↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Off Topic > can i have a moan
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
andydef90

United Kingdom 2014 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 HT Corris Grey
can i have a moan
guys i work as a caretaker at a primary school .we have a outside contract for the cleaners who i have to supervise i am not very happy i order there equipment cover there absence. The thing is at Christmas the cleaners got chocolates and wine i got nothing . yesterday i was one cleaner short meaning i got home a hour late with out pay they say i do not work for them . Now is it me or is that off . I work long hours for school i do not mind as i get the time back at some point .I feel like they are taking advantage . what do you think Rolling Eyes
Post #751696 16th Jan 2019 3:13pm
grafty99

United Kingdom 2002 Defender 90 Td5 HT Caledonian Blue
It's a difficult situation, the easiest (but not necessarily best) solution is to stop covering for them.

Things won't get done but when the finger gets pointed surely it can't be at you as it isn't your job? Obviously this won't put you in favour with your employers.

The second way to go about it is to explain the situation to your employer and ask for a better contractor or payment for your extra time. Talking about it to your employer might be more difficult but its most definitely the best way forward.

As long as whichever approach you take is calm and considered things should end up improving one way or another Thumbs Up 2002 90 Td5 Station Wagon
1990 Vogue SE
Triumph Tiger Explorer 1200
Td5 90 Thread http://www.defender2.net/forum/topic50767.html
Tdi 110 Thread https://www.defender2.net/forum/topic69562.html
RRC Thread http://www.defender2.net/forum/topic54492.html
Instagram http://www.instagram.com/george_grafton
Post #751701 16th Jan 2019 3:42pm
jrule

United Kingdom 2000 Defender 90 Td5 CSW Oslo Blue
If it was me I would keep a log of the times that they fail to provide staff or let you down and the additional time spent as a result. You can then present to the school business manager etc and make a case for having a meeting to resolve with their boss, get them replaced or your employer compensating you. They should then soon sit up and take note!
Post #751710 16th Jan 2019 4:42pm
Caterham

England 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Stornoway Grey
this is where schools and public sector (in my opinion) are a bit useless.

if the cleaners are contracted to do a job they should be doing.

I'm trying help a school with their maintenance contracts and from the little I've seen already they could be massively improved and probably save a good wedge of money in the process.

I've almost exclusively only worked in the private sector and lets just say you need to earn your keep. If the contractors aren't doing what they're employed to do they're basically OUT.

I'd be asking what they're paid to do and if they're not doing it (and you end up doing it) why is public money being wasted?

not sure if they helps you but it's got it off my chest after reading your post Rolling with laughter
Post #751720 16th Jan 2019 5:20pm
leeds

United Kingdom 
Quote:

can i have a moan

Yes you have permission to moan!

Will anybody listen or take note, that is another question.

On a more serious note, schools do seem to work on the goodwill of their staff.

Have a few words with the head teacher/school business manager and explain to them that you are unhappy with the way the cleaning contract is being carried out. Tell them you are going to keep a log of what cleaners turned up, time arrived/left. What rooms were cleaned and to what standard, what rooms left uncleaned. Take time and dated photographs.

Good luck. Thumbs Up

Brendan
Post #751726 16th Jan 2019 5:45pm
leeds

United Kingdom 
Quote:

can i have a moan

Yes you have permission to moan!

Will anybody listen or take note, that is another question.

On a more serious note, schools do seem to work on the goodwill of their staff.

Have a few words with the head teacher/school business manager and explain to them that you are unhappy with the way the cleaning contract is being carried out. Tell them you are going to keep a log of what cleaners turned up, time arrived/left. What rooms were cleaned and to what standard, what rooms left uncleaned. Take time and dated photographs.

Good luck. Thumbs Up

Brendan
Post #751727 16th Jan 2019 5:46pm
Bluest

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Java Black
Who manages the contract for the cleaning company? Who signs off their invoices? The company will have performance requirement and contingency for when someone goes sick That’s the person that needs to know they aren’t doing their job. Find out who it is and write to them, but let your boss know before you do. 2007 110 TDCi Station Wagon XS
Post #751733 16th Jan 2019 6:14pm
Rashers

United Kingdom 2014 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Corris Grey
I don't think it is specifically Schools who use and abuse the goodwill of their employees, although lets face it, they do.

Your predicament is easy to remedy, but difficult to implement.

You either refuse to do the extra and work to rule. Either this will reduce your stress or relieve you of your job.

Stick with what is going on at present and just suck it up.

Or the other option is to threaten to quit! It may wake someones ideas up but you have to committed enough to see it through if they accept you resignation.

I have worked in plenty of School's over the years where their School Caretaker does as little as possible and are a P.I.T.A. I have to add, there have also been some really nice Caretakers who go over and above to look after their School.

I feel for you as you seem to be a nice guy who cares but is being used and abused by people who should know better.

Best wishes to you.
Post #751734 16th Jan 2019 6:22pm
leeds

United Kingdom 
Andy, just be grateful that you did not have the cleaning up job at the school HERE

Some people and their 'littering' are unbelievable.

Brendan
Post #751740 16th Jan 2019 6:51pm
Caterham

England 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Stornoway Grey
I must add my issue is not with the staff on the ground so to speak. As mentioned above I was with a caretaker recently too and he was a sound chap going over and above....which I find is all too familiar these days. There's no easy answer to it, on one hand you've got them bin men in Birmingham who I believe are on strike again and over like yourself being taken advantage of.

Generally you (everyone) get paid per hour or to get the job done. Unfortunately there are problems with both types of remuneration.

In your case I'd say it's a relatively simple issue - one person is skiving and you're having to do extra.
(I'm not suggesting it's easy for you to resolve but the issue is a simple one and should be easy for the management level to resolve.

good luck with sorting it.
Post #751742 16th Jan 2019 6:58pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1