↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Expedition & Overland > Pyrenees
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 2 <12
Print this entire topic · 
VillageThing

United Kingdom 2004 Defender 110 2.5 TD HT Blenheim Silver
I’ve been to the Pyrenees twice and to the French Alps twice. On all occasions I have used the app ViewRanger. The app itself is free and you can download various different maps for off-line use.

The maps I use are ‘open cycle maps’. They give really good detail of the mountain tracks. They are free and can be downloaded direct from the app. I also take with me aerial photographic views of the same area. These are also available for free download within ViewRanger.

View Ranger also has a good selection of routes that you can download. Most of them are free but some people charge a nominal amount to download these routes. This is in a form of “credit“ system, where you buy credits online and spend them on routes.
Post #716738 8th Jul 2018 4:03pm
8619simon

Wales 1995 Defender 110 300 Tdi CSW Epsom Green
We are also heading off to Pyrenees in August, I have the Vibraction book, Road Book 5 with the gpx file. The route looks great but would appreciate any other routes or suggestions from those that have been. Is the smugglers track from Andora into Spain worth doing?

Going with the family so ideally looking to drive tracks for a day to a destination and stop for two nights to walk / bike then another day on tracks etc. Working our way East to West. If any one has suggestions of locations to visit etc much appreciated.

Thanks

Simon
Post #716811 8th Jul 2018 10:56pm
VillageThing

United Kingdom 2004 Defender 110 2.5 TD HT Blenheim Silver
Well Simon, I hope you have a good time.

I'd recommend a few places:-

Andorra La Vella - Capital of Andorra. Tax free shopping trip. Go even if you only fill up with fuel and buy a nice bottle of Scotch.

Pas de La Casa - a short track behind the town ascending to 2618m ASL - the highest drivable track (that I could find).

Track to a Smugglers Tunnel. Follow the track up from El Serrat in a NW direction. The tunnel has wire mesh over the entrance but there's not much left. Take a torch and wellies to see some amazing ice stalactites. When you're bored with the tunnel, continue up the track (yes, it says no vehicles) Get to the top via the incredible steep final section of this track (low box, first gear and loads of revs) to find a delightful cafe/restaurant with a very friendly owner (who drives a Toyota - nobody is perfect).

Visit the abandoned village of Janovas. The Spanish Government evacuated this village to build a dam but the dam never went ahead - only some preliminary works. The military shelled the village to prevent the residents from returning. There was one property being renovated when I was last there in 2014.

Embalse del Llauset - a lake with a huge dam. To build the dam, the construction company built a long tunnel through the mountain to get the lorries in and out. The tunnel remains open to the public. From the N-130 road take the track through Aneto. It's quite a trip to get there but well worth it.

On the way out Visit Canfranc Railway station. Built in Victorian times to welcome rich skiers from Paris. Abandoned but being renovated. Explore the rail yard behind the station.

They're a bit out of order...

Canfrac railway station

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Embalse del Llauset

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Janovas - The only part of the dam to be built

Click image to enlarge

Janovas village

Click image to enlarge

The restaurant at the ski lift

Click image to enlarge

The VERY steep bit

Click image to enlarge

Inside the tunnel

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Highest Track near Pas de la Casa

Click image to enlarge
Post #716925 9th Jul 2018 7:35pm
languedoc

Scotland 2008 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 CSW Alaska White
I’m ashamed to admit that I live 45 minutes from Pas and never knew that was there!
Post #716935 9th Jul 2018 8:04pm
Grenadier

France 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Corris Grey
Cracking photos and info VillageThing, definitely makes me want to visit. And the French certainly knew how to build train stations. Thumbs Up Monsieur Le Grenadier

I've not been everywhere, but it's on my list.....

2011 Puma 110DC - Corris Grey
Post #716969 10th Jul 2018 5:11am
8619simon

Wales 1995 Defender 110 300 Tdi CSW Epsom Green
Village thing...Thank you for so many ideas, photos are great! Counting the days now and really looking forward to the adventure. We're staying in Font-romeu to start so the Andorra start is ideal. Thumbs Up
Post #716977 10th Jul 2018 6:26am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 2 <12