↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Camping, Caravanning and Holidays > Lhasa to Katmandu Overland
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Swine&Small

United Kingdom 
Lhasa to Katmandu Overland
Starting to plan this trip. So far fly to Beijing, then train to Xian ,train to Lhasa, pick up Defender drive to Katmandu,Nepal.
Anyone done this and any tips or advice gratefully received Thumbs Up 1983 Series 3 Pick up in Marine Blue
1967 Morris Traveller
1966 Morris Convertible
2012 VW T5 Camper
Quod Abundat Non Obstat.
Post #759276 17th Feb 2019 7:45pm
JOW240725

United Kingdom 2012 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Orkney Grey
Can't help I'm afraid, but sounds amazing, good luck. Thumbs Up James
MY2012 110 2.2TDCi XS SW Orkney Grey - http://www.defender2.net/forum/topic43410.html
MY1990 110 200TDi SW beautifully faded Portofino Red - https://www.defender2.net/forum/post743641.html#743641
MY1984 90 V8 Slate Grey - https://www.defender2.net/forum/post744557.html#744557
Instagram @suffolk_rovers
Post #759295 17th Feb 2019 9:08pm
Swine&Small

United Kingdom 
At my age you have to do it while you can. Insurers say when I get to 80, not that long to go, they will no longer insure me.
Miserable B......s Big Cry 1983 Series 3 Pick up in Marine Blue
1967 Morris Traveller
1966 Morris Convertible
2012 VW T5 Camper
Quod Abundat Non Obstat.
Post #759303 17th Feb 2019 9:22pm
Alitaff

United Kingdom 
Hi,

I worked on contracts in 36 countries but not where you are going.
In certain countries, I always kept away from eating salads and ice cubes if the tap water was not safe to drink.
I also only ate fruits that I could peel.
Always bottled water from a decent shop if possible so it is not been kept outside the shop in the sun.
Mosquito net and a decent first aid kit are good to have.

It sounds an amazing trip so enjoy it and don’t forget to take photos πŸ˜‚!

Have a safe journey πŸ‘
Post #759331 18th Feb 2019 3:11am
MetalMatt

United Kingdom 1989 Defender 90 300 Tdi HT Baltic Blue
Not done the trip, but i have been to katmandu and spent a month in nepal building a school in a very remote mountain top village at about 13,000FT, you feel the affects of the altitude.
Driving in katmandu is interesting they dont believe in indicators (or didnt when i was there) they like to use there horns (2 quick blasts on the horn meant they were coming on the right hand side of you)
As already said bottled water from a decent shop and make sure the lid is fastened and not a broken seal on it.
Didnt really have an issue with the food, Trip advisor helped with finding restaurants that were decent.

i am heading back to Nepal hopefully next year to walk to Everest Base Camp, and reading online it sounds like you will be driving close to Everest base camp probably on the North side

Sounds like an amazing experience and trip.
Nepal is a lovely country with a diverse culture and everyone is friendly Smile
Stay safe and don't drive at night Thumbs Up Thumbs Up

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge
 1995 Land Rover Discovery 300tdi - Sold
1989 Land Rover 90 - Rebuilding/built - its a project
2002 Land Rover Discovery TD5 - Sold
2017 Mini JCW F56 - Current Daily Driver
Post #759369 18th Feb 2019 10:10am
Swine&Small

United Kingdom 
Thanks for your tips. I was in Katmandu myself, but it was nearly 20 years ago before the a lot of the Royal family were killed.There was only running water for about 2 hours each day.I cannot imagine that it has changed a great deal in that time.
You are correct Everest Base Camp is in our sights. I was not intending to be restricted to where the vehicle could go but to use it for the main drive from Lhasa, but branching out where ever possible along the way .Surprisingly the Chinese authorities are being very helpful.We are currently planning on it taking about a month.
A good supply of bottled water is on our list along with First Aid kit and antibiotics.
Any help appreciated as neither Small nor I have been any further west in Nepal than Pokhara and Annapurna. 1983 Series 3 Pick up in Marine Blue
1967 Morris Traveller
1966 Morris Convertible
2012 VW T5 Camper
Quod Abundat Non Obstat.
Post #759372 18th Feb 2019 10:28am
MetalMatt

