↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > General & Technical (L663) > NEXT LAND ROVER DEFENDER
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 33 of 35 <123 ... 32 333435>
Print this entire topic · 
diduan

Bulgaria 
I am wondering if the new defender will be more attractive to thieves than the old one. It may at least take the focus out of the current defender. Defender 110 SW MY2011 2.4tdci decat, no EGR
Jeep Wrangler YJ 1990 4.0. Front 78' Dana 60, Rear CUCV 14 bolt
Post #750312 10th Jan 2019 1:31pm
excossack

United Kingdom 1999 Defender 110 Td5 SW Caledonian Blue
Only if they use the same insecurity as all the Evoques and RRS that go missing via Keyless entry/Theft. 1999 Defender TD5 110

Regards
John M0VAZ
Econet Station 48 no clock
Post #750332 10th Jan 2019 2:51pm
Setok

Finland 
Farmerben wrote:
Setok wrote:
Looks a lot like a previous generation Disco. Now, I liked those, but they weren’t Defenders. Will be interesting to see what is finally revealed. Still, the Bollinger B1 has me currently more interested.

I think it's on the Alloy and Grit site but they looked closer at the images and showed that a lot of that camo is deliberate to make it look like a Disco and the bonnet, roof line and side panels will be more Defender-esque.

The new Defender will be whatever JLR need to put out to take on everything from an entry level L200 to a V6 X Class. It has to be. That Bollinger is a niche product and would be surprised if it ever gains any real traction in the market. The new Defender HAS to be more comfortable, economical, easier and cheaper to build.... They need to shift the units.
Let's face it, we love our Defenders DESPITE their shortcomings, not because of them - that's why you know you'll get a wave back because the driver of the other Defender is driving it because he loves it rather than because it was a sensible purchase.

I'll never sell mine but probably will buy a new one.

I’m not against evolution, better comfort etc. However, the reason the Defender was so iconic and respected was the honesty about it, and it’s capability. Considering how JLR is now facing problems with the premium market withering, one has to wonder if a basic, down to earth and affordable product might not have been exactly the thing to balance the basket.

Besides, the whole market is going electric. There are still lots of opportunities there. Could’ve been great to have seen JLR doing something unique there.
Post #750402 10th Jan 2019 7:59pm
Supacat

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS DCPU Keswick Green
LandRoverAnorak wrote:
My mistake. I thought I'd read that in one of the more credible recent articles but I can't find it now amongst all of the chaff. What I have found though, is another piece that suggests it'll be on a budget version of D7, which is the current Range Rover platform. Regardless though, it won't have solid axles and will come from the existing parts bin, which was the point I was responding to.

I've read it will be on the new MLA platform ~ 1st of many models to migrate to this. Means the vehicle can be ICE, hybrid, plug in or full EV.

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Last edited by Supacat on 11th Jan 2019 10:13am. Edited 2 times in total
Post #750462 10th Jan 2019 10:30pm
Ramajama

United States 
mikelike wrote:
The world wants integrity not expensive electronic unreliable pretenders !! Big Cry

If thats what the world wants then they better speak up with their pocket books, because right now, the world keeps buying up unreliable pretenders.....from all manufacturers. The world youre speaking of existed a long time ago. Rolling with laughter 2018 RAM Power Wagon (American Muscle)
2003 Land Rover Discovery II HSE 7 (Still deciding on its role)
2004 Land Rover Discovery II SE (British Steel...& aluminum)
2015 Land Rover Discovery Sport HSE Lux (Soccer Mom car)
Post #750477 11th Jan 2019 1:43am
Ramajama

United States 
Setok wrote:
Farmerben wrote:
Setok wrote:
Looks a lot like a previous generation Disco. Now, I liked those, but they weren’t Defenders. Will be interesting to see what is finally revealed. Still, the Bollinger B1 has me currently more interested.

I think it's on the Alloy and Grit site but they looked closer at the images and showed that a lot of that camo is deliberate to make it look like a Disco and the bonnet, roof line and side panels will be more Defender-esque.

The new Defender will be whatever JLR need to put out to take on everything from an entry level L200 to a V6 X Class. It has to be. That Bollinger is a niche product and would be surprised if it ever gains any real traction in the market. The new Defender HAS to be more comfortable, economical, easier and cheaper to build.... They need to shift the units.
Let's face it, we love our Defenders DESPITE their shortcomings, not because of them - that's why you know you'll get a wave back because the driver of the other Defender is driving it because he loves it rather than because it was a sensible purchase.

I'll never sell mine but probably will buy a new one.

