↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Camping, Caravanning and Holidays > Roof Top Tent Article
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Grenadier

France 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Corris Grey
Roof Top Tent Article
Interesting article offering a selection of rooftop tents from across the pond. Whilst the IKamper is making a name for itself over here, I think many of the others are unknown to us in the UK/EU. Many seem to have a good rep and build quality but for a lot less than an equivalent Maggiolina or James Baroud. I particularly like the Tepui Baja with all that ventilation. And not bad at under £1000 for the 2/3 person version.

https://www.digitaltrends.com/outdoors/best-rooftop-tents/ Monsieur Le Grenadier

I've not been everywhere, but it's on my list.....

2011 Puma 110DC - Corris Grey
Post #745770 15th Dec 2018 7:48am
dantastic

United Kingdom 
Would love to see some competition in the overland segment over here. We are being fleeced.
Post #746385 19th Dec 2018 9:00am
Grenadier

Agreed. Of the hard case tents, the iKamper is my favourite, but effing hell it's a bob or two.

Further research led me to this which I will certainly be getting for next summer as I was always a fan of hammocks in the forces. I've done some measuring and I think the wide end roughly matches the distance from the A-pillar to the back of my DC's tub (96"). As I'll be getting a roll cage fitted, I think you could attach the tent's two corner D-rings direct onto the RC with carabiners, thereby only ever requiring one tree. Thumbs Up

Monsieur Le Grenadier

Post #746386 19th Dec 2018 9:11am
dantastic

United Kingdom 
They are cool those tents but what I love more than anything else about my James Baroud is that I can fully set it up ready to sleep in in under one minute. Complete pack up in under 2 minutes. Store all bedding in the tent.

Modern hard shell roof tents are just as comfortable as your bed at home. It makes camping a true joy.

I would like to see more vendors on the market though. Poor competition leads to poor customer experience.
Post #746391 19th Dec 2018 9:59am
Grenadier

But in your Baroud can you pretend you're flying an X-Wing figher. Ahem Whistle Monsieur Le Grenadier

Post #746393 19th Dec 2018 10:18am
dantastic

United Kingdom 
Quote:
But in your Baroud can you pretend you're flying an X-Wing figher. Ahem Whistle

If I want brown pants I just drive my Defender faster! 😂
Post #746414 19th Dec 2018 1:09pm
Supacat

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS DCPU Keswick Green
Interesting counterpoint to rooftop tents:

We Designed the Best Rooftop Tent Ever. Sort Of.

https://www.outsideonline.com/2071176/we-d...-ever-sort
Post #818562 6th Mar 2020 9:30pm
JOW240725

United Kingdom 2012 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Orkney Grey
The IKamper does fit Defenders very well, but agreed it is a lot of money new.

Click image to enlarge
 James
MY2012 110 2.2TDCi XS SW Orkney Grey - http://www.defender2.net/forum/topic43410.html
MY1990 110 200TDi SW beautifully faded Portofino Red - https://www.defender2.net/forum/post743641.html#743641
MY1984 90 V8 Slate Grey - https://www.defender2.net/forum/post744557.html#744557
Instagram @suffolk_rovers
Post #818587 7th Mar 2020 7:01am
Tribord

France 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS DCPU Zermatt Silver
Grenadier wrote:
Agreed. Of the hard case tents, the iKamper is my favourite, but effing hell it's a bob or two.

Further research led me to this which I will certainly be getting for next summer as I was always a fan of hammocks in the forces. I've done some measuring and I think the wide end roughly matches the distance from the A-pillar to the back of my DC's tub (96"). As I'll be getting a roll cage fitted, I think you could attach the tent's two corner D-rings direct onto the RC with carabiners, thereby only ever requiring one tree. Thumbs Up

I bought one of the early Tentsiles, because I am also a fan of hammocks (and used one in a Series 3) and was completely taken in by the amazing photography on the their website! I had visions off taking it with me in the canoe or river sailing cruising and sleeping across a rocky cove or treeline bank. However, unless you happen to be in the middle of a forest, I have struggled to find places with 3 trees in the right place. There happens to be a good spot in my garden, so it normally stays attached there during the summer months for general lounging. It is also much bulkier and heavier than a hammock - certainly too big to drop into your rucksack.

Be very careful when using the Defender as an anchor point. I also thought to this, but there is a lot of tension when tightening with the big ratchets. There are stories of roof-racks being ripped off! Although a roll bar will obviously be much stronger.

If you bought one, I will be interested in hearing how you got one with it.
Post #818600 7th Mar 2020 8:47am
Badger110

United Kingdom 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Buckingham Blue
Grenadier wrote:

Does look abit gimmicky that...novel idea but not really practical in the real world imho.
Post #818723 7th Mar 2020 11:05pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1