↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Puma (Tdci) > Attempted theft? Advice please
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
snowric

United Kingdom 2009 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Galway Green
Attempted theft? Advice please
Hi all I have a defender 100 2.4 csw. Had it since new and love it still.

Last night I visited my wife in hospital, parked the car outside my home and went to bed. This morning car wouldn't start. Odd, no lights, no idiot lights nothing at all. Central locking didnt work either. I figured I had been stressed out and left the main lights on or something so tonight I replaced the battery and.......nothing.

To cut a long story short I used my AVO meter and could see that there was no power going into the main fuses in the box under the drivers seat and had plenty of volts at the battery.

So i called the AA out and the guy eventually found underneath my car that someone had cut the feed from the battery to the main fusebox. Very cleanly and they had even stripped the wires. Once he reconnected them, alarm etc all hell broke loose but good news everythig worked nicely.

AA man reckoned that the cut would stop the alarm sounding and then they could open the doors (with a strip of metal he said), put in neutral, park brake off, break steering lock and tow the car but he didnt understand why they didnt. I have an Ashcroft auto conversion on it.

Any views and also should I re-route this wire internally across the gearbox tunnel to ensure it cant get cut easily again?

Thanks for your thoughts. Imagine I am pretty lucky to still have my green beast and should be able to pick up the wife in the morning ! Snowy Snowy
Post #743042 29th Nov 2018 10:02pm
Caterham

England 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Stornoway Grey
What bummer - especially with the wife being in hospital and all.

on the up side as you say you still have it. shame the thieving scum bag wasn't able to roll the truck just far enough to crush himself under one of the wheels.

I'd defo aim to re-route the cable indoors as you say. I'd also suggest you replace the cut cable with new but consider making it a tamper circuit ie if it's cut it sets the alarm off. not sure how exactly you'd do that but it can't be difficult (at least I wouldn't have thought so) ie cable hold a relay open - once cut it closes relay and activates horn?

with any luck it would give thieving Censored a heart attack Mr. Green
Post #743046 29th Nov 2018 10:12pm
blackwolf

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Stornoway Grey
This is the normal way to disable the alarm prior to breaking into the vehicle, a very well-known vulnerability. Fit a BBUS, reroute the cable, or run a cable in parallel. Also fit additional security such as a pedal lock.
Post #743089 29th Nov 2018 11:54pm
DSC-off

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Aintree Green
Sorry to hear of your troubles, lucky you still have the Defender.
LRD Security do a kit to reroute the live cable. A bit pricey for what it is, but it has everything needed and it fits without having to measure it up first then find all the bits and pieces. So worth it in my opinion for easy fitting.

https://www.landroverdefendersecurity.com/...ation-loom

As well as rerouting the live, it's a good idea to fit an extra earth from the negative battery terminal to the body inside the battery box. It needn't be a heavy earth wire, 20amp should be ok for the intended purpose. A tip picked up on this forum a few years back.
Post #743093 30th Nov 2018 2:05am
Adam17

England 2004 Defender 110 Td5 XS CSW Java Black
Sorry to hear your news bud!
Glad you still have the truck though. Regards
Adam

Loving The Duchess
The Defender 110 TD5 XS

My Defender story - http://www.defender2.net/forum/topic64005.html
Post #743180 30th Nov 2018 3:09pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1