Home > Off Topic > Its all a big con
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Tommo

United Kingdom 2006 Defender 90 Td5 Black LE Java Black
Its all a big con
So EVs, here to save the planet Whistle
However, we will pay for the privilege as although they may not be classed as polluting and therefore face reduced or no tax due to pollution they will however be liable for tax if they cost £40k plus for 5 years Shocked
Also, once this is out the way and there is more EVs then to overcome the 28billion shortfall in revenue from road tax you may end up paying a tax for the miles you do.
So EVs, dirty business to get the components for the batteries, batteries need replacing every 10 years or so, at present not all the battery can be recycled and how is this good for the environment when there are other better ways to reduce emissions:
-reduce air travel
-stop eating meat one day per week
-stop use of non essential plastics
-grow most of our food here so reduce fuel cost
-cut down on nipping to the shops in the car and walk or cycle or god forbid use public transport
So, EVs to save the planet is a big con!!
Rant over...just had a bad day at work Rolling Eyes
Post #755277 31st Jan 2019 4:08pm
dorsetsmith

ALso HYBRID 5 year old battery packs ARE Completely F*** Censored running around petrol engine dragging 700kg dead battery packs also battery go around planet 2 time before being too run car

30 year running on one set of battery to offset damage and on average good for 5 year max Censored
Post #755280 31st Jan 2019 4:30pm
discomog

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Santorini Black
I liked Tommo's rant, particularly about air travel. My wife and I were poo picking in our paddocks yesterday when we both remarked on the number of aircraft overhead (it was a lovely clear day in Lincolnshire). We counted 14, all within sight at the same time and passing from east to west, six of them were four engined jets. Shudder to think about the carbon footprint of that lot. Defender 90XS SW
Mini Countryman Cooper S
Morgan Plus 8
Post #755282 31st Jan 2019 4:45pm
jst

2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Stornoway Grey
Discomog, I think you should clarify your activity as being horse related! I am guessing? Cheers

James
110 XS Utility
130 Puma Station wagon/camper (in the making)
90 Puma Hardtop
Post #755286 31st Jan 2019 4:52pm
Zed

United Kingdom 2010 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Santorini Black
That or a very strange hobby.

JLR have just released a film called Going Electric. Didn't get further than the trailer myself and wasn't going to pay for it. It looked like a crappy corporate video to me but may be of interest to some. It is free if you have Amazon prime.
Post #755287 31st Jan 2019 4:59pm
discomog

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Santorini Black
JST, just to confirm that the poo is of the equine variety. We have some bizarre pastimes in Lincolnshire, a combination of plane spotting and poo picking is one of the less offensive ones Rolling with laughter Defender 90XS SW
Mini Countryman Cooper S
Morgan Plus 8
Post #755294 31st Jan 2019 5:38pm
excossack

United Kingdom 1999 Defender 110 Td5 SW Caledonian Blue
Could be worse, plane poo picking.... 1999 Defender TD5 110

Regards
John M0VAZ
Econet Station 48 no clock
Post #755310 31st Jan 2019 7:23pm
Cupboard

United Kingdom 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 HT Corris Grey
Completely agree about the comments on planes, food, plastics (although we need to be careful not to demonise sensible use of plastics and force people in to using worse things) and the concept of a 2t lump of metal ferrying around a 100kg human, the proportions are all wrong.

However EVs are not work of the devil. The vast majority of the batteries can be sensibly recycled, and whilst they do have some nasty bits in them that require environmentally hazardous mining/extraction they don't have anything on the environmental impact of bringing oil out of the ground. If you have to drive somewhere, an EV is by far the least bad way of doing it even if your electricity is from coal (which it isn't).

A little known fact is how much electricity fossil fuel burning cars use as a result of refining oil. The electricity used to produce enough petrol to drive an ICE car 10 miles will drive an equivalent EV 5 miles. EVs do use more electricity than ICE cars but far less than you might thing, and most use it at a useful time of day (overnight) rather than at peak periods.

EVs are a very small part of a very big problem, but that doesn't mean they don't have a place.

Edit to add: I'm really irritated by Ecotricity's "vegan electricity" adverts going round at the moment. Generating electricity from waste is an eminently sensible thing to do, no matter where the waste comes from.
Post #755337 31st Jan 2019 8:29pm
davew

England 1990 Defender 90 V8 Petrol PU Auto Rioja Red
Zed wrote:
That or a very strange hobby.

JLR have just released a film called Going Electric. Didn't get further than the trailer myself and wasn't going to pay for it. It looked like a crappy corporate video to me but may be of interest to some. It is free if you have Amazon prime.

It's not a bad documentary although a bit light in detail for me in places. There is some interesting info on the engine/transmission and the battery pack but it does go a bit heavy into styling and comfort so a bit frustrating from an engineering PoV. They also gloss over a few bits, like when they are doing a continuous high speed test, they bring the vehicle in from time to time and lift it into the air, checking brakes, wheels, steering etc... for safety then the vehicle drives back out of the garage and carries on... no mention of having to wait until it's charged back up again ! http://www.yorkshireoffroadclub.net/
Post #755363 31st Jan 2019 9:39pm
davew

England 1990 Defender 90 V8 Petrol PU Auto Rioja Red
Regarding the EV versus ICE debate...I wonder how efficient this is...

https://www.harrogateadvertiser.co.uk/news...-1-9433065 http://www.yorkshireoffroadclub.net/
Post #755364 31st Jan 2019 9:43pm
Rashers

United Kingdom 2014 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Corris Grey
Until it stopped working, I had an aircraft tracker app on my iPad.
Yes, it’s really scary the shear amount of planes that are over head.

We see the corridor of planes in Norfolk which fly north of the coast, across The Wash and are the one’s Dicomog can see above him in Lincolnshire. They are usually planes from Europe and the Middle East flying to Canada and the US. They then go up towards Scotland and thus infamously over Lockerbie.

I haven’t flown in five years. I may have taken three long haul and four or five short haul flights in the previous 10 years to that. When you consider the millions of people flying from UK airports every year, someone is flying more frequently than me and the current Mrs Rashers!

It will be a brave politician/environmentalist that tells the great British public they can’t fly to go on holiday.

I still wonder who’s taking all these flights. It’s definately not me and it’s not the people I work with?
Post #755367 31st Jan 2019 9:54pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1