↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Maintenance & Modifications > Noisekiller
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 2 <12
Print this entire topic · 
BIGFOG

United Kingdom 2009 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Stornoway Grey
szracer wrote:
OK - Maybe being a little harsh on theTGE panels.

However, they do keep falling off on mine. Maybe I fixed them wrongly?

Are they supposed to sit under the plastic trim at all?

BIGFOG wrote:
I have the TGE panels in my 110USW and they have never fallen off and blend in very well with the rear. I think they were about £100 for the set, 2 side panels, each made out of two pieces with a plastic finisher to go over the box section in the middle of the panel and two small panels to cover the rear quarter lights. I was very pleased...

Yes I had to give the panels quite a whack to get them to ping under the panels, but when they go they give a fairly obvious click and don't move again, I did the offroad course at Peterborough 4 times and they didn't budge at any point...
Post #45733 18th Nov 2010 9:54pm
BIGFOG

United Kingdom 2009 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Stornoway Grey
szracer wrote:
OK - Maybe being a little harsh on theTGE panels.

However, they do keep falling off on mine. Maybe I fixed them wrongly?

Are they supposed to sit under the plastic trim at all?

BIGFOG wrote:
I have the TGE panels in my 110USW and they have never fallen off and blend in very well with the rear. I think they were about £100 for the set, 2 side panels, each made out of two pieces with a plastic finisher to go over the box section in the middle of the panel and two small panels to cover the rear quarter lights. I was very pleased...

Yes I had to give the panels quite a whack to get them to ping under the panels, but when they go they give a fairly obvious click and don't move again, I did the offroad course at Peterborough 4 times and they didn't budge at any point...
Post #45734 18th Nov 2010 9:54pm
kzycnn

United Kingdom 2003 Defender 110 Td5 XS CSW Oslo Blue
Any of you guys with the noisekiller kit had problem with the glue? I have a full kit fitted to my Defender and the rear side panels just won't stick meaning their usefulness is reduced.

Also had the underbonnet kit but, again, the standard glue wouldn't hold that at all. Refitted with a strong impact adhesive which is useless at high temperatures - the whole thing became a horrible gloopy mess when engine temparatures were combined with desert tempartaures in Morocco earlier this year. This has now been confined to the garage!

I put mine behind my ms stuff rather than on top of it. This has meant that part of the floor matting has been compressed which may also have reduced it's effectiveness.

Overall, my impression isn't good.

Tony
Post #45776 19th Nov 2010 1:49pm
bob neville

Spain 2001 Defender 90 Td5 SW Epsom Green
Tony

I have had no problems with the adhesive on my kit.

I was a bit worried that the panels may drop off but before I fitted the kit I contacted Noisekiller and asked what prep was needed.

They told me to clean all panel contact areas with a good quality white spirit, which I did twice, and to make sure I used a roller to ensure good contact. I used a small wallpaper edge roller and everything has stayed in place - been on the vehicle for over 7 months now.

Bob
Post #45794 19th Nov 2010 5:55pm
pouf

Greece 2009 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 SW Zermatt Silver
and what about water?????? does dif become waterproof or if you get in the water then you have a real problem?
tnks www.newfoundland.gr
Post #45797 19th Nov 2010 6:47pm
bob neville

pouf wrote:
and what about water?????? does dif become waterproof or if you get in the water then you have a real problem?
tnks

Only areas that have got wet are the bits on the floor. These are not stuck down so I just take them out and let them dry.

Under bonnet stuff has never been a problem - it is covered in a metal foil.

Bob
Post #45827 20th Nov 2010 9:44am
landy andy

2006 Defender 110 Td5 USW Zermatt Silver
Sucks up the water like a sponge and is a Censored to dry, but as above, it is only the floor matts that get wet and they are easily removed.

