↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Camping, Caravanning and Holidays > ARB deluxe awning room
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
mrandmrsh

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Santorini Black
ARB deluxe awning room
Horses for courses. I have a twin axle caravan I never use because I just can’t be arsed to use.

A couple or years ago I bought an oztent RV4 (with extension and flysheet which is essential but different story). The oztent is great because it’s free standing so you can use the car and it has loads of space. They are a big lumpy thing to move around though. I have suspended mine from the roof inside the 110 corner to corner or stored it on the roof rack.

This weekend however I’ve gone for a different option. I’m feeling absolutely Censored . Got a chest infection or something, struggling to breathe and energy levels are low. Steroids, antibiotics, inhaler all prescribed this week. It’s also Bingley festival which is an annual event we really love.

So, not at all looking forwards to humping the oztent about or sleep in the back of the defender struggling in and out (which is what I normally do here) and not willing to miss the festival I started to look at the awning room that literally clips under my ARB awning.

£220 later and the lovely flatdog folks had provided the necessary.

After one night sleeping in it I have to say it’s just perfect for a quick put up, sleep and not move the car type event. It’s no where near oztent heavy or quality but looks well put together. Got 2 cheap woven ground sheets, one under the awning and one in it, double camp bed and self inflating mattress, pillows from home and quilt on top for extra heat and I was snug as a bug.

Putting it up involves taking it out of the bag, sliding one end onto the awning frame using the same approach as a caravan awning and the the same at the other end of the extended awning. Five clips into the side bars and 8 or so pegs and it’s up.

If you’ve got the awning and fancy an 8’ square room it’s superb.

Cheers all
Craig

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

[/b] 2015 110 USW XS in Santorini with premium contrast leather seats in tan/black, black headlining and with Dual Finish alloys (in the garage, now on Wolf rims with Goodyear MT/Rs)

2012 '62' 2.2 X-Tech 110 USW now gone ...
1984 90 soft top with full roll cage, 200 tdi engine etc now sold
2012 USW XS 2.2 "FUU" now gone....
Post #726595 1st Sep 2018 8:52am
Bluest

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Java Black
Agreed, they are great if you don’t need to move the car. I have the non deluxe version and slept in it every night for three weeks in Spain and Morocco. I found it a lot quicker to put up and take down than a tent. My only concern was how it would handle rain and wind. Would water either pool on the awning, or get between the awning and the room and pool on the ceiling? It never rained so didn’t find out. 2007 110 TDCi Station Wagon XS
Post #726598 1st Sep 2018 8:59am
Grenadier

France 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Corris Grey
Who's learning to drive in your Def? How lucky are they? Well done you for letting them start their years of driving in a real car. Proper Dad Thumbs Up

Click image to enlarge
 Monsieur Le Grenadier

I've not been everywhere, but it's on my list.....

2011 Puma 110DC - Corris Grey
Post #726602 1st Sep 2018 9:39am
mrandmrsh

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Santorini Black
The other half is learning to drive. May as well get her driving properly from the start Smile

I’ve used the awning only in heavy rain and it definitely needs a corner dropping. It’s definitely a light to medium duty job but so quick and easy.

👍 2015 110 USW XS in Santorini with premium contrast leather seats in tan/black, black headlining and with Dual Finish alloys (in the garage, now on Wolf rims with Goodyear MT/Rs)

2012 '62' 2.2 X-Tech 110 USW now gone ...
1984 90 soft top with full roll cage, 200 tdi engine etc now sold
2012 USW XS 2.2 "FUU" now gone....
Post #726612 1st Sep 2018 10:32am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1