↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Td5 > Cruise control switches?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
derbywill

England 2005 Defender 90 Td5 XS CSW Java Black
Cruise control switches?
Does anyone know if Land Rover ever produced cruise control switches (On/off and Resume) in the style of the later Td5 switches?

Or a company that will engrave blank switch fronts?

Reason I ask is I want to fit a Rear work lamp switch and have the nice looking O.E ones that are now produced but want to replace my aftermarket cruise switches with something more O.E .

I am to fit them below the radio in a triple switch holder.

Cheers

Will 2005 90 XS
1954 86'' Series 1 tilt
Post #736164 22nd Oct 2018 12:15pm
mk1collector

England 2004 Defender 110 Td5 CSW Bonatti Grey
I used the disco 2 set and resume switch and made my own on/off one.

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge
 Ray
My build thread
http://www.defender2.net/forum/topic17615.html
Post #736176 22nd Oct 2018 3:11pm
derbywill

What sort of connector is on the disco switch? or is it a fly lead?

How did you make the on/off one?

Cheers

Will 2005 90 XS
1954 86'' Series 1 tilt
Post #736480 24th Oct 2018 11:50am
mk1collector

England 2004 Defender 110 Td5 CSW Bonatti Grey
Disco switch has this end on the wires that I couldn’t find a male end for so I just cut it off and fitted an econoseal plug.

With the on off switch, I took a switch blank cap and drilled a hole for the light then got a friend who makes stickers to do me a negative of a cruise logo then stuck it on the blank cap and scratched the paint off. Like this.

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge
 Ray
My build thread
http://www.defender2.net/forum/topic17615.html
Post #736586 24th Oct 2018 10:07pm
remer

Australia 2002 Defender 130 Td5 HCPU Fuji White
Ive got some cheap switches from china on a home made plate mounted to the centre consol, can just see one of them in this pic, cost peanuts!

Click image to enlarge
Post #736876 26th Oct 2018 1:41pm
geobloke

United Kingdom 
Main on/off switch: Have thought about this for a while and have gone down the route of the Carling style switch and mounted it in a mud Pod on top of the dash. It will work well when I have made the loom - Have everything bar an inline fuse.

Set-Resume: I was tempted by the discovery switches but I haven't seen a decent enough low priced item for a while on eBay. So I am going for a pair of low profile metal MOM switches which I will mount on the right hand-side of the instrument binnacle. They have different coloured lighting rings to differentiate.

Might as well add this in; If you have changed the gearing of your Defender you will need a speedo-healer to correct the pulse signal reaching the ECU. If you do not then CC will not work in 5th gear or with an overdrive.

Click image to enlarge
Post #736883 26th Oct 2018 2:55pm
Justtellme

Canada 2003 Defender 110 Td5 SW Oslo Blue
“Disco switch has this end on the wires that I couldn’t find a male end for so I just cut it off and fitted an econoseal plug”

I looked for the male plug for a while as well....and finally found it online in ebay as the Land Rover clock connector. Had to trim one alignment tang, but it snaps together nice and comes with the terminals.
See link below....I think that is the one I used.
Patrick

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/DEFENDER-TD5-An...XQVERStwss
Post #737210 28th Oct 2018 12:23pm
derbywill

Cheers Everyone,

I am wanting to replace my aftermarket switches and fit a genuine type switch, I am thinking of fitting the Disco 2 set and resume switches, interested how you managed to mount Them to the column surround.

I just need to find someone to engrave a switch for the on/off.

Cheer

Will 2005 90 XS
1954 86'' Series 1 tilt
Post #737304 28th Oct 2018 8:38pm
PaulMc

United Kingdom 1989 Defender 110 2.5 TD HT Arles Blue
Justtellme wrote:
“Disco switch has this end on the wires that I couldn’t find a male end for so I just cut it off and fitted an econoseal plug”

I looked for the male plug for a while as well....and finally found it online in ebay as the Land Rover clock connector. Had to trim one alignment tang, but it snaps together nice and comes with the terminals.
See link below....I think that is the one I used.
Patrick

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/DEFENDER-TD5-An...XQVERStwss

That's one of my eBay listings Smile

I can also supply the correct White 3-way connector to mate with the D2's Set/Resume column switch.

