↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > V8 > So You Want a V8 Ninety?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 3 <123>
Print this entire topic · 
JOW240725

United Kingdom 2012 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Orkney Grey
I hadn't noticed it was just up the road! Not heard of them before. Way way out of my budget though!

Agree 205 and bullbar need to go! James
MY2012 110 2.2TDCi XS SW Orkney Grey - http://www.defender2.net/forum/topic43410.html
MY1990 110 200TDi SW beautifully faded Portofino Red - https://www.defender2.net/forum/post743641.html#743641
MY1984 90 V8 Slate Grey - https://www.defender2.net/forum/post744557.html#744557
Instagram @suffolk_rovers
Post #757235 7th Feb 2019 11:02pm
oneten110

United Kingdom 
defender9 wrote:
Yes 205’s on a One Ten look silly as does the bull bar. There are a few things to correct if you wanted to be spot on wrt originality. Not sure how easy it would be to find the correct badge on the grill panel or the correct front seat bases. It’s a nice thing though, clean, tidy and useable. I would be happy to have it on the drive.

https://www.brit-car.co.uk/product.php/977...ver110_def
That is the badge sorted and presumably the front seat cushion fabric could be found at somewhere like exmoor trim
https://www.exmoortrim.co.uk/swatches It is not a Defender, it is a One_Ten
Post #757400 8th Feb 2019 7:55pm
Slideywindows

England 
Not quite so easy.

The badge in the Brit-car link is a decal whereas One Tens of this age had a riveted-on plastic badge. Someone had a few of these re-made and they were a pretty good facsimile. Probably all gone now.

I don't think Exmoor have a match for the Brushwood trim (stand to be corrected) but a chap on eBay was selling some of the original material by the metre. I bought several metres for when I get round to having my seats repaired.

Correct parts for these early One Tens are getting harder to find new, and owners need to keep an eye out because even used parts like split door trims are getting harder to find.

Poorly/cheaply restored vehicles will become the norm.
Post #757624 9th Feb 2019 8:34pm
oneten110

United Kingdom 
The parts list (One_Ten up to 1986) doesn't list a badge on the grille panel, though it details the body tapes and "county" badge. The MUC2003 badge is listed for the 1984 facelift models. Also read a couple of articles about the original press launch and the vehicles pictured therein had the decal fitted.

https://www.lro.com/reviews/featured-vehic...the-rarest
https://www.pressreader.com/uk/lro-uk/20180301/284094911913091

Click image to enlarge

The brochure for the early One_Ten (brochure LR229/2.82/200M) shows all of the vehicles with the decal type front badge.

Thinking about it you might be able to help me with a part No, for the seal betwixt the upper and lower parts of the rear side door. I have tried MTC6224 (as shown in the parts list) and it does not fit, that is also the part No for the same seal on the front door, which it does fit. It is not a Defender, it is a One_Ten
Post #757792 10th Feb 2019 4:03pm
Slideywindows

England 
You need the earlier (first) One Ten Parts Catalogue, dated September 1983.

The rivet-on plastic badge is MTC6979 (I can give you the part number of the rivets if you like! Laughing)

I have three early One Tens, they all have the plastic badge.

The images in the first brochure have been extensively air-brushed (look at the shiny chrome-effect bumpers!)

There is a facebook group specifically for prototype, pre-production and early production One Tens, with many owners of slidey-window One Tens on there including those of us who have studied them for years. You could go on there and suggest these vehicles had decals rather than plastic badges! Wink

Yes, that is an interesting vehicle in the LRO link.

It belongs to me - and has the plastic name badge!

The decal would have come in with the facelift models (or possibly with the last slidey-window vehicles, if stocks of the badge had run out).

The earliest Parts Book also gives MTC 6224 as the seal for front and rear side doors.

This Book is so early it contains some inaccuracies and even some pre-production parts that did not make it onto production vehicles.

Subsequent Parts Books tidied up the inaccuracies, so if the later versions still give MTC 6224 I would expect it to be correct. (Haven't bought that part myself).

If it doesn't fit, that is interesting.
Post #757829 10th Feb 2019 7:43pm
defender9

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 SW Keswick Green
When did the facelift occur? I have seen three A registered One Tens in the last 6 months with the plastic riveted on front badge.
Post #757836 10th Feb 2019 7:56pm
Slideywindows

England 
The facelift One Ten launch coincided with the launch of the Ninety in June 1984.

However, I have seen precious few A plate facelift One Tens, which makes me surmise that they were mostly selling off the old models first and didn't supply many facelift models until the B plate came in on 1st Aug 1984.

What would be interesting is if anyone has spotted a facelift (wind-up window) model with the plastic grille badge, rather than the decal.
Post #757840 10th Feb 2019 8:05pm
defender9

Thank you Slidey. The A plates I have seen were pre facelift then as they had the two piece doors with the very nice sliding windows.
Post #757883 10th Feb 2019 10:06pm
oneten110

United Kingdom 
Slideywindows wrote:
The facelift One Ten launch coincided with the launch of the Ninety in June 1984.

