↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Finance & Insurance > Insurance concerns
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 3 123>
Print this entire topic · 
lightning

United Kingdom 
Insurance concerns
I just read an article where a guy had his Defender stolen, and the insurance company kicked out the claim because he hadn’t told them that it had rear seats fitted.
They looked at his online activity and found a picture of his Land Rover on a forum!
He’d bought the Defender with them fitted and not even realised they had been fitted sometime after the vehicle was manufactured.
The insurance company just sent his premium back and cancelled his policy.

It makes you wonder what the insurance companies could use to avoid paying out. I declared the alloys on my 110 TD5 (although most have them, they were not standard except on the XS version)
Towbars, dog guards etc are obvious but what about mud flaps? They weren’t standard. And things like lamp guards/chequer plate pieces.
Are they classed as “modifications” in which case your claim could be thrown out because you fitted mud flaps and chequer plate sill covers?
Definitely worth making sure, as insurance companies have people whose job it is to find ways to avoid paying out.

Also, if you have declared a tracking device, but the subscription has lapsed, you probably won’t be covered for theft even though no policy discount was given for having the tracking device.
The same applies to security products such as disc locks and pedal locks. Although they would have to prove that the device was not fitted.
Read your small print now, not when the scumbags have stolen your Land Rover.
Post #761706 3rd Mar 2019 2:36pm
Swine&Small

United Kingdom 
I think that insurance companies are rejecting claims that involve enhancements that make the vehicle more liable to theft than they were originally aware. These can include expensive alloy wheels and body adornments like air intakes for driving whilst submerged. I advised my insurers that I fitted new carpets once and had to wait while the underwriters were consulted.
Given the age we live in, i would not fit new dust caps on the wheels without telling them and giving them the chance to wriggle out of a claim at a later date.
When they want your premium they are your best friend, when you want their assistance they are your worst enemy.
Just below car salesmen , but still above politicians who are the baseline against whom scum are generally measured. Thumbs Up 1983 Series 3 Pick up in Marine Blue
1967 Morris Traveller
1966 Morris Convertible
2012 VW T5 Camper
Quod Abundat Non Obstat.
Post #761708 3rd Mar 2019 2:49pm
lightning

United Kingdom 
I always found NFU to be above all the rest in terms of looking after their customers, they knew what a Defender was and the difference between roll bars and anti roll bars.
They also gave discount for tracking devices.

Sadly a few years ago they biffed up the premiums by 100% and wanted over £800 to insure our 90, l was happy to pay more to use them but not double what everyone else quoted.
Post #761714 3rd Mar 2019 4:22pm
Swine&Small

United Kingdom 
I as well used NFU and, currently do so for house and contents , but their car premiums are no longer affordable.
My local NFU office told me that it was a waste of time getting a quote for my defender , as he thought it was "not an area of risk that NFU wished to retain". Well. I thought it is roughly in the farming area given the number of farmers around here with Defenders, but, I suspect he meant profits were less than predicted . 1983 Series 3 Pick up in Marine Blue
1967 Morris Traveller
1966 Morris Convertible
2012 VW T5 Camper
Quod Abundat Non Obstat.
Post #761719 3rd Mar 2019 4:45pm
Tommo

United Kingdom 2006 Defender 90 Td5 Black LE Java Black
I would imagine a few on this forum are somewhat worried by this thread as they are continually modifying their defenders Shocked
However, i have no time for insurers and reluctantly pay for cover.
Post #761736 3rd Mar 2019 6:01pm
Swine&Small

United Kingdom 
Just to expand a bit on the point of 'extras'
My current insurers wanted to know about and the value of -:
My Nakatenga wheel carrier
My Remap
My DRL's
My Alive comfort suspension
My Optimill security items
These were from a value, ie added to overall insured value, desirability to thieves point of view and also security.
Interestingly they also considered my Dinitrol treatment an additional modification , which surprised me , but they added the cost to the overall insured amount. Following the start of this thread, I rang insurers to find out the amount of additional premium incurred and was told that it was minimal, under £10 , they again reiterated the importance of disclosure to avoid the policy being voided.
It appears that if I had not told them about the mods, I could have had a problem in the future in the event of a claim
Please take heed and advise insurers if you have not done so..
The remap seemed obvious but the others were not. 1983 Series 3 Pick up in Marine Blue
1967 Morris Traveller
1966 Morris Convertible
2012 VW T5 Camper
Quod Abundat Non Obstat.
Post #761744 3rd Mar 2019 6:23pm
nitram17

Swine who was your insurer?.if your car gets stolen and you dont get it back how will they know whats added ..the same as the suspension if i was in a crash i wouldt expect them to replace like with like ,just put it back to standard ...or reflect the enhancements in the quote ..........has somebody on here had their truck smashed and got the repairs paid for for fancy steerring and suspension and the like?I hope its a myth but didnt somebody get their insurance cancelled because of undeclared stickers in the window.
Post #761747 3rd Mar 2019 6:39pm
lightning

United Kingdom 
Well, the guy l read about was on various forums and the insurance company found pictures of his Defender on there. Don’t forget they have a department that is paid to try and reduce/turn down claims.