I’m not against evolution, better comfort etc. However, the reason the Defender was so iconic and respected was the honesty about it, and it’s capability. Considering how JLR is now facing problems with the premium market withering, one has to wonder if a basic, down to earth and affordable product might not have been exactly the thing to balance the basket.

Besides, the whole market is going electric. There are still lots of opportunities there. Could’ve been great to have seen JLR doing something unique there.

The market is going electric....until it doesn’t anymore. 2018 RAM Power Wagon (American Muscle)
2003 Land Rover Discovery II HSE 7 (Still deciding on its role)
2004 Land Rover Discovery II SE (British Steel...& aluminum)
2015 Land Rover Discovery Sport HSE Lux (Soccer Mom car)
Post #750478 11th Jan 2019 1:45am
integrale

New Zealand 
Post #750479 11th Jan 2019 5:13am
o4dn

France 2009 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 SW Alaska White
Ramajama wrote:
mikelike wrote:
The world wants integrity not expensive electronic unreliable pretenders !! Big Cry

If thats what the world wants then they better speak up with their pocket books, because right now, the world keeps buying up unreliable pretenders.....from all manufacturers. The world youre speaking of existed a long time ago. Rolling with laughter

I'm afraid this needs some numbers to backup such a claim (car manufacturers are usually wary to publish their statistics about defects).

Yet, I reckon modern cars are a lot more reliable than the older ones, it's just that time tends to fade bad memories of unreliable cars from the past. Another point is that with time, people tend to learn about the common faults and either live with them or know how to diagnose and fix them easily. That doesn't mean older cars were more reliable.

Engineers to not put electronic in modern cars just for the sake of it, they could simply not produce a car that would meet the current emissions requirements without the precision of a computer driven injection system. They cannot do without an ECU.

Besides the software if the ECU can compensate for mechanical wear automatically and even allow for the engine to run even when some sensors are sending wrong data, by correlating data from other sensors. “A Land Rover immobilized is a moral defeat for the driver and bad publicity for the vehicle, […] it's up to you to do justice to your Land Rover!” - Land Rover Driving Technique.
--
2009 2.4 Puma Defender 90 SW
1979 Land Rover Series 3 88"
Post #750488 11th Jan 2019 8:21am
Supacat

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS DCPU Keswick Green
o4dn wrote:
Engineers to not put electronic in modern cars just for the sake of it

I'd beg to differ...

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge
Post #750506 11th Jan 2019 10:19am
discomog

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Santorini Black
I tend to agree with Supacat about electronics being used just for the sake of it. Back in the early 1970's, working as a research and development engineer on car and motor cycle engines we had a small team of electronics engineers. There wasn't a month went by without them coming up with some idea as to how to apply their electronics to what were then virtually 100% mechanically controlled engines. Some of their ideas are now mainstream but many were so air brained that they have been lost in the annals of time. Defender 90XS SW
Mini Countryman Cooper S
Morgan Plus 8
Post #750511 11th Jan 2019 11:00am
scotsstag

Scotland 2004 Defender 90 Td5 CSW Rutland Red
Haven't read the whole thread so don't know if this picture has already been posted...

Click image to enlarge
 04' 90 Td5 CSW..
Post #750853 12th Jan 2019 11:38pm
LandRoverAnorak

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Orkney Grey
More Autocar fiction that bears little resemblance to the test vehicles now in circulation, I'm afraid. Darren

110 USW BUILD THREAD - EXPEDITION TRAILER - 200tdi 90 BUILD THREAD - SANKEY TRAILER - IG@landroveranorak

"You came in that thing? You're braver than I thought!" - Princess Leia
Post #750868 13th Jan 2019 7:47am
diduan

Bulgaria 
⬆This looks like Skoda Yeti😉 Defender 110 SW MY2011 2.4tdci decat, no EGR
Jeep Wrangler YJ 1990 4.0. Front 78' Dana 60, Rear CUCV 14 bolt
Post #750888 13th Jan 2019 9:41am
Setok

Finland 
Ramajama wrote:

The market is going electric....until it doesn’t anymore.

I'd be willing to make a 'bet the company' type of bet that there is no going back on electric. The momentum is too great. The only interesting alternative is biodiesel.
Post #750952 13th Jan 2019 2:26pm
Dobby

o4dn wrote:

I was at my dealers last week and they confirmed there will be a fully electric BEV version after launch. He know's I'm going BEV so it keen to keep me on marque as it where, lest I run off the Tesla X or Jaaaaag ipace.

As soon as the goverment announces the end of life for Diesel engines we can expect the @rse to drop out of the resale value of DERVs.

Remember the Model T Ford essentially killed the 'Horse' market in less than ten years.. after centuries of horse ownership.
Post #750975 13th Jan 2019 4:48pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 33 of 35 <123 ... 32 333435>