↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Tdi > Engine - single 'cough' or chug...
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
donmacn

Engine - single 'cough' or chug...
Just what I like, a new thing to feed my LR paranoia....

Drivng about today I've had two episodes where the car has given what i'd describe as a single cough or 'chug'.

Back story - yesterday I replaced the engine auxiliaries mounting bracket and all the associated bits and pieces (PAS pump; water pump; alternator etc). Refilled coolant. Test run last night - all good. Full tank of fuel this morning, with the usual shot of Millers ecomax.

So, short run into town today (15 mins) all good; 60 minute A road run this morning, all good. On the way home, after about 45/50 mins I got one 'chug' or cough. To be honest I wasn't even sure it had happened. Comimg down a hill, foot virtually of the accelerator, hit a rough bit of road and got the 'chug'. Quite momentary, car pulled fine immediately afterwards, so I thought it must have been my imagination. Doing about 60mph at the time.

Into town, driving home - suburban road, 35-40mph, one 'chug' or cough. Just as if the engine had momentarily stopped, and then got going again. Pulled fine immediately afterwards, but because I knew this one wasn't my imagination, I'm now left wondering what's going on.

Anything obvious that I should check? I say obvious, but that's obvious to wiser, more experienced folk, not necessarily obvious to me!

I did try searching on this, but got nowhere. Happy to the pointed to the 'definitive' thread on the topic if one exists.

Ta.

Donald Donald

1994 Defender 300Tdi 110 SW - owned since 2002 - 230k miles and going strong
(The 'rolling restoration' or tinkering thread: http://www.defender2.net/forum/topic58538.html )
2000 Range Rover P38 4.0L V8

in the past..
RR classic - fitted with 200Tdi
1984 RR classic - V8 with ZF auto box
1993 Discovery 300Tdi

not to mention the minis and the Type 2 VW camper...
Post #746148 17th Dec 2018 4:43pm
htb2

Scotland 
Loose connection on stop solenoid on injector pump ?
Post #746184 17th Dec 2018 7:26pm
donmacn

Thanks for that.

Strange but true, in all the years I've had this car, I've never had to do anything with the solenoid, but that was one of my own thoughts.

I thougt it would be fuelling related - either issues with the supply (unlikely as it's a new tank and lines) but maybe the lift pump; or that it might be an electrical thing.

Need to do some studying. Donald

(The 'rolling restoration' or tinkering thread: http://www.defender2.net/forum/topic58538.html )

in the past..
1993 Discovery 300Tdi

Post #746198 17th Dec 2018 8:25pm
htb2

Scotland 
had it cut out completely a couple of times. I always carry a jury wire so I can always start engine,only 2 wires to start,one to stop solenoid and other for starter motor.can be used for either
Post #746201 17th Dec 2018 8:36pm
yostumpy

Just start it up, open the bonnet, and very slowly and carefully start to move the wire to the stop solonoid, and see if it coughs . On mine the wire had internal break prob 6" from the connector.
Post #746258 18th Dec 2018 7:18am
donmacn

Guys, thanks a lot. That's exactly what it was. I started doing as suggested above - engine running, carefully moving the wire, and the connector almost literally fell off the solemoid - hanging on by a thread, or even less. How that hasn't caused problems until now is a puzzle.

On the plus side (again!) my car has behaved impeccably and developed an issue at a time and place it's been easy to fix.

It's one of my worries - being stranded with a car full of stuff, in the dark and cold miles from anywhere - even worse, miles from the internet and the 'Defender2 helpdesk'!

Thanks again. Donald

in the past..
1993 Discovery 300Tdi

Post #746321 18th Dec 2018 5:32pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1