Quote:
Thanks for your tips. I was in Katmandu myself, but it was nearly 20 years ago before the a lot of the Royal family were killed.There was only running water for about 2 hours each day.I cannot imagine that it has changed a great deal in that time.
You are correct Everest Base Camp is in our sights. I was not intending to be restricted to where the vehicle could go but to use it for the main drive from Lhasa, but branching out where ever possible along the way .Surprisingly the Chinese authorities are being very helpful.We are currently planning on it taking about a month.
A good supply of bottled water is on our list along with First Aid kit and antibiotics.
Any help appreciated as neither Small nor I have been any further west in Nepal than Pokhara and Annapurna.

I was in Nepal about 8 years ago, running water wasnt an issue it was the electricity that went out about every 3 hours or so.
I didnt go past Pokhara whilst i was there either. spent 3 days in Pokhara, 4 in Kathmandu and the rest on the building site.
Well i am kind of jealous now haha Smile The boss has told me am not allowed to summit Everest, so walking to base camp will do Smile
Well your in the right vehicle to take on the rough roads Smile Thumbs Up 1995 Land Rover Discovery 300tdi - Sold
Post #759374 18th Feb 2019 10:52am
Inigo

United Kingdom 2012 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Orkney Grey
We did Lhasa to Kathmandu about 15 years ago, but not self drive. The rule at that time was that you were required to have a local guide and driver (hence why my 110 has 2 more seats than members of my family - just in case we can do it again). Also needed to check in every eveinng with the PSB.

We were in a group of 6 tourists (2 brits, 2 greeks and 2 swedes) 2 Nepalese guides (one was a trainee), Tibetan guide and Tibetan driver so ended up in a small bus. Quite impressive driving from the local guy, only two wheel drive and bald chinese tyres.

Very little left of Tibetan Llhasa at that time, I suspect more has gone. Railway hadn't been build then so influx of Han chinese not as great as now. Also, new Chinese roads were still being built so the further away you got from Llhasa the more Tibetan it was. We took 8 days to reach the border, but spent quite a lot of time in the monasteries on the way - very useful having a knowledgeable and passionate guide. We were quizzed in the evenings to make sure that we had been paying attention during the day!

Annoyingly, we missed out Everest Base Camp as we were all knackered and didn't fancy the extra 4 hours drive that day - in hindsight we should have gone.

Pre-digital, so I only have a small selection of scanned photos from the time. I always mean to revisit them and scan the negs again, but it was a painful and long-winded process. I'll see what I can find this evening.

Here is our bus on the descent back down through Nepal (Maoist rebels had called a three day general strike and warned that they would shoot anyone who broke the strike, so no traffic for three days, so the continuous erosion of the roads meant that we were the first to meet this rockfall. Driver's plan was to turn back, but there were enough of us on board to move the rocks by hand).

Post #759383 18th Feb 2019 12:37pm
wyvern

United Kingdom 2012 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Firenze Red
We cycled the area for a few months from the Chitwan over to Pokhara and into the valley to Katmandu and then up to the Tibetan boarder in the 1980’s - wonderful country and lovely people.
We had a katharine water filter that we used several times a day and had no issues. Food was easily obtained, and roads were low standard but impressive views. The Siddhartha highway follows one of the kosi rivers and was a lovely route to follow.

very jealous !
Bow down Poppy - TDCI (Puma) 110XS 2.2 - Camper conversion - see the build here - https://www.defender2.net/forum/topic56530.html
Elgar -TDCI(Puma) 110XS Dormobile - now sold
Devon & Cornwall 4x4 Response - DC126
Post #759389 18th Feb 2019 1:05pm
strang

United Kingdom 2009 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Galway Green
A mate of mine was attached to the British Gurkha's there - lucky git! (I would have stayed in the Army if I could have got posted there) anyway, because of there we had a couple of great holidays. Spent all the time travelling around in 110s with a Gurkha driver. Euro-Leafing to infinity and beyond.....
Post #759446 18th Feb 2019 6:27pm
leeds

United Kingdom 
In some ways S&S I am slightly jealous but good luck and enjoyed the trip.