Also say your Landy is stolen and then found stripped/smashed up/burnt out. The insurance company examines the remains and notices non standard parts (such as a suspension lift) technically they have grounds to refuse your claim.

For instance on your profile picture if that’s your 90 l can see straight away that it’s got a safety bull bar, roof rack and side steps.
Is it an XS? If not those alloys need declaring as they are not standard fit, it would have come with steels.

I am only doing what the insurance company might do. You see how you can get caught out?
Post #761749 3rd Mar 2019 6:49pm
OsloBlue

United Kingdom 2003 Defender 110 Td5 XS CSW Oslo Blue
nitram17 wrote:
Swine who was your insurer?.if your car gets stolen and you dont get it back how will they know whats added ..the same as the suspension if i was in a crash i wouldt expect them to replace like with like ,just put it back to standard ...or reflect the enhancements in the quote ..........has somebody on here had their truck smashed and got the repairs paid for for fancy steerring and suspension and the like?I hope its a myth but didnt somebody get their insurance cancelled because of undeclared stickers in the window.

The additional premium/adjustment covers the cost of replacing the mods to spec/or add value in the event of a theft. I'm on IG: https://www.instagram.com/osloblue42/
Current: TD5 '110 "Lucinda" Thread here: https://www.defender2.net/forum/topic62562.html
Post #761750 3rd Mar 2019 6:55pm
Swine&Small

United Kingdom 
nitram17 wrote:

My current insurers are Aviva, with whom I contract direct. I guess if you do not tell them they cannot be expected to replace it and if you dangle a nice valuable item in front of a scumbag, do not be surprised if he nicks it. Disclosure is the name of the game.
As an aside , LV refused to quote because of the removable steering wheel. It was not on their spreadsheet!! 1983 Series 3 Pick up in Marine Blue
1967 Morris Traveller
1966 Morris Convertible
2012 VW T5 Camper
Quod Abundat Non Obstat.
Post #761752 3rd Mar 2019 7:03pm
discomog

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Santorini Black
Tommo wrote:

However, i have no time for insurers and reluctantly pay for cover.

I'm with you Tommo, hate insurers with a vengeance. I never buy their "extras" as they are a complete rip off. I want to give them as little business as possible. Defender 90XS SW
Mini Countryman Cooper S
Morgan Plus 8
Post #761753 3rd Mar 2019 7:05pm
jst

2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Stornoway Grey
Swine&Small wrote:
nitram17 wrote:

My current insurers are Aviva, with whom I contract direct. I guess if you do not tell them they cannot be expected to replace it and if you dangle a nice valuable item in front of a scumbag, do not be surprised if he nicks it. Disclosure is the name of the game.
As an aside , LV refused to quote because of the removable steering wheel. It was not on their spreadsheet!!

AVIVA, good luck with them and their claims team if you Are unfortunate enough to need them. 22.3hrs on hold I totalled last year trying to get a no fault claim sorted out.

Needless to say went to nfu this year. Cheers

James
110 XS Utility
130 Puma Station wagon/camper (in the making)
90 Puma Hardtop
Post #761771 3rd Mar 2019 8:13pm
Blackhat90

Scotland 1995 Defender 90 300 Tdi HT Epsom Green
Swine&Small wrote:
I as well used NFU and, currently do so for house and contents , but their car premiums are no longer affordable.
My local NFU office told me that it was a waste of time getting a quote for my defender , .

I just renewed my policy with NFU, £170. fully comp, Defender 300 tdi
Post #761780 3rd Mar 2019 9:37pm
Swine&Small

United Kingdom 
Lucky you no such quote for my 2015 model Big Cry 1983 Series 3 Pick up in Marine Blue
1967 Morris Traveller
1966 Morris Convertible
2012 VW T5 Camper
Quod Abundat Non Obstat.
Post #761784 3rd Mar 2019 10:03pm
lightning

United Kingdom 
Just declare any extras or modifications.

I declared everything on mine even the mud flaps and it made no difference to the premium.
Post #761822 4th Mar 2019 9:25am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 3 123>