Home > Puma (Tdci) > Central silencer replacement
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
CyberCharlie

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Java Black
Central silencer replacement
Hi all,

so on my old Td5 90 i had replaced the central silencer with a direct pipe. Better sound, better fuel efficiency (although the improvement was minimal, better engine response. I am planning to do the same on the 110 Puma. Now the question: i can find plenty of pipes for the 90 but none for the 110; does anyone know where i can get hold of one?

Thanks Smile
Post #71046 15th May 2011 8:28pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
CRJ

Denmark 1991 Defender 90 200 Tdi ST Alpine White
I have been looking on buying one from Alive tuning they have for the 110 as well. How much noise does it make? I fear that my defender will sound to much like a Scania with turbo whistle and all?
Regards
CRJ 88 Ser. 3 1980 -sold
Puma 130 - 08- sold
90 200tdi 1991 - sold
88 Ser. 3 1977 200 TDI
110 CC 2003
Post #71047 15th May 2011 8:33pm
CyberCharlie

No no don't worry for the noise. You can feel it only at high RPM, when idle or driving slow it does not make a difference. Of course the final silencer must e in place Smile
Post #71049 15th May 2011 8:35pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Alive Tuning

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Havana
As stated, we always keep these in stock. Very Happy

If your car still has it's catalyst fitted, there will only be a negligable increase in exhaust noise, and turbo whistle. Fit a decat pipe as well, and then it'll bark!

Trouble is, it sounds like a 300Tdi. Big Cry
Post #71090 15th May 2011 11:27pm
CyberCharlie

QQ guys: will i fail the MOT if i replace the central silencer?
Post #72912 26th May 2011 4:05pm
fekete

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 HT Bonatti Grey
Mine as just passed with the Alive d/cat and midbox pips on Thumbs Up NEVER TAKE LIFE SERIOUSLY. NOBODY GETS OUT ALIVE ANYWAY
Post #72914 26th May 2011 4:17pm
Alive Tuning

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Havana
CyberCharlie wrote:
QQ guys: will i fail the MOT if i replace the central silencer?

Absolutely not. Smile

Just a note, the mid pipe on it's own will make a negligable difference to performance. Bit of a placebo power gain! Laughing

It's the cat pipe that makes the real difference. Replace this, and the gains are obvious, and that's with leaving the rest of the exhaust system in stock form.

Standard cat pipe, with mid box replacement = Only slightly noisier than standard system. Negligable performance gain.
Decat with standard exhaust system = Negligable increase in exhaust noise, and turbo more audible, with Improved engine response.
Decat with mid box replacement = Significant increase in exhaust noise, and lots of turbo whistle at low rpms, with much improved engine response.
Post #72993 26th May 2011 11:26pm
BIGFOG

United Kingdom 2009 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Stornoway Grey
Mid pipe replacement on it's own is a waste of time and money if you are expecting any appreciable gain in performance, economy or exhaust note, there really is very little difference.

I did it to mine and wondered why I had bothered! Big Cry

Have since put a full SS Decat system from Twisted which is basically straight through all the way and it does sound a lot different Laughing , but had initial issues with power delivery until Pete at BAS put me right Bow down
Post #72996 26th May 2011 11:42pm
CyberCharlie

Guys,
i know that the performance improvement is absolutely minimal or close to nothing. I am only looking to remove the bulky silencer that keeps scratching when i go offroading and do steep bumps Smile

No really... i did this mod on my previous Def and kinda liked it. The sound is more bold at high RPM and looking under the car it looks more tidy. Just this!

I will now be out of country for 10-ish days or so, but when i'm back it will be on my to do list.

I know that removing the cat pipe is the key to performance but i still have some environmental concerns, so i think i will postpone it.

Ciao Smile
Post #73046 27th May 2011 11:36am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Post Reply
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1