↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Expedition & Overland > Morocco Easter 2019 - tips and advice please
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Cheshire110

United Kingdom 
Morocco Easter 2019 - tips and advice please
Finally bit the bullet and have booked ferries for a trip to Morocco over Easter.

Plan is for 3-4 days through Spain bookending 6-7 days in Morocco (and ferries Portsmouth-Santander either end).

Would welcome any tips from anyone! Either on routes/places to see and/or driving a Land Rover long distance and in Morocco. Plan is to get as far as Merzouga and the dunes but other than that haven’t got many contranints.

Will be mostly sleeping in the vehicle and/or camping, with maybe a night or two in hotels as required. Welcome any recommendations!

What spares would you take? My instinct is to keep it simple with kit but don’t want to get stuck.

Has anyone managed to get any kind of breakdown cover in Morocco? If not I’ll just be relying on European cover. Cheers, David
Land Rovers of all shapes S3 onwards… Daily is a 110 V8.
Post #745083 10th Dec 2018 11:17pm
Bluest

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Java Black
Only been once, last year, and going back again at the end of next year, so I’m not what you’d call seasoned, but for what it’s worth, here are my thoughts

I don’t believe breakdown cover is available in Morocco, so if travelling as a single vehicle you’ll need to have plan. Not sure what that would be, but there are plenty of Overlanders out there, so maybe join some Facebook groups to see if you can exchange numbers, or contacts for friendly mechanics. On my trip a Disco 3 broke down in the middle of a dry lake. With a group, that’s just all part of the fun, but on your own it could be highly stressful.

As for what spares, I take just obvious stuff, UJs, belts, filters etc. and then generic sundries like tape, sealant, cable ties etc. I do have a new cam and crank sensor as they are small and can stop the car instantly as I have learnt. My own view, is that if you limp or get towed to a mechanic then you’ll be fine, even if you lose a couple of days and some Diram waiting for parts. For reference, a Disco 3 alternator failure can be fixed in 24hours in Merzouga. I know some people who take enough spares to build a whole new drive train, so it’s your call really. If you car is well prepared it’s impossible to guess what might break.

Routes wise, I’m not an expert at all, as I was guided, but I’d be looking at the ones in Chris Scott’s book, and possibly the Vibraction road book. I’ve driven the high altitude piste over the Atlas from Imilchil to Dades and it was just the most tremendous thing I have ever seen. That is detailed in Chris’ book I think. There are some stunning dry lakes and rocky desert between the Atlas and Merzouga too. I found all the tracks and trails getting to the dunes more fun than the dunes themselves.

I wouldn’t consider Dune driving on your own unless you know what you are doing, be very easy to put your car on its side or roof, and you fed up of getting bogged.

Finally, there is a new 2 part video on the Harry’s Garage Youtube channel of him riding his off road bikes around The Atlas, Merzouga and Marrakesh. Not a Defender in sight but will give you really good look at the excitement that awaits! 2007 110 TDCi Station Wagon XS
Post #745245 11th Dec 2018 9:40pm
Cheshire110

United Kingdom 
Hi bluest,

Thanks for the advice and sorry for the slow reply!

Yes I think it’s just going to have to be EU cover and trust that I could get basic repairs done or get towed or otherwise back to the ferry in a push.

Given that we’ll be travelling alone I’m certainly not planning on any serious/playful off-roading; will probably keep away from the dunes so as not to be too tempted!

Yes I have a few guide books on order from Amazon so will spend a bit of time this weekend reading and looking at some potential stops/places to visit.

Yes a big fan of Harry’s Garage! Part of the reason for the trip- I figure if he can do it in an old testarossa I can manage it in a 3 yr old defender! (Touch wood!) Enjoying the motorbike adventure so far, am about half way through.

Thanks for the tips! Cheers, David
Land Rovers of all shapes S3 onwards… Daily is a 110 V8.
Post #745424 12th Dec 2018 11:26pm
Bluest

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Java Black
I would definitely do some of the off road tracks over the Atlas and down to Merzouga alone. A lot of them are used regularly by the locals like normal roads, so you aren’t really that isolated. Apart from being very rough, they aren’t that technically challenging, but the scenery is amazing. 2007 110 TDCi Station Wagon XS
Post #745444 13th Dec 2018 7:23am
Ohlins

France 
I go every year albeit on my moto...but I cover the same tracks. I started this years route south of Nador.

If you have a wee peep here you'll see routes to download along with hints that a GPS can't give.....oh and you'll see the topography.

https://adventurebikerider.com/forum/viewt...mp;t=47479

There's a Tips section below and how to get through customs too.

https://adventurebikerider.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=45342

For a first time visitor the most problem you'l have will be the correct pricing of stuff, from buying a bracelet to the price of an hotel room. In my report you'll see the odd pricing hint.

A standard LR will take you anywhere. If following my routes then sand ladders could help.

When I go in my LR I just take a fuel filter, belts, water pump, lift pump and 2x wheel bearings along with the normal tools and oils to top up.

Prep your LR before you go and if you're unsure then replace any items. Maroc will find any weakness that you can be assured of.

There's lots of changes to find LR parts if something goes south.

I use wikiloc for routes direct to my GPS. Open Street Map will show piste and can route to same. Garmin Maps are useless for Maroc IMO.

I too might be going in Easter in my 110

If you've any other questions by all means just ask.

All the best

Very Happy

https://adventurebikerider.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=40730

. Army 110 3 Door 200tdi
Army 110 3 Door V8
Army Lightweight 2.25 Petrol
110 300tdi 5 door
Yamaha XT660Z Ténéré
Gas Gas 300EC Ohlins
Post #745776 15th Dec 2018 9:18am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1