↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Expedition & Overland > Military roads around or near the North Coast 500
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
big ives

United Kingdom 
Military roads around or near the North Coast 500
Driving the NC500 in July this year, and looking on the good old internet I see several General Wades military roads but the maps are not clear.

For example one road runs from Fort Augustus to Fort William.
Another Fort Augustus to Inverness.
And finally Inverness to Dunkeld via several other small towns.

So my questions are:-
a) Is there any maps that actually show me where I join these roads?
b) Are they still drive able in my defender?
c) Not looking for extreme runs as will have the wife with me, just something different?
d) anyone have experience driving these routes or similar?
d) And absolutely no intention of destroying the landscape (not really a question)

any help comments or suggestion greatly appreciated.

Thank you 2016 Discovery 4
1989 90 CSW V8 (fully rebuilt and running like a dream)
1996 defender tray back fully rebuilt/loaded for challenge events
Post #705360 5th May 2018 5:15am
Retroanaconda

Scotland 
You know it’s almost certainly not legal to drive them right?
Post #705379 5th May 2018 7:06am
donmacn

The strange reality is that lots of us are using these roads on a daily basis - including old bridges and embankments that are a couple of hundred years old. They've just been tarred and used for modern traffic. Most folk won't even know their origins. Some of them will follow routes even older, natural ways through the hills. The Generals just improved the alignments and bridges.

If you look at the post-Jacobite garrisons that were built: Fort William, Fort Augustus, Fort George, Ruthven (Kingussie) and Bernera (Glenelg) and the roads that link them, most of these will still be in use.

I think much of what hasn't been adopted into the modern era will be in a fairly poor state. For example there's a stretch between Daviot and Inverness - the 'Old Edinburgh Road' - it runs through/alongside a forestry plantation. This is barely a dog walkers track. You can see that it was once something more substantial, but that's long gone now.

And Retro is right - the new Scottish Access Code only applies to unpowered transport (bike, canoe, Shanks' pony) anything else on private land isn't allowed in a vehicle. Donald

1994 Defender 300Tdi 110 SW - owned since 2002 - 230k miles and going strong
(The 'rolling restoration' or tinkering thread: http://www.defender2.net/forum/topic58538.html )
2000 Range Rover P38 4.0L V8

in the past..
RR classic - fitted with 200Tdi
1984 RR classic - V8 with ZF auto box
1993 Discovery 300Tdi

not to mention the minis and the Type 2 VW camper...
Post #705388 5th May 2018 7:52am
big ives

United Kingdom 
Retroanaconda wrote:
You know it’s almost certainly not legal to drive them right?

NO i didn't hence the reason for me asking questions on the site, and to be honest i couldn't find this info online.

I certainly DON'T drive illegally in Northern Ireland my own country so i certainly would NOT be doing it in Scotland.

that is what i get for being bored at work here in Malaysia Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter

anyway home next week SO thank you all for the answers, will just have to do with driving at the Mayhem on the 19/20 May Thumbs Up Thumbs Up Thumbs Up 2016 Discovery 4
Post #705405 5th May 2018 9:17am
Maxxed_Ross

Scotland 2001 Defender 90 Td5 CSW Cobar Blue
Old Military Road runs from just north of Perth to Nairn on the Moray coast... all surfaced but very quiet and some of it very very narrow and twisty Thumbs Up

I do that road most summers, some epic scenery and it misses out the average speed camera ridden A9 totally 2013 Discovery 4 HSE Lux | 2001 Defender 90 TD5 | 2007 Prodrive RB320
Post #705510 5th May 2018 6:31pm
big ives

United Kingdom 
Ross
The old road to Nairn where do I join this, bearing in mind I will be coming up from the boat via Glasgow then on up to Perth, Is the old military road part of the A93 to Blairgowrie passing close to Braemore and Balmoral up to Graton on Spey on the A939 then on to Nairn? Or am I in the completely wrong direction?

Cheers Ivan 2016 Discovery 4
Post #705582 6th May 2018 6:03am
legin

United Kingdom 2012 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 HT Santorini Black
I did the NC500 a couple of years ago there are loads of nice roads that feel like tracks ,grass growing in the middle of the road and over grown foliage on the sides, hair pin bends and very narrow opening up to suburb views ,you don't really need to go off road.Look for some of the small ferry's , Cormarty to Nigg if it's running ! if not it's a great drive around the Black Isle take the B9169 back,It took my wife and me two weeks .We started at Berwick and ended at Oban ,on the way up from Essex we stopped over at Barnard Castle for two nights and one night on the way back.You will enjoy it.
Post #705588 6th May 2018 7:23am
donmacn

big ives wrote:
Ross
The old road to Nairn where do I join this, bearing in mind I will be coming up from the boat via Glasgow then on up to Perth, Is the old military road part of the A93 to Blairgowrie passing close to Braemore and Balmoral up to Graton on Spey on the A939 then on to Nairn? Or am I in the completely wrong direction?

Cheers Ivan

Hopefully Ross will come back himself, but that sounds about right to me. Some stretches of this are high, moorland roads - nice and exposed, and good scenery. Definitely a bit of a "long cut" though on the way from Perth to Inverness.

I have driven the A9 countless times, and often am in the mood just to get off the 'rat run', so an alternative for you, if coming north from Glasgow to Inverness is to follow the A9 to just past Dunblane, then head over the hills. You can join the dots, but the route runs: Greenloaning - Crieff - Amulree - Aberfeldy - Tummel Bridge - Trinafour - Dalnamein. Again, lots of scenery on this - twisty, windy and a fun drive. Just an note - some sections of this, Tummel Bridge to Aberfeldy I think, will be closed on one particular Sunday in late May or early June for a cycle event. The Tayside Etape or something like that

At the end of this you're back on the A9 through Drumochter, but you can leave again at Dalwhinnie, heading for Laggan - Newtonmore - Kingussie - Aviemore - Carrbridge - Nairn.