Andy
Post #45832 20th Nov 2010 10:46am
pouf

Greece 2009 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 SW Zermatt Silver
that's what i mean, about floor!
after off roading we use to wash Casi and engine, and of course after wash we have put all carpets out of def Laughing Laughing to make them dry again,so in this case we have to put out AND the noisekiller?
mmm, easy to say........... www.newfoundland.gr
Post #45843 20th Nov 2010 3:46pm
szracer

England 2010 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Stornoway Grey
The noisekiller mats just lift out. IF you have rubber or carpet already, just one more layer to lift out. 
2010 110 XS USW (the slow one)
1960 Alfa Romeo Giulietta SZ (the fast one)
2005 Ducati ST3
1954 Sunbeam S8
Post #45846 20th Nov 2010 4:24pm
kzycnn

United Kingdom 2003 Defender 110 Td5 XS CSW Oslo Blue
I can confirm that. I have a water leak problem at the moment (even without wading!) and my front passenger floor mat gets quite wet. I just lift it out along with the carpet and dry them both. Must really get around to replacing the door seal on that side which is where I think the water is getting in. It's on the list....

Bob, to go back to the adhesive on the noisekiller stuff, I fitted mine in exactly the same way - it was cold though, did it about a year ago so it was winter temperatures. Anyway, neither side in the back have stuck. Where the mat had to follow the contours it just came unstuck with the mat wanting to become straight. The mat won... Thinking of stripping it all out (when it gets a bit warmer!) and refitting it. Not a job I'm looking forward to as the back is full of ms boxes.

Tony
Post #45968 22nd Nov 2010 4:21pm
AndrewS

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 130 Puma 2.2 SW Rimini Red
I got a couple of boxes of this stuff for J-Lo. Not cut to shape but thats easy enough. Its stuck to the underside of the roof (had to remove the roof trim), inside the doors and engine side of the bulk head.

http://www.acoustafoam.com/eshop.php?produ...604f19de41 130's have feeling's as well you know Smile
Post #45970 22nd Nov 2010 5:03pm
bob neville

kzycnn wrote:
I can confirm that. I have a water leak problem at the moment (even without wading!) and my front passenger floor mat gets quite wet. I just lift it out along with the carpet and dry them both. Must really get around to replacing the door seal on that side which is where I think the water is getting in. It's on the list....

Bob, to go back to the adhesive on the noisekiller stuff, I fitted mine in exactly the same way - it was cold though, did it about a year ago so it was winter temperatures. Anyway, neither side in the back have stuck. Where the mat had to follow the contours it just came unstuck with the mat wanting to become straight. The mat won... Thinking of stripping it all out (when it gets a bit warmer!) and refitting it. Not a job I'm looking forward to as the back is full of ms boxes.

Tony

Tony

I can only think it was the temperature when you fitted yours that was the problem. I waited until April to fit mine when it was warmer. There are a couple of complex bits in the back of my double cab and these have remained stuck like the proverbial to a blanket Thumbs Up

Good luck with the refit.

Bob
Post #45979 22nd Nov 2010 7:49pm
AlpenAndes

Austria 2010 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 SW Belize Green
After passing through gravel roads and motorways every day to get to work here behind the Andes I got tired of hearing stones flying through the back of my car. Defenders arrive here only with a thin plastic sheets over the metal, that there would be also a carpet was new for the sales guy of the importer and would have ment six months waiting. After one year I am still waiting for the quotation. First I installed the heavy, ready cut sheets from http://www.noisekiller.co.uk/landrover_soundproofing_products.asp and put their egg box foam in the seat boxes as it was too thick to fit underneath the roof, after that the stones were no more problem. The sheets for the doors did not make a difference. Making a phone call above 80kmh was still a problem but the noise level was already a lot better. From my next trip home to Austria I brought the 10mm vlies rather inexpensive from http://www.automobile-daemmstoffe.de/pages/innenraumdaemmung.php to fit it into the five doors and between the roof and the ceiling. Making a phone call at 100kmh is no problem at all, on gravel it is sound and the doors sound like real doors instead of metal cans. From the upcoming trip I will bring some more vlies for the bulkhead and on the floor above the heave sheets, that shall be enough to achieve a decent noise level in the car. If I would have to do it again I would try first the vlies because a lot cheaper.
Post #71916 21st May 2011 3:46am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 2 <12