↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > In Car Electronics > 1 din solution?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 2 <12
Print this entire topic · 
stanley

United Kingdom 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Orkney Grey
If you use the phone as the main controller so to speak would that lead to potentially using a handheld device?

Click image to enlarge
Post #736036 21st Oct 2018 1:30pm
geobloke

United Kingdom 
Quote:
If you use the phone as the main controller so to speak would that lead to potentially using a handheld device?

Now that's a fabulous can of worms... Rolling Eyes Since no-one else has replied, allow me;

As I understand it and please correct me if I am wrong folks, In the UK when it comes to driving the law sits on the side of "if it distracts the driver from the job of driving then you are at risk of prosecution/fine/points-on-your-license, if caught".

The driver is allowed to use their phone or the on-board screen as a sat-nav however, the driver is not allowed to touch it once the engine is running or at standstill (traffic lights). The driver is allowed to touch their sat-nav or phone if "safely parked".

The driver is allowed to change the radio station however, if the driver is judged to be distracted by this then it falls under the "if it distracts the driver from the job of driving..." scenario.

The driver is allowed to answer a phone however, they cannot touch the phone; so hands free and voice enabled answering is necessary. If however, the driver is overly distracted by this then it falls under the "if it distracts the driver from the job of driving..." scenario. The driver is not allowed to touch the phone once the engine is running or at standstill (traffic lights). The driver is allowed to touch their sat-nav or phone if "safely parked".

The driver is allowed to eat and drink (obviously not booze) however, if the driver is overly distracted by this then it falls under the "if it distracts the driver from the job of driving..." scenario.

Of course the driver has to be caught before this is a problem for them however, the laws on driver distractions are only ever going to get more strict and more enforced.

The passenger only falls under the above rules if they are supervising a learner driver.

So to answer your question; as the driver cannot physically engage with something that could distract them from the job of driving then it does not matter that the phone is used as the interface for the stereo because the driver cannot touch it anyway.
Post #736316 23rd Oct 2018 8:56am
MikeJ

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 130 Puma 2.2 HCPU Fuji White
http://www.bbc.co.uk/newsbeat/article/3913...re-driving

I think you're ok if you are not holding the phone.
If it's in a cradle or holder like this one, then it's not illegal to touch it (as you would touch a built in radio/sat nav/any other vehicle control).
However, you can still be prosecuted under the "if it distracts the driver".
You just can't be done for using a hand held device in this case.
Post #736661 25th Oct 2018 11:47am
Grenadier

France 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Corris Grey
Two observations on the general thread.

First, Mrs Grenadier borrowed my iPad to play Spotify in her car recently (she has Audi MMI which works brilliantly with Spotify, btw) and I was forced to revert to using an SD Card which I keep in the mechless drive as back up. I never use the radio as in France it is basically s**t. Wow, what a difference. The quality of sound from an SD card with non compressed digital file is a world apart from Spotify through BT which is my daily choice. So much so that I might just create a selection of playlists on SD cards and keep them in the Def instead. I’m not one for swapping frequently between playlists, I’ll play one all day, maybe for a few days, so swapping cards would not be a hassle. Indeed I doubt it would be any slower than on Spotify. FYI, I do have a full Focal system and sub, which is perhaps why I noticed it more, but genuinely quite a difference to playing an app through BT. Thumbs Up

Second, on the subject of phones, I’m a great believer that hands free or hand held has nothing to do with danger. I warrant that my one arm is stronger than that of young tennage girls or 80 year old men. However, when I get in the Def the phone goes in the cubby as in my opinion it is the distracting nature of phones that make them dangerous, not whether your holding them or not. I don’t believe there’s anyone on this planet who can drive with their full attention whilst holding down a conversation with a third party at the other end of the line. You can with a passenger who will instinctively be observing your driving and traffic conditions, pausing naturally as you conduct manoeuvres, but not someone at distance. I personally think their use in a car, by the driver, should be banned, totally. Whistle Monsieur Le Grenadier

I've not been everywhere, but it's on my list.....

2011 Puma 110DC - Corris Grey
Post #736691 25th Oct 2018 1:53pm
Andyslandy

United Kingdom 2004 Defender 110 Td5 CSW Blenheim Silver
I was looking for a double DIN solution for my TD5 and was about to go down the Alpine Double screen with single DIN but didn’t really want to spend that much. Then just as I was about to push the button on this i had a last search and found the Sony XAV-AX1000 which was £279. However it is on Amazon at £216 today!

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge
Post #741784 22nd Nov 2018 6:42pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 2 <12