↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Maintenance & Modifications > Soundproofing and carpet! Advice needed on what to do...
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 2 <12
Print this entire topic · 
bankz5152

2004 Defender 110 Td5 DCPU Epsom Green
Paulcmccormack wrote:
Thanks for the Carpet info and verdicts on soundproofing.

I was contemplating buying and making my own with marine grade fabric/carpet, but in reality I doubt i’d Have the time or patience and the results would be ok, but not professional.
Same with the Dynanat, it’s expensive and probably no better than all others, but it’s cut to size so easy to fit bit by bit in no time.

Anyone have dynanat under an exmore carpet set! Is there enough overlength to join the corners?

Yes there is. Though I wouldnt use dynamat, so over priced. Look at Fatmat instead much cheaper and the same quality if not better. I used megamat on my seatbox with LRI carpet on top. Fit perfectly. Instagram @defender_ventures
Empire Tuning - Agent
Post #742373 26th Nov 2018 6:08pm
Paulcmccormack

United Kingdom 2010 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 CSW Zambezi Silver
Loads of good info from everyone. I agree completely that Dynamat os the most expensive option by far. However it does have the luxury of being cut to shape. I suppose it depends if you value your day ,or your dollars. I can see why people use it but for me I'll take the time and just plod along with it but by bit.

As for the alternatives there seem to be literally hundreds from eBay, Amazon, online car shops etc.. So I'm just going to buy one on sheets that's a decent thickness and hope the carpets fit over the top. Also buy a thinner one for the doors and areas that may be a bit fiddly with carpet.

The idea of addiing it to the inner of the door cards is a brilliant one too.

Will just attack each area bit by bit buy I'm assuming i can write off a weekend at least.

Thanks agiain fo the as always useful tips.
Paul
Post #742668 27th Nov 2018 11:27pm
G4V JW

United Kingdom 
@landroveranorak

I take it you used spray glue to fix your carpet, did you find it stuck ok to the sound deadening ? Exactly how I’m planning to do mine but unsure whether the glue would stick ??

Cheers Instagram; @gavin_walding
Post #742887 28th Nov 2018 10:29pm
Yulong

United Kingdom 
I too did out my Hard Top with Silent Coat using a bulk pack from Amazon for £80, couple hours of cutting and shaping easy as pie.

MUD panels on the sides totally recommend for anyone just don’t do what I did and struggle with just a couple drill bits that blunt quickly, gets a six or ten pack and it’ll buzz through the tub in minutes. Drill holes, plastic tree fixings, job done.

Last piece I got was the bare roof insulated, sourced self-adhesive 4cm thick plain acoustic foam factory cut to size from eFoam for around £60.

Oh and the heavy LR rubber mat.

Around £500 all-in and an afternoon’s work TOTALLY changed the vehicle Very Happy
Post #742899 28th Nov 2018 11:03pm
Paulcmccormack

United Kingdom 2010 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 CSW Zambezi Silver
Anyone done insulation/carpeting a 110 7 seater? Looking for a realistic time estimate for a full proofing and carpet.
Chassis front, middle and rear
Door sides panels etc.. removal of cards. Fitting etc.
Roof (wmremoval if headlining etc..)

Did you need to remove all the seats/internals or just lift, fit and job done?
How easy is it to cut the bits? Not technically but time.

Lastly fitting a full set of carpets?
Post #742907 29th Nov 2018 12:33am
Sulisuli

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 HT Corris Grey
OP have a look at the search facility on here, middle of the screen just below the banner, it’s a great tool and may give you a lot of assistance Thumbs Up 2015 HT XS 90
2008 SVX 90
2000 XS TD5 90
Post #742911 29th Nov 2018 7:11am
LandRoverAnorak

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Orkney Grey
G4V JW wrote:
@landroveranorak

I take it you used spray glue to fix your carpet, did you find it stuck ok to the sound deadening ? Exactly how I’m planning to do mine but unsure whether the glue would stick ??

Yeah, that's right. It's a high temp spray that came with the carpet. You spray it to both surfaces, allow to go off for a few minutes and then it sticks like the proverbial to a blanket. That included the bare metal of the bulkhead, directly to Silent Coat and to the closed cell foam where that was used.

There's a few more details here:

https://www.defender2.net/forum/post622546.html#622546

and here:

https://www.defender2.net/forum/post635199.html#635199 Darren

110 USW BUILD THREAD - EXPEDITION TRAILER - 200tdi 90 BUILD THREAD - SANKEY TRAILER - IG@landroveranorak

"You came in that thing? You're braver than I thought!" - Princess Leia
Post #742916 29th Nov 2018 9:01am
CDN38

Canada 2000 Defender 110 Td5 SW Bonatti Grey
Britpart actually sells pre-cut Dyanamat kits. I have installed a couple of these sets and they do work very well.

Although you can buy sheets and cut it yourself, it's easy to go overboard and wallpaper the whole truck, which really wastes time and money. With the kit, it just gives you what you need, all said out and easy to do.

After the Dynamat, (floor and beatbox kit, sheets on the interior roof and over top of the original sound deadening material inside the doors) Genuine carpets were fitted. This combination made a HUGE difference in reducing road noise.

https://www.britpart.com/parts/enhancements/defender/dynamat/

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge
 it's a Landrover thing...

my renovation thread:
http://www.defender2.net/forum/topic40792.html
Post #743026 29th Nov 2018 9:05pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 2 <12