Because this cuts out the A9 from Dunblane to Perth, and then the stretch from Perth to Drumochter, you're not really adding that much time to your journey. Donald

1994 Defender 300Tdi 110 SW - owned since 2002 - 230k miles and going strong
(The 'rolling restoration' or tinkering thread: http://www.defender2.net/forum/topic58538.html )
2000 Range Rover P38 4.0L V8

in the past..
RR classic - fitted with 200Tdi
1984 RR classic - V8 with ZF auto box
1993 Discovery 300Tdi

not to mention the minis and the Type 2 VW camper...
Post #705601 6th May 2018 8:57am
big ives

United Kingdom 
Donald

yes i have driven the A9 many times when i worked in Invergordon.

the description of your route i fully understand and i kind of know some of it having been to Aberfeldy a few times at Griffin forest when the offroad event was ran there.

i am looking forward to doing the NC 500, all booked all ready to go SO ALL the information given on minor routes is appreciated and many thanks to everyone.

The run from Perth to Nairn looks the most promising as i am over nighting in Inverness and me and her have all the time in the world to get to Inverness from the ferry via Glasgow

again thanks to all.................cheers Ivan 2016 Discovery 4
Post #705610 6th May 2018 10:11am
Maxxed_Ross

Hopefully this will make sense:

Take the M90 to Perth as normal
Cross the Friarton Bridge and take the junction immediately after it (J11)
Head back towards Perth on the A85
Continue on this road until it leaves Perth and becomes the A93 towards Scone & Lethendy
Continue through Blairgowrie still on A93 towards Bridge of Cally
Eventually you'll end up at Glenshee Ski Centre
Continute on towards Balmoral Castle
Just after the Castle there is a sharp left that doubles back slightly leading up hill onto the B976 towards Braenaloin
Bear left in Gairnshiel to join the A939 and over the hump back bridge
Follow towards Colnabaichin
Just before Colnabaichin turn left to stay on the A939 towards Lecht Ski Centre
End up in Tomintoul - head right on B9008 if you want to do the Glenlivet Distillery tour
Stay on A939 towards Bridge of Brown if you don't
Eventually you'll end up in Grantown-on-Spey

Two options here:

Continue north on A939 towards Nairn - but only if you specifically want to see Nairn. This is a main road so fairly busy and boring

Head south west on A95 towards Carrbridge via Duthill on the A938 and then join the A9 towards Inverness

I've done this route a few times now and it is epic. Once you get north of Glenshee the roads are totally empty too Very Happy 2013 Discovery 4 HSE Lux | 2001 Defender 90 TD5 | 2007 Prodrive RB320
Post #705684 6th May 2018 8:07pm
big ives

United Kingdom 
Ross

thank you Bow down Bow down Bow down Bow down

very clear, and i will be taking this route, again thank you for everyone's time in replying

cheers Ivan 2016 Discovery 4
Post #705714 7th May 2018 2:59am
Maxxed_Ross

No problem at all

If you want an interesting return route:

Head out of Inverness on the A82 towards Fort Augustus (keep your eyes peeled for Nessie)
Continue into Spean Bridge and then turn right to continue south on the A82 towards Fort William
Follow the A82 until you cross the bridge at North Ballachulish
At the roundabout sharp left to head back under the bridge on the A828 towards Oban
Follow until you cross the Connel Bridge
Turn right back under the bridge on the A85 towards Taynuilt
Follow the banks of Loch Awe to the Cruachan Visitor Centre on the right (well worth a tour into the Hollow Mountain)
Back on the A85 towards Kilchurn Castle
After the Castle turn right onto the A819 towards Cladich
Don't take the turn off for Cladich, continue on the A819 south towards Inveraray
Once in Inveraray head north on the A83 towards Ardgenavan
Loop around the top of the bay and back south towards Cairndow
Just after the bend take the A815 south towards Dunoon
A few miles along turn left onto the B839 towards Lochgoilhead
After the downhill switch back bear right at the Y junction onto the B828 towards Glasgow
At the end of the road take the A83 towards Glasgow
In Arrochar bear right onto the A814 towards Helensburgh
Follow all the way to the roundabout, take the first right to stay on the B814 towards Helensburgh
Next roundabout turn right onto A817 towards Balloch
Follow until you meet the A82 down the side of Loch Lomond

Some of the best coastal roads on offer Thumbs Up 2013 Discovery 4 HSE Lux | 2001 Defender 90 TD5 | 2007 Prodrive RB320
Post #705715 7th May 2018 3:56am
big ives

United Kingdom 
Maxxed_ross

Drove the route today from Perth to Inverness as per your earlier instructions what a drive absolutely breath taking. The weather was very warm which made it a prefect drive.
The V8 drove like a dream and then some idiot passed me in one of those super sports car some foreign piece of crap he was doing the ton at least.

Even my wife enjoyed the run Thumbs Up

Sitting now in Inverness having a beer start the NC 500 in the morning.

Big thank you Bow down Bow down Bow down

Cheers big ives 2016 Discovery 4
Post #718596 19th Jul 2018 4:31pm
Maxxed_Ross

glad you enjoyed it Thumbs Up 2013 Discovery 4 HSE Lux | 2001 Defender 90 TD5 | 2007 Prodrive RB320
Post #719097 22nd Jul 2018 2:09pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1