↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Maintenance & Modifications > Bloomslang loom is it needed with Crystal headlights & B
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 5 of 6 <123456>
Print this entire topic · 
LandRoverAnorak

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Orkney Grey
I think what Steve is trying to say is that the positions of pins 85 and 86 on his diode equipped relay are the opposite way around to a standard relay, hence he's had to swap the wires in the plug on the new loom?

Having said that, looking these two images, it would appear that it's pins 30 and 86 that are swapped.

Standard relay:

Click image to enlarge

Diode-equipped relay, albeit a 30amp version:

Click image to enlarge

You're unlikely to notice any difference in operation though. Diode-equipped relays slow down the energising of the coil by a few milliseconds to prevent voltage spikes damaging sensitive electronics, but that doesn't really apply to spot lights. Darren

110 USW BUILD THREAD - EXPEDITION TRAILER - 200tdi 90 BUILD THREAD - SANKEY TRAILER - IG@landroveranorak

"You came in that thing? You're braver than I thought!" - Princess Leia
Post #600595 10th Feb 2017 9:46am
custom90

United Kingdom 
LRA - That's what I was saying.
I definitely had to swap the female spades over to suit these Relays, a standard Relay would be fine as it was due to the fact the can be wired +86 - 85 OR +85 - 86. (Polarity doesn't matter like a Halogen light bulb)

These relays need to be + 86 and the plugs on the Landreiziger loom were opposite.

I tend to think voltage spike suppression can only be a good thing anyway, although I'm running Halogen spotlights at the moment with advances in LED tech they are a lot more sensitive.
Also the same goes for the LED Noldens I'm going to fit.

Ignoring the Relays, the loom mod on its own really does make a difference for sure. Diesel$ Live$ Matter. ⛽️🛢️👨‍🔧🧰⚙️ RED, WHITE & BOOST! 🇬🇧
Post #600622 10th Feb 2017 12:13pm
pme

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 SW Tonga Green
boomslang loom, a note of caution
I fitted a boomslang from paddock about 5 months ago, on an 07 plate puma. Fuse holder in the battery box. Had a funny recently where the headlights would not give main beam. Dug around, fuse holder had melted, "left hand " relay was also running hot. Main power lead to the fuseholder is sleeved in red, that was also running very warm, under the sleeve the cable looks big but if you strip it back its very fine. Replaced the holder and also the main feed from the batter, the wire is really not up to the job, more like a speaker wire. The wire to the front relays from the fuse holder seems much bigger in cross section. Maybe I was just unlucky and got a bad one!
Have a look at yours and see if the fuseholder is ok.
rgds
Post #606464 3rd Mar 2017 5:33pm
custom90

United Kingdom 
What was the fuse rating pme?
Was there any printing on fuse holder as to its current capacity?

I'm happy with my Land Reziger loom, and if it wasn't available I'd have made my own loom.

IIRC the Land Reziger loom is fused at 30A (twin feeds for main & dipped) which gives a good allowance for capacity but protection for wiring.
The other trigger feeds etc are of course protected as standard fusebox rating.

The Boomslang loom I'm not a fan of personally and the fuse holder mekting is a fire risk, either the holder is not rated to take the current or the fuse is rated too close to the current draw load causing it to overheat but not blow.

I think there should be at least a good 5A difference rating on these above actual load, to factor in various variables, voltage spikes, inrush currents etc.
Typically fuse rating is around 1/4 more than the current load, and is to protect the cable so the cable needs to be rated above the capacity of the fuse. Diesel$ Live$ Matter. ⛽️🛢️👨‍🔧🧰⚙️ RED, WHITE & BOOST! 🇬🇧
Post #606480 3rd Mar 2017 6:16pm
pme

the fuse supplied was a 40Amp, no markings on the holder, I'll try and put some pics up on sunday from home, my satellite internet here cant cope
the cable from the battery to the fuse holder is less than 1mm in diameter! The solder tinning on the fuse holder has gone and it looks like copper underneath
Post #606491 3rd Mar 2017 7:00pm
pme

boomslang melted fuse holder pics

Click image to enlarge

the main battery cable copper is less than 1mm diameter, the crimp looks a bit rubbish as well

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge
Post #606884 5th Mar 2017 12:17pm
custom90

United Kingdom 
That is the exact type for fuse holder I had the same with too on my old spotlight feed.
I don't like the fact the input and output exit is in the same proximity either.
With heat the insulation could melt touching the two feeds together bypassing the fuse altogether.
If this was the case it'd definitely lead to fire. Shocked

I now use fuse holders with horizontal exit and input feeds, and typically Durite if I can for good quality.

The Land Reziger loom ones are good and also splashproof too. Diesel$ Live$ Matter. ⛽️🛢️👨‍🔧🧰⚙️ RED, WHITE & BOOST! 🇬🇧

Last edited by custom90 on 13th Mar 2017 2:54pm. Edited 1 time in total
Post #606893 5th Mar 2017 1:04pm
Hazza

United Kingdom 1990 Defender 110 Td5 HT Bronze Green
I had exactly the same issues with a boomslang loom, it completely melted the fuse and holder leading to an interesting drive one night... 1990 Defender 110 200TDI Camper - now converted to Td5 power
Post #609135 13th Mar 2017 1:55pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Fos_landy

United Kingdom 2009 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 HT Keswick Green
Hi all, just had the LED light kit and Crystal headlamps delivered from LRISolutions - all well and good, however trying to fit the headlamps, the lamps rotate - seems my assembly is missing a part (not plug and play...).

