↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Empire Tuning > Td5 Upgrade
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Intercept

United Kingdom 2002 Defender 110 Td5 Black LE Java Black
Td5 Upgrade
My Td5 came from its previous owner with an uprated intercooler and remap of unknown source. Whilst it had plenty of power it was mostly in the wrong part of the rev range - fairly docile up to 2K then mental afterwards. Whilst in Wales a couple of years back it needed more rpm than a Defender should to pull itself and a fully loaded Sankey comms trailer uphill at a decent rate. And it smoked a bit when working hard.

So, knowing that they were based in Colchester a few miles down the A12 from me, when I saw Empire's January special offer I took the opportunity to get it put into a known state and solve the problems mentioned above. Gareth found that it was running a very odd map which explained how it had been performing. He then uploaded a new map and spent >2 hours tweaking it to my satisfaction. Definitely not a "one size fits all" service. I'm pleased to report that the throttle response is now more linear and the black smoke has gone. It now feels much more eager in the low rev range and becomes exceptionally keen from 1500rpm to give a very useful mid-range acceleration for safe overtaking.

Right now I'm very happy with it Very Happy

Click image to enlarge
Post #757296 8th Feb 2019 12:25pm
vulcanfreak

2006 Defender 90 Td5 Silver LE Zambezi Silver
But you only went there to get a key fob programmed?
Laughing
Post #757340 8th Feb 2019 5:45pm
Intercept

United Kingdom 2002 Defender 110 Td5 Black LE Java Black
Whistle
Post #757346 8th Feb 2019 5:55pm
Empire Tuning

United Kingdom 
Re: Td5 Upgrade
Intercept wrote:
My Td5 came from its previous owner with an uprated intercooler and remap of unknown source. Whilst it had plenty of power it was mostly in the wrong part of the rev range - fairly docile up to 2K then mental afterwards. Whilst in Wales a couple of years back it needed more rpm than a Defender should to pull itself and a fully loaded Sankey comms trailer uphill at a decent rate. And it smoked a bit when working hard.

So, knowing that they were based in Colchester a few miles down the A12 from me, when I saw Empire's January special offer I took the opportunity to get it put into a known state and solve the problems mentioned above. Gareth found that it was running a very odd map which explained how it had been performing. He then uploaded a new map and spent >2 hours tweaking it to my satisfaction. Definitely not a "one size fits all" service. I'm pleased to report that the throttle response is now more linear and the black smoke has gone. It now feels much more eager in the low rev range and becomes exceptionally keen from 1500rpm to give a very useful mid-range acceleration for safe overtaking.

Right now I'm very happy with it Very Happy

Click image to enlarge

Hello Intercept,

Im really glad your happy with what i did Very Happy, it was a pleasure meeting you and thank you very much for the positive feedback it is greatly appreciated

Remember if you change your setup in the future further tweaks are FOC now your part of the Empire.

Thanks again
Post #762761 10th Mar 2019 10:43am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1