↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > In Car Electronics > Boomslang operation HELP
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Bongo1

United Kingdom 
Boomslang operation HELP
Hi with thanks to kind members I have my Boomslang kit fitted spots fitted via a switch in the cab in case i want to isolate from main beam . BUT BUT BUT , Light switch now if in side Light position with ignition off (no warning lights etc) thats fine , Turn ignition on in sidelight position dip lights are on also , push light switch to normal dip/main light position no change unless flip stalk for main beam and they work ok as do spots on main if switched on . Have my lights been so bad i never notice dip were on in first position with sides when running , OR have I a problem .
Post #738829 5th Nov 2018 7:28pm
Procta

United Kingdom 
The head lights do have a 3 way bulb sort of speak, They have one part of the bulb that comes on with the side lights, and a another part of the bulb that is the dipped Beam and the last section is the full beam. Strong chance is that you have just noticed this before. Thumbs Up my dad was the same with his, in fact he thought he had a electrical problem, and a had a right argument with me until I showed him on a rover metro with the same setup Defender TD5 90 ---/--- Peugeot 306 HDI hatch back

Success is 90% Inspiration and 4 minutes Preparation # you can make it!
Post #738837 5th Nov 2018 7:51pm
LandRoverAnorak

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Orkney Grey
Are you talking about the dim dip function, Procta? If so, that isn't a separate bulb - it's the regular dipped beam bulb but powered via a relay through a chuffing great resistor that reduces it's output to a glow when the side lights are on. Not fitted to all models, either.

Bongo1, if your dipped beam comes on when you've only selected side lights then you've connected something up wrong. It's difficult to know what at this distance, though. I can only suggest that you go through the new connections and check each one as you go. Darren

110 USW BUILD THREAD - EXPEDITION TRAILER - 200tdi 90 BUILD THREAD - SANKEY TRAILER - IG@landroveranorak

"You came in that thing? You're braver than I thought!" - Princess Leia
Post #738857 5th Nov 2018 9:00pm
Bongo1

United Kingdom 
The lights were so dim before they may as well of not been on so perhaps never noticed . ive been told its a dim dip relay ?? not much dim dip going on . So its right then , ignition off sides work as normal . It was when i turned the ignition on and the dipped beam came on (that's what got me) and pushing the switch forward position 2 headlights on and nothing appeared to change until i pushed the stalk for full beam . Anyway thanks for that , i was just about to go back out and start messing to try and sort it . lol .
Post #738861 5th Nov 2018 9:08pm
Bongo1

United Kingdom 
Landroveranorak . 1996 300tdi Dont know what though , its a plug and play . only i wired earth back to the battery . i wired spots but used the redundant plug to trigger the spots relay . which work ok on high beam . halogen bulb wire is live and bulb case is the earth . Nothing else to wire up . If this dim dip works with sides will i notice a big difference when dip is activated . (as in light switch position 2)
Post #738864 5th Nov 2018 9:15pm
LandRoverAnorak

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Orkney Grey
If it is the dim dip setting then yes, you should notice a difference when the dipped beam is switched on properly, particularly with your new loom installed.

You can disable the dim dip function relatively easily. Either disconnect the large resistor that's mounted on the drivers side inner wing or bridge the relay. The latter is mounted behind the instruments and is pink. With the relay removed, it's possible to bridge the contacts with a short piece of wire with spade connectors on each end. I can't remember, off hand, which two contacts need bridging but I'm sure that a search on here for 'dim dip relay' will reveal what you need to know. Darren

110 USW BUILD THREAD - EXPEDITION TRAILER - 200tdi 90 BUILD THREAD - SANKEY TRAILER - IG@landroveranorak

"You came in that thing? You're braver than I thought!" - Princess Leia

Last edited by LandRoverAnorak on 6th Nov 2018 7:36am. Edited 1 time in total
Post #738873 5th Nov 2018 9:34pm
Bongo1

United Kingdom 
maybe im best disabling it , then at least i will know if that is whats happening . They are just so bright compared to the old lights .
Post #738925 6th Nov 2018 1:53am
blackwolf

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Stornoway Grey
The best thing to do with dim dip is to disable it. You'll find your bulbs last longer as well.
Post #738963 6th Nov 2018 9:20am
Bongo1

United Kingdom 
RESULT RESULT HA HA , IT was that dim dip effort , But I did not strip the dash out to bridge the relay , I unplugged the (resistor?) Under the bonnet o/s wing . And now just sides in position one (and not + dip with ignition on) position two Dip until flip stalk for hi-beam , As it should be . Appears same issue happens if you fit halo's Led lights , Not sure if that also includes a boomslang loom it didn't say . Thanks again everyone for your help , I hope this helps someone else in future if it comes up again . Just in case boomslang kit yes you can use the reduntant female plug o/s to trigger the relay for spots .
Post #738987 6th Nov 2018 11:09am
Procta

United Kingdom 
LandRoverAnorak wrote:
Are you talking about the dim dip function, Procta? If so, that isn't a separate bulb - it's the regular dipped beam bulb but powered via a relay through a chuffing great resistor that reduces it's output to a glow when the side lights are on. Not fitted to all models, either.

I think the rover metro had a resistor for that sort of thing on the driver side, come to think about it. I always thought the bulb had a 3 way system on it. Smile
I wonder if my dads has the resistor. Defender TD5 90 ---/--- Peugeot 306 HDI hatch back

Success is 90% Inspiration and 4 minutes Preparation # you can make it!
Post #740148 12th Nov 2018 9:30pm
custom90

United Kingdom 
I had the same issue with mine. Was a real headache when I fitted my Noldens. I unplugged the resistor too. Then from there I fitted blanking plugs to those connections. (Just to keep them clean and dry.) All been good ever since. 👍🏻 Diesel$ Live$ Matter. ⛽️🛢️👨‍🔧🧰⚙️ RED, WHITE & BOOST! 🇬🇧
Post #740154 12th Nov 2018 9:43pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1