The crystal lamps are Wipac and the existing assembly is Wipac part 1050743 (presume the original part).

Has anyone else had this issue? Thinking a simple fix is a full new WIPAC assembly - possibly:

http://www.paddockspares.com/s5400-headlam...crews.html

Currently sat blindly outside the garage looking very sorry for itself, so any help would be much appreciated Defender 90 Puma 2.4
Post #621592 4th May 2017 12:16pm
ARC99

United Kingdom 2008 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Cairns Blue
I tried to fit my Landreiziger loom today but failed due to a faulty relay, I needed to split the relay from the loom and ended up pulling the innards out of the dual case on both sides causing damage to innards, it appears that the plastic has not fused all round.so I'm having to replace the relays.

Now old age has crept up on me and I'm struggling to remember my knowledge of replays so have been searching and found that the relay supplied is a type B Photos below.

Which may explain why Custonsteve had to swap the cables on his new relays or not , I think I have confused myself after eight hours of trying to find replacements. Don't make old people mad.
We don't like being old in the first place,
so it doesn't take much to Censored us off.

Richard
Post #633773 26th Jun 2017 9:10pm
redline

Switzerland 
Gents - apologies for reviving an old thread, but probably the logical location to post rather than starting a new thread.

My 110 had a Boomslang harness fitted when I changed the headlights, and added some AUX lights. Unfortunately I did not do the installation. Whilst the workmanship is good, none of wiring/fuses/relays have been labelled. Its a bit of a pain because in addition to the lights, the vehicle was fitted with a dual battery system, an additional fuse box, and several "consumers" such as camping and rock lights, compressor, etc... It means that for a non-electrical person such as me, diagnosing any problems is complex, as I do not follow the logic with which the installation was done.

So - the problem at hand: The dip-beams on both headlights have stopped working, whilst high beam continues to work (flash and "always-on"). I plan to work through the probable causes:
--> Main fuse on the boomslang haness > bulbs > relays on the harness > on/off switch in cabin.

The problem is that as I did not do the installation, I am not quite sure where the relays and fuse have been located.

So, the question(s) I have are:
1. Can anyone say where along the loom (working backwards from the headlights) are these located? Is there an obvious location where they would be installed? I have a bank on 5 relays on the passenger side wing (LHD vehicle), but these seem to be for the AUX lights.
2. Does anyone have a wiring diagram of the harness? I checked the website (http://redbison.nl), but it seems to not be working properly, and can's access the "Manuals" section.

Many thanks for any inputs!
Post #730835 24th Sep 2018 11:08am
Theater

Italy 2009 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 SW Galway Green
redline wrote:

2. Does anyone have a wiring diagram of the harness? I checked the website (http://redbison.nl), but it seems to not be working properly, and can's access the "Manuals" section.

This is the wiring diagram of " Gegio " :

https://defendertricks.com/2012/03/01/solu...che-fonde/ Marco

Defender 110 "SW" SE Galway Green MY 2009
Ex Defender 90 "SW" S Santorini Black MY 2010
Post #730877 24th Sep 2018 3:10pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
MartinK

United Kingdom 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Orkney Grey
Quote:
Can anyone say where along the loom (working backwards from the headlights) are these located? Is there an obvious location where they would be installed? I have a bank on 5 relays on the passenger side wing (LHD vehicle), but these seem to be for the AUX lights.

My boomslang loom only has around 40cm of cable to connect to the original light circuit, and the "new" headlight connector. I would look next to the air filter, or the washer bottle depending which side they installed... Most seem to install the relays next to the washer bottle (nearside) apparently. You should be able to follow the thick wires back from the LH headlight

this may help

Click image to enlarge

Maybe check the in-line fuse as well (seen in pic just below the relays), as one fuse will be for full beam, and one for dip... Defender "Puma" 2.4 110 County Utility (possibly the last of the 2.4's)
Post #730878 24th Sep 2018 3:16pm
redline

Switzerland 
Thanks for all the feedback - very useful!

So I found the two relays - hidden behind the passenger side headlight - which needed to be removed to access them. A bit of a mindless location in my view, not least because they get some water. They didn't look great, but surprisingly they both worked when tested (at least the electro-magnetic coil).

The hunt continues for the fuse(s).

Click image to enlarge
Post #731070 25th Sep 2018 12:05pm
redline

Switzerland 
@MartinK - Is that a Red Bison Boomslang harness? Its not the same as mine - this looks like a cleverer system which uses the original loom as a trigger for the relays, whilst getting the power from the alternator. My harness (if I recall) essentially replaces the existing one.

Does anyone have a copy of the manual / installation instructions? Or even the e-mail of Red Bison?
Post #731071 25th Sep 2018 12:11pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 5 of 6 <123456>