↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Puma (Tdci) > Retrofitting a heated windscreen
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
blackwolf

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Stornoway Grey
Retrofitting a heated windscreen
Can anyone who has successfully retro-fitted a heated windscreen into their Puma Defender advise me of the best way to make the connection for the "engine running" signal on the back of the instrument pack?

I know that it is pin 14 on connector c1040 on the rear of the instrument panel, but I assume that there is no insert fitted in the connector shell in that position on vehicles with a non-heated screen. Is it possible to get suitable contacts to insert in to the connector shell?

I have just collected a huge stone chip on my (non-heated) screen and thought I would upgrade to a heated one when I get it replaced.

Many thanks.

Incidentally, it has taken me about three hours to get this post to work, since every time I tried I got an "Internal Server Error" message. I tried three different PCs with different OS and browsers in case there was a problem there (made no difference). Then I tried replying to an existing post (that was fine), and eventually I have found that the problem is caused if I omit the space between "in" and "to" after the "insert" in the second paragraph. I presume that this is a security feature since these two words used in that sequence are SQL keywords used in in database management. It certainly kept me busy for hours though!
Post #71824 20th May 2011 5:33pm
dgardel

Italy 
Re: Retrofitting a heated windscreen
blackwolf wrote:
Can anyone who has successfully retro-fitted a heated windscreen into their Puma Defender advise me of the best way to make the connection for the "engine running" signal on the back of the instrument pack?

I know that it is pin 14 on connector c1040 on the rear of the instrument panel, but I assume that there is no insert fitted in the connector shell in that position on vehicles with a non-heated screen. Is it possible to get suitable contacts to insert in to the connector shell?

ME!!

I taken the signal from C1040-pin 14 and I replicate exactly the original Land Rover electrical scheme.

I looked for a female pin "similar" to the original and inserted it on the C1040 connector. It is easy to disassembly and easy to fix in position the pin also.

Tomorrow I'll send you a copy of "my studies" if you PM your email. Discovery 5 td6 HSE Stornoway Gray Outback Engineering Limited Edition

IID Pro MV License

Last edited by dgardel on 20th May 2011 8:40pm. Edited 1 time in total
Post #71845 20th May 2011 7:01pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
dgardel

Italy 
Link upgraded
my studies

Instrument Cluster  Discovery 5 td6 HSE Stornoway Gray Outback Engineering Limited Edition

IID Pro MV License

Last edited by dgardel on 21st May 2011 12:06am. Edited 1 time in total
Post #71862 20th May 2011 8:39pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
PaulMc

United Kingdom 1989 Defender 110 2.5 TD HT Arles Blue
Re: Retrofitting a heated windscreen
blackwolf wrote:

The connector is from the Tyco/AMP MQS family.

Land Rover don't supply terminals or connectors separately (dealer's workshops can get some connector shells and some terminals, crimped to 'repair wires', through SPX, but they're silly money)

However, VAG and BMW use these MQS connectors extensively and they DO supply spare terminals and/or 'repair wires', which are a short length of wire with a terminal crimped-on at either end.

The terminals you're looking for can be sourced from a VAG (Volkswagen, Audi, Seat, Skoda) dealer as a -

Terminal -

N 907 647 01 (sometimes referenced as - N90764701)

Click image to enlarge

or a Repair Wire -

000 979 009 - which is a length of 0.5 mm˛ cable, with a N 907 647 01 terminal crimped on to each end

Click image to enlarge

. Paul.
1989 Arles Blue 2.5TD 110 Hardtop
1999 Epsom Green Discovery II 4.0 V8i 'XS'
Post #71870 20th May 2011 9:37pm
blackwolf

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Stornoway Grey
Fantastic! Thank you both very much. Once again the collected knowledge of this forum comes up trumps.

Has anyone fitted their own glass? It looks quite straightforward but is it better to get a "professional" to do it?

Where is the best place in the UK to buy a heated screen - or does anyone here have one for sale?
Post #71889 20th May 2011 10:37pm
toshers

Scotland 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Orkney Grey
You can get them from HERE
Post #71900 20th May 2011 11:53pm
dgardel

Italy 
blackwolf wrote:
Fantastic! Thank you both very much. Once again the collected knowledge of this forum comes up trumps.

Has anyone fitted their own glass? It looks quite straightforward but is it better to get a "professional" to do it?

Where is the best place in the UK to buy a heated screen - or does anyone here have one for sale?

Blackwolf

posted wrong link, here the correct

my studies

Instrument Cluster  Discovery 5 td6 HSE Stornoway Gray Outback Engineering Limited Edition

IID Pro MV License
Post #71907 21st May 2011 12:07am
Martin
Site Admin

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Montalcino Red
I can supply the MQS wires through the site shop - http://www.disco3.co.uk/shop/index.php?act...oductId=37  1988 90 Td5 NAS soft top
2015 D90 XS SW
Post #72443 24th May 2011 10:22am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Post Reply
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1