Home > Camping, Caravanning and Holidays > James Baroud or Maggiolina
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
kzycnn

United Kingdom 2003 Defender 110 Td5 XS CSW Oslo Blue
James Baroud or Maggiolina
Hi

I had a Maggiolina Grand Tour for over 8 years but, under pressure from SWBO, reluctantly sold it and moved back to a ground tent. After around a year, She has agreed this was a bad move so we're looking to go back to a roof tent.

It will be either of the two listed i.e another maggi., or the JB. So, a question for the JB users out there... I understand the mesh is on the outside of the doors/windows. If this is correct, how strong is the fabric and does the mesh trap water at all (thinking about our fair climate Smile ).

Any views from established JB owners would be welcome. Are they worth the money? Would you buy again?

I'm the opposite end of the country to Devon4x4 so it would be a long old haul just to view (assuming they had stock, of course Rolling with laughter )

Thanks all.

Tony
Post #761187 28th Feb 2019 2:12pm
bpman

2008 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 SVX Station Wagon Santorini Black
I've had both and the JB is far better built, better mattress, storage, fixings. i'm going to buy a new JB later this year

my 2p
Post #761203 28th Feb 2019 3:34pm
Vogler

Belgium 2015 Defender 110 Td5 HT Chawton White
I wrote a review of our JB here:

http://www.defender2.net/forum/post511268.html#511268

Decent stuff, but two major points of criticism on ours:
- the lack of small awnings to protect the 'windows' from rain
- the gas springs which require too much force to close them. OK for me but a problem for Mrs Vogler, she can't close the tent alone.
Other than that I'm happy with it.

J Antares Treadwell, a MY06 110 Td5 in Chawton White
Post #761219 28th Feb 2019 5:33pm
Mdm

United Kingdom 
i can only vouch for the maggi which i have had for a few years and its been great .warm and comfy

we added the under bed anti moisture mat which worked well.

cleaned and reproofed every year and we did a fair few nights in rough weather without issue.

if you attended the big outdoors we had it there every time.

fast erection and put away/

and they hold good value when you come to sell.

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge
Post #761245 28th Feb 2019 7:28pm
kzycnn

Thanks for the feedback.

The earlier JBs were harder to close - they were updated a couple of years ago, or thereabouts, to correct this issue. It was at this time, I believe, the doors were modified as well, moving the insect mesh to the outside.

Mdm, I'm well aware of the maggi, thanks. No issues at with mine over the eight years of ownership and, yes, it sold quickly (probably too quickly!).

I've spoke the Devon 4x4 who keep a JB explorer as a demo. I'll have to get down there and a have a look as soon as I can - unfortunately they're at the other end of the country to me!

Tony
Post #761349 1st Mar 2019 12:51pm
JOW240725

United Kingdom 2012 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Orkney Grey
I know you've said it's going to be one of the above but since it's relatively new on the market have you looked at the iKamper Skycamp?

Click image to enlarge
 James
MY2012 110 2.2TDCi XS SW Orkney Grey - http://www.defender2.net/forum/topic43410.html
MY1990 110 200TDi SW beautifully faded Portofino Red - https://www.defender2.net/forum/post743641.html#743641
MY1984 90 V8 Slate Grey - https://www.defender2.net/forum/post744557.html#744557
Instagram @suffolk_rovers
Post #761375 1st Mar 2019 2:09pm
Inigo

United Kingdom 2012 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Orkney Grey
I've got a James Baroud Space XXL (bought last summer) and I struggle to close it. Very tough fabric and lovely inside. I added existing condensation mat from old tent which gives a bit more support to the mattress. I'm probably going to add an Ikea mattress topper as well.

Same problem as others, if it rains, difficult to get in and out without getting everything wet. Good hot climate tent though.
Post #761402 1st Mar 2019 4:17pm
kzycnn

Quote:
I know you've said it's going to be one of the above but since it's relatively new on the market have you looked at the iKamper Skycamp?

