↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > In Car Electronics > External Auxiliary lighting. More questions!
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
BenB8man

United Kingdom 2010 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Stornoway Grey
External Auxiliary lighting. More questions!
Hi chaps

I've recently bought some LED lights for my DCPU and have a few questions. I have searched around and read so much information about it, but these are the questions I have left.

There's loads of info on the front foglight button and how its a earth switching so is a little more difficult to wire up, but from what I can see of the diagram I can't work out how that's actually the case. Have I got this wrong or is it just my incorrect terminology.

Click image to enlarge

To me it looks like when the button is pushed and you have 12v from the full beam indication light the relay is activated.

Anyway, if that's all correct and I'm just getting myself confused, where is that relay because I already have that switch plugged into something. Is this standard wiring or is this something the PO had wired in?

Click image to enlarge

If the PO had something wired in then I'll probably just cut and solder those wires to some extra relays but if its standard I would like to use the original relay. I can't see anything in the wiring diagrams and I know there used to be a winch installed. If it helps, I do not get any red indication light but I do get the green illumination.

On another note, I have a few wires I'm not sure about that were coiled up behind the steering column. Any ideas what these could be?

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

I'm sure there'll be more questions but these will keep me going for now Thumbs Up

Thank ya!
Post #739350 8th Nov 2018 3:53pm
BenB8man

Ok, just as I post this I have a brainwave. It's the Blue and White/Blue that are the switching pair. This seems to suddenly make sense as I get illumination but no indication. I'd now guess that there isn't a standard relay hidden somewhere. Just a little surprised they've put the switch there if nothing was fitted. Confused

Still, any ideas about the loose coiled wires under the steering column?
Post #739351 8th Nov 2018 4:00pm
Martin
Site Admin

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Montalcino Red
The wiring to the spot light switch looks home-made to me.

Scrub that, cleaned my specs and the colours match the diagram.

From the fitting instructions for the LR loom:

http://www.defendercenter.ch/VUB%20500890%...werfer.pdf

The relay should be in the battery box (pic 72 onwards).

Your other wiring matches the factory colours for the front speaker wiring.  1988 90 Td5 NAS soft top
2015 D90 XS SW
Post #739363 8th Nov 2018 4:57pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
BenB8man

I would have agreed with you. In fact I do about the factory colours, except the switching blue pair don't go anywhere. They're just looped behind the switch. Sorry if my photo doesn't show that clearly. It just seems weird to have the switch and illumination but to feed nothing, especially is its a factory install, which I believe it is.

I'm guessing that I can use them as the feed to my relays though.

Now how I want it to work, is for the front fog light switch to activate the ability for the front light bar to come on with the full beams AND for the rear spots to come on with the reverse light.

It would be great if I could combine both of these lights into the one switch but my mind is boggling a little as to how I can get this to work without getting overly complicated or resorting to coding an Arduino.

Any ideas?
Post #739411 8th Nov 2018 8:31pm
BenB8man

Ok, so I have a few days off and expect to be able to spend the day working on this tomorrow.

For clarity from the last posts, I am looking to have the Aux2 switch on the dash to activate all the extra lights. When the Aux2 button is pressed, I want the rear spots to come on with the reverse light and the front light bar to be on with the full beams.

Obviously I want all this to go off when that Aux2 button isn't activated. In addition I've added a rear switch so I can just switch the rear spots on if I'm working behind the truck.

This is what I've come up with so far but I am not sure if I'm just making this more complicated that needed.

I used to be good at this stuff, but for some reason my mind has struggled when planning this out. Neutral

Any advice is much appreciated.

Ben

Click image to enlarge
Post #741003 17th Nov 2018 7:44pm
Martin
Site Admin

Should the rear lamp override switch be independent of the Aux2 switch or not?

At the moment you have to have the Aux2 pressed for the rear lamp to work at all, either with reverse or the manual override.

