↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Technical > Synthetic technology oil
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
spudfan

Ireland 
Synthetic technology oil
Right I used to wonder what exactly "Synthetic Technology" on a bottle of engine oil meant. I have used Total Quartz 5W-30 Future for the Puma in the past. Label wise it meets all of the specifications and it has Synthetic Technology emblazoned on the bottle. A little research has thrown up this from the ELF lubricants site. And as a picture is worth a 1000 words etc etc
http://www.elf.com/en/advice-corner/synthe...c-oil.html
Have a look at the illustration. Synthetic Technology is a step up from semi synthetic but it is still refined mineral oil with some fancy molecules thrown into the mix.
There is no precise definition of semi synthetic oil or indeed synthetic technology oil. Each manufacturer has it's own definition and so long as the base mineral has been tweeked it can qualify. In Europe synthetic oil has to be 100% synthetic so you are safe enough there. However due to a judge in America being bamboozled with technical info he didn't under stand (by Castrol it seems) some of the other categories can qualify as "synthetic" in the USA because they have been tweeked and synthetic additives added to them.
So if you want the full benefit of synthetic oil, especially on start ups, make sure it says FULLY SYNTHETIC or 100% Synthetic on the label. .
I am not saying that the other categories are no good. They may meet all of the LR/JLR specifications but they will not deliver the pros of "Fully Synthetic" oil. 1982 88" 2.25 diesel
1992 110 200tdi csw -Zikali
2008 110 2.4 tdci csw-Zulu
2011 110 2.4 tdci csw-Masai
Post #743029 29th Nov 2018 8:14pm
OJ

Scotland 2015 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Corris Grey
Good homework and write up Thumbs Up
Post #743038 29th Nov 2018 8:47pm
Bluest

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Java Black
It’s a minefield subject that’s for sure. I’ve done quite a bit of reading and knew most of what Spudfan has said but even so, oil marketing is a shady area.

So, my current oil is this https://www.opieoils.co.uk/p-84114-fuchs-t...e-oil.aspx

Now the word synthetic appears a lot in the description, but is it actually fully synthetic? I’m not sure.

ETA: Just spotted it does say fully synth on the Opie page, bottom right. 2007 110 TDCi Station Wagon XS
Post #743040 29th Nov 2018 8:58pm
Stu_XS

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Aintree Green
It's not quite as simple as comparing fully Synthetic with a Synthetic Technology as generally the Synthetic Technology would have had to meet the same requirements of the standard. For example Total is very innovative with additive technology and especially in FE lubricants.

There are lots of myths around engine oils, especially those recommended by OEM's or used by OEM's as first fill. For example for many years Castrol supplied the Quantum range for VW TPS outlets however they recently lost the business to Fuchs but people view it as a VW or Quantum product without knowing who is behind it. It also doesn't follow that a main dealer will use the same the OEM did at first fill, often they'll buy whatever is cheapest from their supplier.

I once had a bit of a ding dong with a Caterpillar technician on site because he was trying to tell the customer that he was buying the wrong oil and that the customer should only buy the oil that Caterpillar makes. He wouldn't have it that Caterpillar doesn't make oil, it simply sells a product manufactured by someone else and branded as Caterpillar.

I always advocate in discussions about which oil to use that it's best just to buy an oil that meets the OEM spec. As a consumer it's quite difficult to be objective about which oil may be best or not.

A bit off topic but as an example you can look at the label on a Halfords branded oil and see their current supplier is Comma by some of the details they provide.

I'm guessing you have a 2.4 as Quartz 9000 Future NFC 5W30 is suitable for 2.4 engines.

Quartz Ineo C1 5W-30 is suitable for 2.2 engines with DPF, this is what I am using.

https://catalog.lubricants.total.com/en/pr...O-C1-5W-30

It's quite common practice across all the major brands to use Synthetic Technology.

I checked the Shell Lube Match for a 2,4 and that recommends a Synthetic Technology product

https://www.shell-livedocs.com/data/publis...3e5dfd.pdf

Castrol has it too. I think the old favourite Magnatech is part synthetic. Stu...

2013 Aintree Green 90 XS SW 2.2 Puma
Post #743060 29th Nov 2018 9:31pm
spudfan

Ireland 
I agree that it is a very complicated subject. The above was just my journey in finding out what Synthetic Technology is.
Using Comma X-Tech at the moment and have done for the last few oil changes.
I get 3 x 5 litre bottles delivered for £68.19. 1982 88" 2.25 diesel
Post #743064 29th Nov 2018 9:43pm
Stu_XS

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Aintree Green
Bluest wrote:
It’s a minefield subject that’s for sure. I’ve done quite a bit of reading and knew most of what Spudfan has said but even so, oil marketing is a shady area.

So, my current oil is this https://www.opieoils.co.uk/p-84114-fuchs-t...e-oil.aspx

Now the word synthetic appears a lot in the description, but is it actually fully synthetic? I’m not sure.

ETA: Just spotted it does say fully synth on the Opie page, bottom right.

Yours gives a good example to look at.

Fuchs Titan Supersyn is ACEA A3/B4 specification - Blue
Total Quartz 9000 Future NFC is ACEA A5/B5 specification - Light Grey
Total Quartz Ineo C1 is ACEA C1 specification - Dark Grey

When you use this specification tool from Lubrizol it paints a different picture to the assumption that fully synthetic is better when in fact by my reckoning Spud's Synthetic Technology trumps the Fuchs Supersyn. Good marketing??? Smile

The Comma X-Tech is also ACEA A5/B5 the same as the Quartz 9000 Future NFC.

Click image to enlarge
 Stu...

2013 Aintree Green 90 XS SW 2.2 Puma
Post #743072 29th Nov 2018 9:53pm
Bluest

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Java Black
I can’t really grasp what that chart is showing, being colourblind probably doesn’t help! 2007 110 TDCi Station Wagon XS
Post #743077 29th Nov 2018 10:04pm
spudfan

Ireland 
Eh, my brain is getting addled so I'm off to bed. See you all tomorrow.
P.S. Hope I don't dream of fluid in 5 litre bottles..... 1982 88" 2.25 diesel
Post #743078 29th Nov 2018 10:04pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1