↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Wheels & Tyres > swingaway rear wheel carrier
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 2 <12
Print this entire topic · 
BigMike

United Kingdom 
Zagato wrote:
£295 + VAT It attaches to the crossmember and uses existing holes in the rear door.

How much is a Sonic, Mantec etc folks Question How does it compare price wise?

sonic one is £600 from memory. mantec slightly more than the SE one i think
Post #70671 12th May 2011 2:32pm
BigMike

United Kingdom 
by the way zag, unless you plan to do much offroad driving, i would say there is little point in you buying a swingaway
Post #70673 12th May 2011 2:40pm
blackwolf

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Stornoway Grey
Looking at the photo of that Mantec, I imagine that that would also be a problem with an Ifor Williams top.

The issue with the IW tops is that since the rear flap is the full with of the canopy (very useful for getting stuff in and out), it will often foul the top of the spare wheel (when the wheel is swung out, of course) as it comes up. Very few carriers actually swing the wheel further out than the side of the vehicle.

The Sonic one is easy to alter to accomodate this (I simply added an adaptor plate to move the wheel further to the left, so that when open it is further away from the flap) but other makes may not be so easy.

Of course, if you don't have a Ifor Williams or similar canopy this will be of no interest anyway!
Post #70678 12th May 2011 2:57pm
Zagato
Site Supporter

United Kingdom 
BigMike wrote:
by the way zag, unless you plan to do much offroad driving, i would say there is little point in you buying a swingaway

Do you mean the extra stresses put on the door whilst it is shut when the vehicle is banging up and down Confused Your probably right. I was wondering if it is worth it, you might be able to pick up a new door for the same price in years to come, also it is extra weight. Maybe I should leave it. I didn't have one on my Td5 and it was still OK at 80,000 miles 7 years old.

Perhaps most of the stress is put on through use and when it is left open, as you say mine won't get much use and won't be seriously offroaded Thumbs Up
Post #70716 12th May 2011 5:37pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
BigMike

United Kingdom 
No it's definitely the vibration of being off tarmac roads. there is little stress when its on the open door. You can also improve things by taking the wheel off and making sure there are washers behind the spacers, then tightening up the spacers with mole grips (dont go mad). this stops the bolts from vibrating and means that when the nuts on the wheel are tight, everything is tight and the load is pretty even.

I dont have one but have been thinking about it more to carry madams bike than anything else. there is a fitting from pendle cycles which sits on the frame of the bolts and protrudes through the holes in the wheel but i wouldnt use it without a swing away in place.
Post #70719 12th May 2011 5:57pm
Zagato
Site Supporter

United Kingdom 
Ah! Thanks for that Thumbs Up Were looking into bike racks at the moment, probably one that fits onto the tow bar that the bikes hang off - doesn't matter if they rub each other they get thrown in the back of the 109" at the moment anyway Rolling Eyes as well as the wife Very Happy
Post #70785 13th May 2011 8:00am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Lorryman100

My vote is for the nakatanenga wheel carrier Thumbs Up

http://www.defender2.net/forum/topic4659.html
Post #70799 13th May 2011 10:15am
mattlab

England 2009 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Galway Green
hi,i have just fitted a mantec wheel carrier on my 110 usw and i was expecting the opening of the door to feel like it didn`t have the weight of the wheel on it, but it still feels just as heavy, is this right? i feel i have adjusted the brackets so they are central and without the wheel it felt light as you would expect, soon as i put the wheel on i could really feel the weight, have i done something wrong ? LIFE`S TOO SHORT TO DRIVE A BORING VEHICLE
Post #71135 16th May 2011 1:40pm
leeds

United Kingdom 
Lorryman100 wrote:
My vote is for the nakatanenga wheel carrier Thumbs Up

http://www.defender2.net/forum/topic4659.html

Now I wonder who has the Nakatanenga wheel carrier in stock in the UK Whistle Whistle

Brendan
Post #71143 16th May 2011 2:28pm
frapert

United Kingdom 2006 Defender 90 Td5 CSW Keswick Green
just fitted Safari-Equipe carrier yesterday. nice heavy metal, but not so sure how long paint finish will last.
fitting was fairly easy after they emailed fitting instructions which were not in the box.
only problem I found was that the door mount didnt line up with the original LH centre mount hole which the instructions suggested should happen. overall pretty good kit.
Post #73926 2nd Jun 2011 10:20pm
leeds

United Kingdom 
It is not a paint finish but powder coated.

It is possible to get their wheel carriers galvanised prior to powder coating.

Brendan
Post #73936 3rd Jun 2011 12:37am
blackwolf

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Stornoway Grey
Out of interest, of the carriers listed sofar in this thread, which can be fitted to a vehicle with a drop-down tailgate as opposed to a hinged door.

The Sonic carrrier can (the main reason I bought one), but can any of the others? They mostly seem to require the door.
Post #73955 3rd Jun 2011 8:59am
Drover

Australia 
Another vote for KayMar,

I have had mine fitted for about 2 years, done lots Km's of extreme corragations, been across the Simpson Desert - no issues.

Cost is about $1200 AUD's , but they are a serious piece of kit....

Click image to enlarge

Admin note: this post has had its images recovered from a money grabbing photo hosting site and reinstated Mr. Green
Post #73995 3rd Jun 2011 1:44pm
leeds

United Kingdom 
blackwolf wrote:
Out of interest, of the carriers listed sofar in this thread, which can be fitted to a vehicle with a drop-down tailgate as opposed to a hinged door.

The Sonic carrrier can (the main reason I bought one), but can any of the others? They mostly seem to require the door.

Safari Equip do one for a drop down tailgate.

Click image to enlarge

They also can do specials for Ibexs as well. (However the lead time can be rather on the long side Rolling with laughter )

Whereas their standard swing away wheel carrier offsets the spare wheel they do have a different set of brackets which keeps the wheel more central.

Their standard wheel carrier is just powdered coated but it is possible to have them galvanised, hi lift jack mounts etc fitted.

HTH

Brendan

Admin note: this post has had its images recovered from a money grabbing photo hosting site and reinstated Mr. Green
Post #74038 3rd Jun 2011 7:26pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 2 <12