That might be what you want but worth a check Smile  1988 90 Td5 NAS soft top
2015 D90 XS SW
Post #741004 17th Nov 2018 7:51pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
BenB8man

I'm fairly easy with that. Either or!

I'm happy for the Aux2 Switch to activate and deactivate everything.

The fact that's all you've picked up on, looks like I'm onto a winner Whistle Thumbs Up
Post #741007 17th Nov 2018 7:54pm
Martin
Site Admin

I didn't say that was all that I would change Whistle

I think you are using an extra relay to how I would do it (and you need to convert the Aux2 switch to positive side switching).

However I won't have time tonight to do a schematic of it my way Sad  1988 90 Td5 NAS soft top
2015 D90 XS SW
Post #741009 17th Nov 2018 7:57pm
BenB8man

Now the extra relay comment was where my mind was boggling. I also think I'm using an extra relay but I couldn't figure out how I could wire it to get the same ability using one less.

I also don't quite understand what you mean by positive switching. Isn't the Aux2 doing positive switching as it is? I mean, it is switching the 12v positive from the battery. Confused
Post #741012 17th Nov 2018 8:13pm
Martin
Site Admin

From the top diagram in this thread you can see the Aux2 switch output (pin 1 - blue/black) is a switched ground going off to the relay coil. The other end of the relay coil is +12V from the main bean warning lamp feed.  1988 90 Td5 NAS soft top
2015 D90 XS SW

Last edited by Martin on 17th Nov 2018 8:21pm. Edited 1 time in total
Post #741013 17th Nov 2018 8:20pm
BenB8man

Click image to enlarge

Wink
Post #741017 17th Nov 2018 8:38pm
LandRoverAnorak

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Orkney Grey
If you link the grounds from the coils of the two individual circuit relays, you can insert the Aux2 switch there and omit the first relay altogether. I suspect this is what Martin was referring to.

You could, though, introduce a second relay in the rear work light circuit so that they only come on if the side lights are on, as shown in the diagram below (ignore the switch and sockets on the right of the diagram). The practical effect of this is that the lights only come on in the dark when they're needed.

Click image to enlarge

That arrangement also gives the opportunity to change the manual switch for an on-off-on type (auto-off-manual) and use it to switch the second relay. This removes the need to run two separate feeds to the lights.

Actually, as you want the dash switch to be the master for both circuits, your rear manual switch could just be an on-on type, so you're not duplicating the isolation. Darren

110 USW BUILD THREAD - EXPEDITION TRAILER - 200tdi 90 BUILD THREAD - SANKEY TRAILER - IG@landroveranorak

"You came in that thing? You're braver than I thought!" - Princess Leia
Post #741054 18th Nov 2018 8:34am
BenB8man

Ah perfect! That's the sort of info I'm after! Final draft? Whistle

Click image to enlarge

I think I'll leave out the side light relay with a look to add it at another time. My plan eventually is to have the 'boot release' button on my keyfob to switch the worklights on for a fixed time (i.e 10 mins). All in good time Thumbs Up

Think this will keep me busy for today.

Thanks for your help!
Post #741061 18th Nov 2018 9:16am
BenB8man

Ok, just a follow up and a mention of one of my original concerns. I've obviously now moved the AUX2 switch to the GND sides of both circuits, but would this not mean that, for example, my full beams now turn on the rear reverse light? I know I could add a few diodes if needed, but not sure if that's something I need to worry about.
Post #741062 18th Nov 2018 9:22am
LandRoverAnorak

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Orkney Grey
Hmm, that's a good point. Hadn't spotted that. I guess you could solve it with a couple of diodes although, to be honest, I probably wouldn't try to control two different circuits in this way. Darren

110 USW BUILD THREAD - EXPEDITION TRAILER - 200tdi 90 BUILD THREAD - SANKEY TRAILER - IG@landroveranorak

"You came in that thing? You're braver than I thought!" - Princess Leia
Post #741142 18th Nov 2018 7:16pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1