. Paul.
1989 Arles Blue 2.5TD 110 Hardtop
1999 Epsom Green Discovery II 4.0 V8i 'XS'
Post #737306 28th Oct 2018 8:59pm
sherifsalem

Portugal 2005 Defender 90 Td5 ST Java Black
Hi

i fitted this complete kit which includes everything you need and it is very practical and simple

https://www.nakatanenga.de/elektro/geraete...-my02-my07

check my below blog to see some pictures. Happy Travel
www.thegippo.wordpress.com
Post #741177 18th Nov 2018 10:41pm
TJH1985

United Kingdom 
geobloke wrote:

Might as well add this in; If you have changed the gearing of your Defender you will need a speedo-healer to correct the pulse signal reaching the ECU. If you do not then CC will not work in 5th gear or with an overdrive.

Does this include a change in transfer box? Do you happen to know what the ECU is comparing it against, is it a simple rpm vs speed?

I have had all the bits to do this for a while, but might be pointless if I also need a speed healer. I know my speedo is spot on vs GPS with a puma T Box.

Thanks,

Tom
Post #741179 18th Nov 2018 10:51pm
geobloke

United Kingdom 
There have been folks who have needed a speedo healer with the discovery gear-set, some who have not. It will depend upon the size of your tyres.

Speedo Healer is about £80 and I expect there might be a chance of a black Friday deal so keep your ears to the ground.

I believe it is a simple RPM (via pulse generator in the transfer box) vs. Speed. The on-board cruise programming has set parameters to work within and by all accounts they must be quite tight operating brackets as merely changing the gearing slightly prevents the cruise control working in 5th gear and/or 5th + overdrive.

FYI the plug and play Defender TD5 speedo healer fits between the transfer box and speedo so if you like the speedo reading close to GPS speed over land then you'll have to splice the speedo healer in between the speedo and the ECU. Therefore, interrupting the signal from the speedo to the ECU. This is next on my list and might get a chance to do it this week... Rolling with laughter Weather permitting.
Post #741213 19th Nov 2018 10:05am
TJH1985

United Kingdom 
One way to find out I guess Mr. Green I’ll rig it up temporarily and see if it works before committing to it Thumbs Up

Thanks
Post #741220 19th Nov 2018 11:28am
achuakh

Singapore 2002 Defender 90 Td5 SW Oslo Blue
It also depends on where your hands are when driving the vehicle. This is entirely my own experience. I have no intention of offending anyone.

I have 2 stainless steel MOM buttons next to the cubby box, which will control the functions of the cruise control. Why this works for me, is because of the following below. I've tested this on an 8000km trip.

I did think about the disco switch on the steering column as some have pictures to show how factory it looked and i was pretty much tempted.

However, to set that, it would require that i move my right hand from my usual driving position at 2 o'clock to press the buttons, meaning, either i had to stretch my finger a little to do that, or i had to transfer the wheel to my left hand and then use my right hand to press it.

The wire run from the ECU would then need to go from the ECU, out of the seat box, to the engine bay and thru the firewall into the dashboard and it was a long run and maybe i was lazy.

Having it next to the cubby box would mean that now I would route the wire out the seat box from the ECU and then a short run and up thru an existing grommet to end up exactly where i want it.

The choice of switches to me was very important as I don't want to be in a situation where i'm guessing if the press on the button did trigger the function or not, so i spent $11 on each push button switch to ensure this.

For me, this is the most important part. Usually my left hand is the hand that is free to let go of the wheel to reach around the cab and push buttons and having it low down just near my thigh is where i need the least amount of strength to lift my hand and the little metal plate which i mounted these two switch are at the edge of the cubby box front, so there's no fumbling to find it even in darkness.

I located the speedo healer next to the ECU and tapped into the same power wire of the ECU and same ground point of the ECU to prevent any funny ground loops from happening. Having all the wires as short as possible and not cutting the original wires will reduce failures. I used the correct econoseal terminal pins to ensure that i can simply disconnect all the wires and straight plug back the wires into the ECU if there was a problem with the circuit. Of course i did fuse the entire circuit with a 1 amp fuse, I might bring it down to 500mA but the shop didn't have such a fuse.

I don't have an on/off button but it has not affected operations of the vehicle in anyway, a year on. From the land of the most expensive land rover defenders on planet earth. At �125k for a XS 110 csw and you get to own it only for 10yrs! Please find me a good reason to stay on this island.
Post #742012 24th Nov 2018 3:21pm
lightning

United Kingdom 
sherifsalem wrote:
Hi

i fitted this complete kit which includes everything you need and it is very practical and simple

https://www.nakatanenga.de/elektro/geraete...-my02-my07

check my below blog to see some pictures.

I believe this kit works on the later post-2001 TD5 and l have been looking for a supplier. This kit used to be widely available but seemed to have disappeared from UK suppliers.

The link shows the German site, if you switch to the English site/shop it doesn’t find the part.
Post #742097 25th Nov 2018 12:37am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>