Have had 8 trips to Nepal in the 80s and 90s and it is a fascinating country which was going through many changes. The people there are tough little people but extremely friendly.

One of the most beautiful place I stayed at was also in some ways the most horrendous. I stay at a leprosy hospital in the hills outside Kathmandu for a couple of days. A beautiful, peaceful spot with very friendly staff and patients. However seen full blown leprosy is a horrendous sight and what the patients had to endure was horrible in the trips between hospital and home.

Now if anyone goes to the Nepalese base camp then try and get as high as possible on Kala Patthar as the views into Everest base camp and the south face are incredible.

Enjoy your trip and take many photos.

Brendan
Post #759455 18th Feb 2019 7:26pm
Tribord

France 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS DCPU Zermatt Silver
I have travelled Beijing->Xian->Lhasa, but before the train line was built, so went by truck from Golmud, and was then arrested and treated to a short stay in prison before being sent back (independent travel was not legal) πŸ™

do you have to pay for a local 'guide' to accompany you for the Tibetan part of the journey? Are you renting or buying the vehicle ? I am wondering how the cross border paperwork will be done, and can't imagine how it will be done if just one way trip!

I have travelled in Kathmandu by truck, bus and bike, always opting for the roof because always more comfortable, but also giving the option for a quick exit in case vehicle leaves the pass!

You could check on The Hubb (horizons unlimited) forum for latest info from like minded independent.travellers.

Will be a great trip!
Post #759463 18th Feb 2019 7:46pm
MetalMatt

Quote:
Now if anyone goes to the Nepalese base camp then try and get as high as possible on Kala Patthar as the views into Everest base camp and the south face are incredible.

This is what i am hopefully going to attempt to do next year Smile 1995 Land Rover Discovery 300tdi - Sold
Post #759549 19th Feb 2019 9:24am
Swine&Small

United Kingdom 
Tribord wrote:
I have travelled Beijing->Xian->Lhasa, but before the train line was built, so went by truck from Golmud, and was then arrested and treated to a short stay in prison before being sent back (independent travel was not legal) πŸ™

do you have to pay for a local 'guide' to accompany you for the Tibetan part of the journey? Are you renting or buying the vehicle ? I am wondering how the cross border paperwork will be done, and can't imagine how it will be done if just one way trip!

I have travelled in Kathmandu by truck, bus and bike, always opting for the roof because always more comfortable, but also giving the option for a quick exit in case vehicle leaves the pass!

You could check on The Hubb (horizons unlimited) forum for latest info from like minded independent.travellers.

Will be a great trip!

Yes we are renting a vehicle, had a choice of a defender or Chinese . So went defender. A guide is required but locals tell me that he /she will be a passenger only as it is a political requirement.I am currently trying to arrange a vehicle change over at the Nepalese border.
The last time we did this sort of trip it was the Sela Pass between Tawang and West Kamang in Aranchai Pradesh. The locals were very helpful as they had 'glued ' new treads on the bald tyres with Bostick. A great confidence booster at 13000 feet in the frozen mountains , but everything held up Very Happy 1983 Series 3 Pick up in Marine Blue
1967 Morris Traveller
1966 Morris Convertible
2012 VW T5 Camper
Quod Abundat Non Obstat.
Post #759553 19th Feb 2019 9:41am
Grenadier

France 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Corris Grey
Not been to Nepal in over 20 years but still remains one of my favourite ever trips. So I can't offer any practical help S&S however I can tell you that I am very, very, very jealous Big Cry Monsieur Le Grenadier

I've not been everywhere, but it's on my list.....

2011 Puma 110DC - Corris Grey
Post #760506 24th Feb 2019 8:19am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1