↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Technical > 2013 110 Puma - clunk noise from rear
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 4 <1234>
Print this entire topic · 
redline

Switzerland 
You might want to confirm what A-frame ball joint it was replaced by. I accidentally had to install a blue-boxed version, and it was clunking again within 6 months. Then replaced with an original LR part, and two years later its still nice and tight.
Post #746078 16th Dec 2018 10:44pm
Tumbiri

2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Orkney Grey
1) The A-Frame ball joint assy that was fitted is OEM PN RHF500110P1. The clunk has been there since the axle and ball joint replacement in July 2016. It has done just about 20,000 Km since then.
2) Park brake grabbing checked. All good there.
3) Drive flanges checked. There is some movement there. But doesn't appear to be excessive.
4) Checked prop shaft play (neutral, park brake off). There is some play but not sure if this is excessive. There is a noise in the diff when I rotate the shaft back and forth.
5) Checked wheel rotation against prop shaft rotation. There is a lag before the prop shaft engages but again this doesn't seem to be excessive.

I have videos for 3), 4) and 5) but I have no option to upload them. Help!

There is no clunk when driving and changing gears. Gear changes are smooth and the only time I get a noise from the drive train is when I mess up the gear-speed combination.

The clunk happens when the vehicle comes to a stop on a slope as it rocks forward after I set the park brake and release the foot brake.
Post #746083 16th Dec 2018 11:33pm
redline

Switzerland 
Not saying that this is the problem, but your A-frame ball joint part number does not seem to be the LR one, but an OEM part.

On my vehicle I also changed the all bushes on the rear radius and trailing arms, which noticeably reduced clunking when driving over speed-bumps, and during torque reversals (braking or accelerating). Again, most likely not your issue, but something to bear in mind.

Post #746102 17th Dec 2018 8:20am
Tumbiri

Thanks for that. Do you know if there are any dimensional differences between the Genuine and OEM ball joint?
I note that the "pivot bracket ball joint to axle bracket" torque value (130 lb/ft) is quite high. Haven't had a chance to check it yet but was thinking perhaps a low torque would allow sufficient movement to cause the clunk (don't know how much clearance there is between the pin and the mount bracket).

And Happy New year to all.......appreciate all the inputs
Post #748040 30th Dec 2018 3:06pm
Cupboard

United Kingdom 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 HT Corris Grey
I had a horrible clonking that turned out to be due to loose nuts holding the propshafts in. Replaced the nylocs, tightened them up and it was massively improved.
Post #748130 30th Dec 2018 10:20pm
ickle

France 2008 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 CSW Alpine White
Gearbox adaptor shaft worn splines?
Post #748143 30th Dec 2018 10:39pm
Tumbiri

Found the source of the problem. I had previously checked for park brake grabbing and all seemed good. Park brake was however still top of my list. I removed the drum and inspected the assembly; nothing obvious. Adjusted the brake shoes. Then while driving I pulled the park brake and there it was, the clunk! And at the same time I felt the kick back in the park brake lever. Something is catching but not sure what. For the moment I'll live with it.
Post #758309 13th Feb 2019 7:55am
Tumbiri

Well I was wrong thinking it was the parking brake. I've been living with the clunk all these months trying hard to ignore it (urgh!). LandRoverAnorak was correct! I recently replaced the A-Frame ball joint as the dust rubber cap had split. Et voila, no more clunk!

And 'redline' you were also correct. The new ball joint is a RHF500110 - Genuine!

Thanks all.

Clunkless in Paradise! Very Happy ........until the next problem Rolling Eyes
Post #836454 10th Jun 2020 11:32pm
HardCharger

2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 SW Stornoway Grey
Since we're on the subject of the rear A-frame ball joint, what's your take on the greaseable ones with the higher angles of play? Saw them on LR Parts and also being offered by Gwyn Lewis.

Is it worth the upgrade or should I just stick to what came from the factory?

I've been hearing clunks from the rear and an examination of this ball joint shows that the boot is ripped and it's all crud up there.

As for the rear drive members, I'm also got slack back when I ran over a boulder a few months back and I'm also thinking of upgrading to the one piece versions. This being the case, asides from the once piece units, is there anything else I should be ordering with them to ensure a one time fitting for the foreseeable future?

Thanks in advance!
Post #836457 11th Jun 2020 1:57am
wyvern

United Kingdom 2012 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Firenze Red
can anyone post a picture of where the a frame ball joint is for me so as I can check my partners 110 which seems to have a little clunk ...
many thanks
Thumbs Up Poppy - TDCI (Puma) 110XS 2.2 - Camper conversion - see the build here - https://www.defender2.net/forum/topic56530.html
Elgar -TDCI(Puma) 110XS Dormobile - now sold
Devon & Cornwall 4x4 Response - DC126
Post #836473 11th Jun 2020 8:28am
blackwolf

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Stornoway Grey
Follow the link below and scroll about 2/3 of the way down the page, there's a picture of the rear of a chassis (without the body) showing very clearly where it is. It's at the axle end of the "V"-shaped assembly adjacent to the diff.

http://forum.difflock.com/viewtopic.php?t=...92b2d4dd0a
Post #836487 11th Jun 2020 9:46am
wyvern

United Kingdom 2012 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Firenze Red
many thanks Blackwolf ! Thumbs Up

- i’ll have a scramble under and see what its like compared between the 2 vehicles ! Poppy - TDCI (Puma) 110XS 2.2 - Camper conversion - see the build here - https://www.defender2.net/forum/topic56530.html
Elgar -TDCI(Puma) 110XS Dormobile - now sold
Devon & Cornwall 4x4 Response - DC126
Post #836531 11th Jun 2020 12:05pm
blackwolf

Sadly it is often difficult to detect movement except when it clunks, and often the only way to check it is to replace it.

If you do replace it, be aware that removing the old ball-joint from the housing can be extremely difficult and it is usually easier to buy a new bj pre-fitted in the knuckle.
Post #836565 11th Jun 2020 2:00pm
Pacha

United Kingdom 2008 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 HT Stornoway Grey
^^^^^

Amen, buy the knuckle with one fitted - took me 3 hours to separate mine and press the new one in. 12 ton press would not push the old one out, so I ended up cutting it to pieces and collapsing it with a chisel. Rgds.

Chris
Post #836593 11th Jun 2020 3:24pm
blackwolf

I'm refurbishing a top A frame to use as a replacement for the rusty one on my '07 DC, and, as above, a 12-tonne press has made no impression whatsoever on the old ball-joint. Next step is a 50-tonne press, simply because I don't like being beaten.

Pointless really since I have already ordered a GL greasable one pre-fitted to a knuckle, I just don't want to be beaten.

I hadn't realised until I started shopping for parts that the chassis-end bolts got smaller in 2009. Up to then, the two bolts are 3/4" UNF, after then they are only a puny M16. So be careful when buying the bushes or the chassis brackets to get the right ones.
Post #836605 11th Jun 2020 4:29pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 4 <1234>