↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Expedition & Overland > 130 camper/expedition.... preparation advice wanted
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 2 <12
Print this entire topic · 
JOW240725

United Kingdom 2012 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Orkney Grey
lozza wrote:
swapping my alloys for some steel wheels

Whilst I understand steel rims are more easily repairable on trips, I was under the impression Blindo's were one of the strongest alloys available? I know a lot of people fit them for overlanding. James
MY2012 110 2.2TDCi XS SW Orkney Grey - http://www.defender2.net/forum/topic43410.html
MY1990 110 200TDi SW beautifully faded Portofino Red - https://www.defender2.net/forum/post743641.html#743641
MY1984 90 V8 Slate Grey - https://www.defender2.net/forum/post744557.html#744557
Instagram @suffolk_rovers
Post #745473 13th Dec 2018 10:49am
lozza

thanks for the advice wife says kettle sounds great,on the wheel front i was thinking i could sell the 4 blindos for the price of 5 good steel's before they got scratched up,definitely going to get a cage i know SD has a great name but i saw a shire fabrications cage where the front mounts go all the way down the outside to mount on the rock/tree slider...whats your thoughts on that?

bottle jack....check

secure canopy...have you got any ideas on that front?

thanks

loz
Post #745506 13th Dec 2018 1:58pm
lozza

JOW240725 wrote:
lozza wrote:
swapping my alloys for some steel wheels

Whilst I understand steel rims are more easily repairable on trips, I was under the impression Blindo's were one of the strongest alloys available? I know a lot of people fit them for overlanding.

hi,maybe just get a spare blindo then

thanks

loz
Post #745508 13th Dec 2018 1:59pm
JOE_130

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 130 Puma 2.2 HCPU Java Black
I've not actually looked at a shire cage before... to google!!....

Yeh they certainly look fit for purpose. One of my main annoyances with my rock sliders is how relatively flimsy the front mount is. Where it mounts to the chassis it just goes over a stud (the other end of which holds the body on) but because it's just a single stud you're dependent on the mounts at the back to stop it rotating. If the shire cage works with their own sliders as one strong piece I'd be tempted.

A full welded cage will certainly be stronger and flex less when hit than a bolt together assembly like the SD. I guess it comes down to price and personal choice?

I came perilously close to buying one of these: https://www.expedition-equipment.com/produ...anopy-top/

Andrew St Pierre White did a good review/video about them here and makes some valid points about buying a canopy in general: &t=5s

They look like pretty nice pieces of kit, but I couldn't justify the cost at the time as I was buying a house.... silly thing to do. Their demonstration of parking a car on one seems like a bit of a cheat to me... any metal section is strong in compression, especially if it's got a huge welded steel frame under it holding the bottom corners in unlike the 130 tub which is made of cheese, but all the effort they've made with hinges seals and locks look really nicely done.

Only other options I know of are the Tembo 4x4 (the pretty OEM looking one a couple of D2 members have), a CamelBac (I think Trek Overland used to be a dealer) or I've just seen Far Corners have started making some to order. I think I'll probably end up making my own at some point as all the extrusions and flat panel materials are available it's just the doors that are tricky.

I can advise on the kettle and microwave front but the packaging of the batteries and inverter is a big job lol

Click image to enlarge
Post #745513 13th Dec 2018 2:41pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 2 <12