However, I have seen precious few A plate facelift One Tens, which makes me surmise that they were mostly selling off the old models first and didn't supply many facelift models until the B plate came in on 1st Aug 1984.

What would be interesting is if anyone has spotted a facelift (wind-up window) model with the plastic grille badge, rather than the decal.

Thank you for the clarification.
Just managed to expand the picture of the green CWK csw and I can just about spot the rivets holding the badge in place. If you wanted some made, there is a company, in Thirsk, North Yoqrkshire, I have used in the past. They made me some replica Speedo dials for an early Kawasaki and some military ID plates for an early 2a airportable. They also make badges for Aston Martin, so if you could provide them with an original to work from, the replica would be indistinguishable from the original
The brochure I have shows them with galvanised bumpers. Or is that just my old eyes deceiving me?
I remember reading somewhere that Land Rover recalled all the unsold early vehicles and selling them through Bristol Street motors, but that was years ago and we all know how reliable journalists are.
In the case of the seals the book shows the same part number for both doors and, having ordered a pair for mine own rear doors, they very definitely don't fit. I ended up using a pair of pattern series front door seals. If you order using that part number these days, you end up getting WOLF front door seals, which are completely different.
Don't know if it is still the case but Craddocks had some NOS rear door bottoms.
I also had the misfortune to buy a pair of new upper door trims, advertised as being for the rear doors, turned out to be for the front doors. When I sold them, they raised the princely sum of 9p on eBay after a furious bidding spree in the last few seconds. Bought by somebody from New York.
Some years ago I used to see a CWK reg station wagon quite often, caramel coloured, navigating parliament square before going down either Victoria street or, occasionally, Great George street. Couldn't tell you which engine because I always had a helmet and ear plugs and couldn't hear it.
Also remember seeing an early camel trophy 110 Csw with selectable 4wd, registered in Switzerland, for sale on eBay.
Finally, see you knew I'd shut up eventually, there is another part No you might be able to help me with, never seen it in any parts book, it is the steel support bracket, fitted in the rear tub, just behind the middle set of doors, the galvaniser lost mine. They were deleted in later years. It is not a Defender, it is a One_Ten
Post #757904 11th Feb 2019 8:18am
oneten110

United Kingdom 
Remembered the name of the place.
https://www.gsmgraphicarts.com/logo-badges/ It is not a Defender, it is a One_Ten
Post #757984 11th Feb 2019 4:17pm
Slideywindows

England 
A "caramel coloured" Station Wagon would probably be Limestone all over.

Like this:

Click image to enlarge

(All sliding-window One Tens had Limestone uppers, no matter what the lower colour was).

All-over Limestone was not a popular choice in the UK because there was a whole range of new exciting colours now available, so this colour went mostly overseas to warm climate countries, as white was not a standard colour until, I think, the facelift models.

Not sure which bracket you mean.

If you could take a photo of the location, with an arrow pointing to where it should be, that might help.
Post #758010 11th Feb 2019 6:23pm
oneten110

United Kingdom 
No, my eyesight isn't quite that bad, the vehicle in parliament square had the limestone uppers but the lower was very definitely a caramel colour, not as dark as the brown, not "sand glow" either, lighter than that. Not saying it was an original colour. Vehicle was in immaculate condition though.
Thank you for the kind offer, I'llll see what I can do about pictures, probably some time tomorrow.
Never seen a facelift in white, ever. It is not a Defender, it is a One_Ten
Post #758074 11th Feb 2019 9:45pm
datcullen

2015 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Java Black
I'm sure you've already spotted this early slidey window 110 on ebay - with what looks like a riveted badge Very Happy

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/landrover-serie...4189037832

Personally I'm loving the cassette holder - can anyone remember what the brand name was? I had a 10-tape handheld version (too young to drive at that point) to go with my sports walkman. 110 UW - '15 2.2
90 - '85 V8 soft-top
RRC - '84 5 door, Option Pack C, 33k miles from new
---
Elise S1 - '00 Millennium SE
Elan +2 - '68 kit built by my dad
Panda 4x4 - '87 in Italy
Post #758102 12th Feb 2019 8:02am
defender9

It’s a 109 that’s been “modernised”
Post #758122 12th Feb 2019 10:33am
datcullen

2015 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Java Black
Ah yes - the clue was in the title of the advert wasn't it?!

Silly me. Nothing to see here Whistle 110 UW - '15 2.2
90 - '85 V8 soft-top
RRC - '84 5 door, Option Pack C, 33k miles from new
---
Elise S1 - '00 Millennium SE
Elan +2 - '68 kit built by my dad
Panda 4x4 - '87 in Italy
Post #758123 12th Feb 2019 10:35am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 3 <123>