↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Td5 > Driving lamps and Boomslang loom
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 2 <12
Print this entire topic · 
alexatnd

United Kingdom 
o.k. so guess I just need a different connector to the battery poles. on my 1999 110 there's just a large clamp onto the +ve terminal with the main power feed cable connected to it via 2 screws Santa - 1977 Series 3 - new chassis, tub, disc brakes,SU Carb
Gertie - 1999 110 TD5 - like a Phoenix from the ashes back on road... almost
Effie - 2004 110 TD5 County
Post #681064 23rd Jan 2018 1:33pm
Bongo1

United Kingdom 
Loz2286 wrote:
Finally got round to fitting the Boomslang loom today. Firstly I installed an auxiliary fuse box in the engine compartment to supply the various bits I'm going to install. I then fitted the loom following the instructions. The headlights are definitely brighter, but I've lost my sidelight option. The side lamps work when the ignition is off but the headlight switch only gives me dipped headlights not the side plus dimmed headlight.

Any ideas? Would this be an MOT failure?
Old post but I've just done this and my sides only work alone if ignition off , Turn it on and I've got dipped beam in sidelight switch position (along with sides ) Headlight position still got both until I flip the stalk for high beam
Post #738976 6th Nov 2018 9:58am
Clive

United Kingdom 2004 Defender 90 Td5 X-Tech LE Zambezi Silver
Sounds like you've still got the "dip/dim" system connected, the simple way to overcome this would be to simply disconnect the resistor mounted under the front O/S wing, near to where the aerial is mounted.

There is no requirement for this function in terms of MOT testing so nothing to worry about there.

In the longer term, for improved reliability, it's best to bypass the dim/dip relay (pink one) that's mounted behind the dash binnacle. A quick search for "dim dip" should reveal plenty of info on the subject.

Edited to add; https://www.defender2.net/forum/topic9328....dip+remove
Post #738978 6th Nov 2018 10:14am
alexatnd

United Kingdom 
Just an update on my installation.
Firstly this is a paddock spares supplied wiring harness and not the one from the Netherlands ... which is from what I can see a better product.

1). The inline fuse holder is crap. After a couple of weeks of running headlights wouldn't come on. Traced it down to the fuse holder. Wiggle it around and they come back on again. Replaced with a better 4 way fuse box

2).Would have been good if the 2 relays could be attached to the body in some way, length of cable available means its currently down just behind NSF headlamp. Need to find some double sided sticky tape to permanently attach it out of the way.

3). Another failure point is the H4 connector you use to drive the relays. Occasionally light go out and you need to prod push the H4 plug/socket assembly

Other than that ... just fine! Santa - 1977 Series 3 - new chassis, tub, disc brakes,SU Carb
Gertie - 1999 110 TD5 - like a Phoenix from the ashes back on road... almost
Effie - 2004 110 TD5 County
Post #738996 6th Nov 2018 12:14pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 2 <12