↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Land Rover Customer Relations > Warranty Repair Woes
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 3 of 3 <123
Print this entire topic · 
mk1collector

England 2004 Defender 110 Td5 CSW Bonatti Grey
Independent assessments and court is all I can think of if they aren’t willing to listen. Ray
My build thread
http://www.defender2.net/forum/topic17615.html
Post #744099 4th Dec 2018 10:21pm
CRC@LandRover
Verified Account
Verified Account

United Kingdom 
Morepower wrote:
OK... So delaer are hassling me to drop the 90 back... They have serviced it and put a mot on it... However, I've lost a years worth of ownership and the warranty has now expired, The steering wheel is damaged, either through uv or its had some chemical reaction... Or possibly been cooked like every rubber seal was....
I'd like to speak to someone at LR about this, But their not interested...

Where to from here guys?

TIA Tim

Good Morning Morepower

Thank you for your post.

I am deeply sorry to learn of the experience you are having. In light of your comments, I would like to assure you that we are interested and wish to help in any way we can.

If you would like me to look into your concerns please kindly PM me the following information:

Your Vehicle Registration
Your Vehicle Identification Number (VIN)
Your personal contact details

If you have any further questions please do not hesitate to contact me

Thanks
Dan - Land Rover UK
Post #744155 5th Dec 2018 10:58am
Huttopia

United Kingdom 
I've found CRC to be very helpful, it just requires a degree of patience and persistence, which I appreciate might be in short supply. Stick with it.
Post #744167 5th Dec 2018 12:06pm
Morepower

New Zealand 
So this is where I'm at everyone.... The 90 is nearly ready to be delivered back (not quite 14 MONTHS) after it was dropped in last october... JLR after ALOT of hounding have agreed to replace the damaged steering wheel (whilst in the dealers care)... Pentland who've taken over this sorry mess have ,to be fair, done a pretty good job sorting all this out... HOWEVER, All I got from JLR was a free 2nd service... All I asked for was an extended warranty in light that I'd lost the use of a vehicle for a year (I only had a loan car for 4 days!!!) and that I had to buy another car to get to work whilst the 90 was away... To say that I'm very disappointed is an understatement... I mean, what's the cost of a warranty £600 ish?... Christ I've now not had my car for over a year...
Anyway, I've decided to take legal action. So any helpful suggestion or if any of you are lawyers please get in touch...

Regards

TIm It doesn't matter how bad it is, It can always get worse...

2013 Bowler 110 (Sold)
2016 Bowler 90 Rally Spec (Sold)
Post #746160 17th Dec 2018 5:35pm
Huttopia

United Kingdom 
Have you got a file with notes of every call, email, letter in it, in addition to endless patience and some appetite for swallowing legal fees? If the answer to that lot is yes then have a crack at it. Everyone is different but I personally wouldn’t bother. Time is the scare resource and I’d look to enjoy doing fun stuff in the Defender or frankly anything that doesn’t involve getting wound up by ‘he said / she said’ arguments that are predictably draining.

Whatever you decide, best of luck Thumbs Up
Post #746172 17th Dec 2018 6:16pm
Morepower

New Zealand 
Thanks Hutopia, I think a call to citizens advice is at least worth investigating.... Although any other suggestions are most welcome...

Regards

Tim It doesn't matter how bad it is, It can always get worse...

2013 Bowler 110 (Sold)
Post #746244 18th Dec 2018 5:28am
Balvaig

Scotland 2016 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 Landmark LE Corris Grey
Beware of spending money on lawyers unnecessarily. Legal costs can negate any benefit from a claim.
Check if you have legal cover with your car insurance, and if you have seek their advice.

Small claims in Scotland can be used up to £5000 but whilst you can do it yourself you do need to get advice to ensure the claim is set out correctly and served on the correct persons/bodies. Citizens advice or Trading Standards may give you a hand.