Had a look at the Skycamp at the LRO show. The boss wasn't too happy about the build quality (stitching) and the thickness (or lack of it Rolling with laughter ) of the mattress. I know this has now been upgraded, but it's still very thin.

Inigo, did you buy new? Reports I've seen say the difficulty of closure is much improved although I've yet to try for myself - never having seen a JB Sad

Tony
Post #762043 5th Mar 2019 4:18pm
Inigo

United Kingdom 2012 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Orkney Grey
Yes, bought new. But only used a few times, maybe it eases up?
The problem is that I have to both pull it down against the gas rams and push it back so the front latches, it wants to come forward. If I leave the front and try to pull down the back, the front pings back up. Exacerbated by being at height. I can, just about, manage it myself, but am sweaty and cursing by the end. Much easier with two people.

Maybe the cuboid versions, rather than my wedge shaped one, pull straight down more easily.
Post #762077 5th Mar 2019 7:34pm
dantastic

United Kingdom 
There is a knack to closing the JB. The first couple of times I seeeriously struggled. The second time it was freezing cold out and it must have taken me half an hour!

Once you figure out the tricks you should be able to put it away in under 2 minutes without breaking a sweat.

I have heard good things about the Maggi extreme but I've never seen one in real life. The JB is the best tent I can think of in hotter climates. Up here I recommend getting the internal insulation layer. It makes a very big difference both to light and heat. I use it most of the year and I only take it off in summer. We camp all year around though.
Post #762128 6th Mar 2019 7:49am
Grenadier

France 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Corris Grey
JOW240725 wrote:

Click image to enlarge

I’m considering one of those. Are you happy with it ? Any thoughts/concerns? Do you have the summer upgrade? Ta Monsieur Le Grenadier

I've not been everywhere, but it's on my list.....

2011 Puma 110DC - Corris Grey
Post #762132 6th Mar 2019 8:03am
bpman

Found these guys in Romsey might be worth a look

https://www.tent-box.com/uk/

£1725 for a hard shell but quite weighty
Post #762744 10th Mar 2019 7:14am
bpman

I picked up this beauty yesterday ... JB Space.. excellent service from the guys at Devon 4x4

Click image to enlarge

(I will be going to the dark side shortly, land cruiser d4-d)
Post #763925 17th Mar 2019 8:56am
markalpha

England 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Santorini Black
Very nice tent Bpman. What size did you go for? Thumbs Up
Post #763936 17th Mar 2019 9:35am
JOW240725

United Kingdom 2012 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Orkney Grey
Apologies Grenadier, only just seen your post.

We're really pleased with it. Very easy to set up, easily sleeps 2 adults and 2 children (10 & Cool. Seems well built, certainly had no issues. Ours is one of the first Kickstarts so doesn't have the modified catch but new ones do.

It is great inside and stays really dark all closed up so kids sleep in even when light unlike normal tents. It does get very warm inside with 4 people and flaps closed even with plastic windows open. Need to modify to allow flaps to be closed but still allow air flow, which would be easy to do.

We have the annex which takes some playing with to get looking decent but only takes 10 minutes. Again it stays dark inside when closed which is good and it is a big space.

It does need additional mattress, we use a couple of self inflating mats.

Can't comment on the summer part as I'm not sure what this is? Is it just the fly sheet option? We don't have this just the poly cotton.

It's our only roof tent so can't compare it but we're really pleased with it, mainly just for size and easy of use. James
MY2012 110 2.2TDCi XS SW Orkney Grey - http://www.defender2.net/forum/topic43410.html
MY1990 110 200TDi SW beautifully faded Portofino Red - https://www.defender2.net/forum/post743641.html#743641
MY1984 90 V8 Slate Grey - https://www.defender2.net/forum/post744557.html#744557
Instagram @suffolk_rovers
Post #763939 17th Mar 2019 9:46am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>