And this:
Quote:
You have all got too much time on your hands 🙄🙄
Post #759063 16th Feb 2019 8:20pm
Supacat

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS DCPU Keswick Green
Why You Should Cover Your Spare Tire
A variation on the theme...

"If you have a Jeep, truck or SUV with a spare tire hanging out outside, I recommend putting a cover on it. Not just for the self-expression opportunity; (prime real estate for a Life Is Good stick figure!) but to make your tire last longer.

Tires are alive. Well, not really, but they are somewhat organic. Maybe it’s easier just to say: like a muscle, they work best when exercised. And when they sit in the sun without moving, they wrinkle and crack and can get used up without getting a single mile on them.

If a tire gets driven on, it gets flexed and heat-cycled. As a result, the tire stays supple like the skin of a healthy mammal. If it’s never worked, the sun’s UV rays make it cracked and uneven like the skin of a reptile. But unlike a crocodile, a cracked tire isn’t tough at all. It’s brittle and at high risk of popping.

Of course, all your tires are out in the sun for the same amount of time. But they’re engineered to be used, so when you roll about your business, the tire’s flexing keeps it supple. The unused tire doesn’t get that.

Ideally, you rotate your tires often enough (like every other oil change or so) that no one tire is ever out in the cold on an external mount for too long. But if you don’t drive that often, or if you’re like me and sometimes leave one of your vehicles parked for a couple of months and totally forget about it, a cover can go a long way toward prolonging the life of your spare."

https://jalopnik.com/why-you-should-cover-...1840537445
Post #807238 22nd Dec 2019 6:13pm
LandRoverAnorak

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Orkney Grey
This has been common knowledge for years, hasn't it? I remember this being discussed on forums nearly twenty years ago and have always had a rear mounted spare covered as a result. Darren

110 USW BUILD THREAD - EXPEDITION TRAILER - 200tdi 90 BUILD THREAD - SANKEY TRAILER - IG@landroveranorak

"You came in that thing? You're braver than I thought!" - Princess Leia
Post #807300 23rd Dec 2019 9:17am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 3 of 3 <123