Also if you are intending using the small claims procedure it is always worth putting the persons/ bodies that you intend to claim against on notice of your actions. You do this by sending a recorded delivery letter to them, setting out that you intend to invoke the small claims procedure, in say 21 days, unless a settlement is reached, and give them an idea of what it is you expect in terms of a claim.

In any event, glad that Pentland Perth have been of help. They have done good work for me.
Post #746276 18th Dec 2018 10:36am
doublea

Scotland 2016 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 Adventure Phoenix Orange
Reading this through again, it occurs to me that it is always worthwhile taking a courtesy car, even if you don't actually want it. This puts more pressure on the dealer to get you vehicle back to you. When my 110UW was in for a respray as part of the warranty work back in May, I didn't bother with a courtesy car. It ended up being at the garage for about six weeks.

If you do use the courtesy vehicle, it saves putting miles on your own vehicle, will likely use less fuel that a defender and if anything untoward happens, such as an accident, then it's not your vehicle that gets damaged. Of course, there is still no guarantee that yours won't be damaged whilst in the care of the garage! Current Steeds:
2015 110 UW in Grasmere Green
2003 BMW F650 the Hack
2000 Elise
1992 Ducati 888 (no longer in bits, yahoo)
1990 TDR 250 (in bits again)
1988 TDR 250 (no longer in bits) and for sale
Post #746647 20th Dec 2018 7:10pm
Morepower

New Zealand 
Well I thought I'd best put some final conclusion to this tale of woe.... Well where to start... The 90 is back... the roof and windscreen frame have been repaired correctly... Although it came back with rusty bumper bolts and paint falling off the grill (usual Defender Quality issues).... Dealer won't answer emails regards fixing these issues...
LR won't extend the warranty (even though they took over a year to supply the panels to repair the truck)... They did replace the steering wheel (ruined by being cooked in the paint oven I suspect)... and they did do a 2nd service..(wow) especially since they were the only ones to drive it...
So... here's some advice... ALWAYS demand a car whilst yours is in... DO not give it back until your vehicle is finished and your happy with the finish... Even if the dealer asks for it back... Tough.... Don't expect any help from LR.... Their a premium brand product don't you know...
I WAS going to buy a new Defender... But the whole LR farce will mean I will never buy another LR product and I will advise people to do likewise...

LR wonder why their suffering a loss in brand loyalty... It's not hard to see why!!!..

Regards

Tim It doesn't matter how bad it is, It can always get worse...

2013 Bowler 110 (Sold)
Post #765105 24th Mar 2019 7:53am
Fat Cog

United Kingdom 2016 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 HT Corris Grey
I've watched this thread with great interest and sound advice from Tim...thankyou.

From my experience Tim's woes are sadly just the norm with JLR dealers, why I've stuck to their products god only knows and for most low level warranty jobs I usually either fix it myself or take it to my trusted indy, when I have took it into JLR it has ALWAYS turned into a fiasco.

Sadly, it needn't be like this; my daughter had a Suzuki Jimmy from new, treated it like absolute Censored and in 5 years Censored all went wrong with it, my wife has a Nissan Juke, treats it like Censored (full chat on cold engine, gearbox etc) & guess what, Censored all gone wrong.

I ran a 2016 Jeep Wrangler in tandem to my Defender for a couple of years and as expected due to the complexity of 4x4's it had a few minor warranty issues, however, my local Jeep dealer Unity Oxford were absolutely top notch, I was always supplied with a car and unlike JLR nothing turned into a fiasco, additionally the routine services were about a 3rd of the price JLR main dealers quote.

What a dreadful state of play for a flagship British company... Since 1973...S1, Air Portable's, Defender's, but only my Wolf TUL HS GS remains
Post #765125 24th Mar 2019 9:41am
andydef90

United Kingdom 2014 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 HT Corris Grey
I could not agree with fat cog anymore after a fiasco I had last year with land rover at Doncaster and ten calls to land rover assist it put me off my defender for a good while
Post #765317 25th Mar 2019 1:34pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 3 of 3 <123