↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Technical > Any GKN overdrive experts here?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Clive

United Kingdom 2004 Defender 90 Td5 X-Tech LE Zambezi Silver
Any GKN overdrive experts here?
Hi all, My 2004 Td5 90 X Tech has lately been intermittently showing symptoms of a slipping clutch when accelerating hard, it's been doing it for around a year or so now, it always seems worst on a cold wet day then gradually the slip diminishes and it drives normally.
It has an Alive stage 2 tune, uprated intercooler, EGR delete and straight through exhaust so it's quite nippy on full beans.

It's been getting worse recently, although when driven carefully it's still quite possible to drive without it slipping at all. Whenever I've had a car in the past with a slipping clutch, it's usually failed completely after a relatively short time.

I've had the 90 nearly 4 years now and added around 25'000 miles to it in that time, (now on 155K.) When I got it I was told the clutch had just been replaced. It came to me already fitted with a GKN overdrive which has always worked well, (apart from when the speed sensor failed, now replaced.)

Now to the point of my post, I've read that the GKN unit contains clutches of some kind and I'm wondering if it could be the overdrive that's slipping rather than the normal clutch? The degree of slip doesn't really change whether it's in normal drive or OD.
Post #743811 3rd Dec 2018 8:44pm
Romadog

Suggest speaking to Devon 4x4 as they have dealt a lot with these over drives.

Last one I had was the dogs wot sits especially when towing. Thumbs Up
Post #743812 3rd Dec 2018 8:49pm
rustandoil

England 2005 Defender 110 Td5 XS DCPU Bonatti Grey
My GKN overdrive plays up in a similar way.... Pulling away from junctions is a bit disconcerting at times
Post #743813 3rd Dec 2018 8:51pm
Romadog

Why are you pulling away with it engaged?
Post #743820 3rd Dec 2018 9:18pm
barbel jim

United Kingdom 2005 Defender 90 Td5 HT Tonga Green
I can't help with the overdrive, but would suggest you'll probably need a new clutch. I had a valeo replacement, that only lasted 18 months before the intermittent slip started. Replaced the clutch and sorted. They can become soft, especially on your useage and driving style.
My other TD5 has the start of same intermittent slip..... believe it's the original (12years old and 86k) which started after the remap and upgraded turbo Laughing It dosnt do It everyday but has moments...... it will be being replaced at some point Rolling Eyes
Post #743824 3rd Dec 2018 9:24pm
Clive

Romadog wrote:

The slip is not on pulling away in the lower gears, I only engage it above 30 or more, the OD controller wouldn't allow it anyway, it's normally when doing maybe 40 or 50 in 4th or 5th, then giving it the beans to overtake for example, then it slips a similar amount whether the OD is engaged or not, ease off the loud pedal a bit and it stops slipping, just like you'd expect from a worn clutch. The puzzle is why it's not failed completely after all this time which prompted the question about the OD.
Post #743829 3rd Dec 2018 9:47pm
Mo Murphy

United Kingdom 1984 Defender 90 200 Tdi HT Pennine Grey
The drive goes through the overdrive even when it is not engaged, slippage can occur even out of overdrive.
Mo The Land Rover 90 - Many are called, few are chosen.
Post #743833 3rd Dec 2018 9:57pm
NickMc

Northern Ireland 2006 Defender 90 Td5 HT Bonatti Grey
barbel jim wrote:
I can't help with the overdrive, but would suggest you'll probably need a new clutch. I had a valeo replacement, that only lasted 18 months before the intermittent slip started. Replaced the clutch and sorted. They can become soft, especially on your useage and driving style.
My other TD5 has the start of same intermittent slip..... believe it's the original (12years old and 86k) which started after the remap and upgraded turbo Laughing It dosnt do It everyday but has moments...... it will be being replaced at some point Rolling Eyes

Had the same with some other brands and them, only fit Luk now.

Last edited by NickMc on 4th Dec 2018 12:46am. Edited 1 time in total
Post #743842 3rd Dec 2018 10:13pm
landy andy

2006 Defender 110 Td5 USW Zermatt Silver
I had the same symptoms you are describing, but I had no overdrive fitted. Mine was my fuel pressure regulator leaking, then running down back of engine and contaminating the clutch. Load of brake cleaner, new FPR, and all good.

Andy.
Post #743850 3rd Dec 2018 10:36pm
barbel jim

Clive wrote:
Romadog wrote:

The slip is not on pulling away in the lower gears, I only engage it above 30 or more, the OD controller wouldn't allow it anyway, it's normally when doing maybe 40 or 50 in 4th or 5th, then giving it the beans to overtake for example, then it slips a similar amount whether the OD is engaged or not, ease off the loud pedal a bit and it stops slipping, just like you'd expect from a worn clutch. The puzzle is why it's not failed completely after all this time which prompted the question about the OD.

Its when the torque starts to kick in. Opinion is the springs tire, and with the extra tourque it's just too much and breaks contact. The clutch I took out still looked new, and the dual mass flywheel was fine, so I just replaced the clutch and it's sorted.

The FPR is a popular culprit for leaking on the clutch, but an trusted independent with years of experience has never seen a diesel contaminated clutch. Id also be hesitant with spraying clutch cleaner over the clutch, as it could also damage the release bearing and dry it out.
Post #743878 3rd Dec 2018 11:45pm
Clive

Problem solved Thumbs Up
Spot on barbel jim you were correct, the problem was indeed the pressure plate springs lacking in clamping pressure and unable to cope with the extra torque.

I've just had a new Clutchfix heavy duty clutch kit fitted and it's completely solved the problem and there are no issues with the Overdrive which was a bit of a relief.

The dilemma for me was that although it displayed typical symptoms of a worn clutch, it was intermittent in nature, seemingly depending on the temperature and how wet it was, also the fact that it was only very slowly getting worse, it's been my experience previously that once a clutch starts to slip it's toasted in quite a short time. Strangely, the old friction plate didn't appear to be particularly badly worn at all considering how it's been slipping for the last year or so.

Anyway, I'm now a happy bunny, thanks to all for your helpful comments. Thumbs Up
Post #745121 11th Dec 2018 10:23am
barbel jim

Excellent Mr. Green

Mines not slipped since my last post Whistle Was only thinking about that an hour ago Laughing
Post #745232 11th Dec 2018 9:07pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1