↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Technical > BBUS siren life expectancy? Check yours is still alive.
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 3 123>
Print this entire topic · 
lohr500

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Santorini Black
BBUS siren life expectancy? Check yours is still alive.
I noticed today that the BBUS sounder wasn't sounding when I triggered an alarm Smile

After removing it (it didn't go off when unplugging it) and checking the wiring for pin voltages, I've concluded that it has failed.
The horns still sound so I'm guessing the 10AS unit is working correctly and that the internal BBUS battery has died.

There is what looks to be a date code on it of 28/03/2012 so the unit is approaching seven years old.

Is it a fair bet that the battery is dead after 7 years?

To anyone reading this, it might be worth checking your BBUS to make sure it is still working.
Post #744984 10th Dec 2018 4:08pm
Ramsay

Scotland 1995 Defender 110 300 Tdi CSW Auto Keswick Green
Quite a good bet that battery has expired.
However does anybody know or can you take it apart to confirm the battery inside and from there we can determine what it’s operating life should be. 1995 Defender 110 CSW
1971 SIIA Lightweight
Post #744985 10th Dec 2018 4:13pm
lohr500

I've seen a couple of posts saying that the unit is fully resin sealed and that it's not possible to get to the battery without destroying the unit Sad
My 1st thought was to fit a new battery, as a replacement unit is around £130.

But I have managed to remove the back and hack away at the enough of the sealant to get to the battery. It is more like a silicone mastic than traditional resin potting compound.

Looks like the battery is made up of 7 cells, with 4 in one pack and 3 in the other.

Voltage across the 3 cell pack is 3.90 and across the 4 cell pack 5.24. So 9.15 V in total.

According to the web, fully charged NIMh cells are 1.5V, so 7 would give 10.5V.
Nearly discharged NiMh are 1.2V so 8.4V.

I tried putting 12V across the battery packs but not even a chirp out of the siren.
So I am assuming something has gone wrong either with the internal electronics or sounder itself, or there is a problem with the 10AS unit. But surely it should have gone off when disconnected, regardless of the signal status from the 10AS controller?

I have gone ahead and ordered a replacement though Duckworth's as I have convinced myself that the old unit is scrap.
Sod's Law will no doubt prevail and the new unit won't work either.

Watch this space.
Post #744994 10th Dec 2018 5:17pm
discomog

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Santorini Black
It's a little bit ironic that we have the most nickable vehicle in the UK if not Europe and at the centre of our defence is the 10AS Big Cry .

I've just looked at Lohr500's photo and noticed the corroded 4 pin connector spades which prompted me to have a look at my spare 10AS which was brand new 3 years ago and never been fitted, only to find that the connector spades are also corroded. This was in a box in the garage with a silica gel bag so poses the question "What is the one like fitted to my Defender.

How often do any of us check if the 10AS is working. I've not checked mine in 3 years so I guess I'll be checking it this evening.

Good luck Lohr, I hope the new one solves the problem. Defender 90XS SW
Mini Countryman Cooper S
Morgan Plus 8
Post #744996 10th Dec 2018 5:35pm
blackwolf

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Stornoway Grey
I'll be interested to hear if Duckworth is able to supply a new one at the moment - a very recent post in another thread suggested that these are made out of Unobtainium and no-one can supply new ones at present.
Post #744999 10th Dec 2018 5:43pm
NDF

2004 Defender 90 Td5 XS CSW Java Black
Update on obtaining a new BBUS. Spoke to main dealer today, ETA of 13/12. Been on back order for two months and he did stress that it was an ETA from JLR not a confirmed date... I do wonder about sourcing electronics as we go forward. I suspect that many of the base components are well out of production. This is a big problem for the military, who keep their kit about as long as we keep LRs. They end up stripping everything out and installing new kit (that is going out of production just about the time it is going into service!)
Post #745023 10th Dec 2018 7:04pm
lohr500

I'll provide an update on ETA from Duckworth's as soon as I hear anything.

They said delivery to me on Thursday or Friday this week as they didn't have one in stock locally, but perhaps that was just the regular LT for a non urgent part.

Let's hope your ETA of 13/12 is correct NDF. Although if there is big backlog, perhaps there won't be enough available to supply the very latest customer orders Sad

Has yours died as well NDF and if so, out of interest, what production date does it have on it?
Post #745028 10th Dec 2018 7:27pm
NDF

. Strangely for a TD5 XS it looks like one was never fitted. I have fitted a whole host of other security measures but would like this as well. If I can't get one soon I will have to go down the route of an aftermarket alarm (plip upgrade type).
Post #745035 10th Dec 2018 7:40pm
lohr500

Bad news from Dan at Duckworth's today. He was away yesterday so someone else took my order.
Dan says they are obsolete at LR.
I mentioned your comments about a 13/12 delivery date NDF, so Dan said he would make further enquiries.
Dan also suggested I try FCX but they have no stock either.

I suppose I shouldn't be surprised knowing JLR, but it is pretty poor that parts are already becoming no longer available for a vehicle so recently out of production. Especially on the BBUS given the well known security vulnerability on vehicles without one.

I'll drop a note to LR Customer Relations. Meantime, hoping Dan comes back with good news.
Post #745215 11th Dec 2018 6:58pm
BenB8man

United Kingdom 2010 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Stornoway Grey
Somewhat relevant, I had a Volvo a few years back that had a very similar issue. Incredibly common for that platform as it turns out.

A fully sealed Battery Back Up Sounder that's battery would fail around the 6-10 year mark. The knackered battery would leak acid all over the internal PCB and if you didn't get it in time, would be completely unserviceable. For me, I managed to repair some of the tracks on the PCB and replace the battery with a identical 3.7v (I seem to recall) battery and get it working again.

Either way, it seems fairly common for similar equipment. No other device or equipment would promise a lifetime battery, so I would fully expect a BBUS to last about 5 years before it needed a new battery/replacement unit.

Now to work out how easy that would be without replacing the full BBUS regularly. In the Volvo's case, a gentle bit of hack-sawing did the trick perfectly. Resealing was just electrical tape, but I probably could have done that better Whistle
Post #745225 11th Dec 2018 7:28pm
NDF

My local main dealer maintains that JLR have not declared this obselete and that it is on back order. As they have declared it a priority order it appears that they get a regular update from JLR. There was some muttering of a commercial dispute (I presume with the makers). Not holding out hope for 13/12, but will update when I have news.

Look on the brighside, we could have a whole new thread on what aftermarket alarm...
Post #745230 11th Dec 2018 7:48pm
NDF

Call from main dealer to say that my bbus was delivered today. I won't believe it until I have it in my hand, but it looks like they are available once more.
Post #745545 13th Dec 2018 5:17pm
lohr500

Did it arrive NDF?

In the end I was able to buy a NOS unit (dated 2016, but unused) from a fellow forum member.

I fitted it earlier this week and normal services have been resumed Very Happy
Post #746924 22nd Dec 2018 6:23pm
NDF

Much to my surprise, it arrived! Different part number on it to that i expected, but all seems to work as advertised.

3 months from order to delivery.
Post #746930 22nd Dec 2018 7:29pm
blackwolf

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Stornoway Grey
What was the part number?
Post #746934 22nd Dec 2018 8:07pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 3 123>