↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Camping, Caravanning and Holidays > Going all the way to Essex
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 4 1234>
Print this entire topic · 
legin

United Kingdom 2012 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 HT Santorini Black
Going all the way to Essex
Living in Essex we get some bad press so I thought I would put forward a case for the place .The Mrs ,me and Max our poodle went to St Osyth to stay in a pod ,now St Osyth is near a place called Jaywick which is not a place to leave a nice Land Rover or even a MOT failed Mondeo ! With this in mind we set off from our little haven of Chelmsford ,breakfast was in Maldon in one of the Tiptree tea rooms over looking the River Blackwater with Osea island just in view , The entire island is owned by Nigel Frieda, a music producer and is a very poplar holiday hide away.After scrambled eggs on toast and coffee and a walk along the sea wall back to the 90 for the long drive to the other end of Essex ,now I say a long drive but Essex has the longest coast line in England because there are a lot of inlets ,rivers and marshes so from Maldon it's back in land to Colchester along some very nice lanes before coming to Abbertton Reservoir a very large expanse of water and brimming with wildlife ,we parked up for while and took in the fresh air and calmness

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Back on to the road and into Colchester,Colchester is Britain's oldest recorded town, with a colourful history dating back over two thousand years and a lovely castle which we had visited a few years ago and really ejoyed,my wife pointed out the shopping is very good too.Now back to our drive and the longest part about 10 miles mostly on the B1027 not to much traffic so could push the 90 into a few bends but with the temperature hitting over 28 both windows open and we are at a nice steady 50mph this was more about ejoying the view even though it's very flat ,looking out across the fields to the estuary and then the North Sea with sun glinting off of the tips of waves you could have been any where in the world, but we are not Jaywick is just around the corner and I think I can hear the locals getting excited by the new meat coming down the road ,just as we pull in to St Osyth the sat nav turns me right ,then another then a sharp left we on a road to no where ,the instructions tells us three paddocks along look for the signs for the Purple Pod ,there my wife shouts,though a five bar gate stands the Pod.

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

What a lovely unover looked spot ,a wood burning hot tub to the rear ,BBQ and a log burnner are set on a wide curveing deck parking for the 90 behind the five bar gate and in view of the decking and garden just how I like it,any way three hours to heat the hot tub just time for a bottle of wine ,we have gone with just the one make but three bottles so Tesco Finest Chablis it travels well even in a Land Rover !

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge
Post #715057 28th Jun 2018 7:56pm
JOW240725

United Kingdom 2012 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Orkney Grey
Well, I'm not sure what to say. Pod looks lovely! James
MY2012 110 2.2TDCi XS SW Orkney Grey - http://www.defender2.net/forum/topic43410.html
MY1990 110 200TDi SW beautifully faded Portofino Red - https://www.defender2.net/forum/post743641.html#743641
MY1984 90 V8 Slate Grey - https://www.defender2.net/forum/post744557.html#744557
Instagram @suffolk_rovers
Post #715061 28th Jun 2018 8:12pm
leeds

United Kingdom 
Well I never knew that Essex had the longest county coastline in the UK, at a guess I would have said Cornwall.

Now with that information plus the photographs (minus the last one Razz which is better of being deleted Rolling with laughter sorry) Essex has gone up slightly in my estimation Razz

Brendan
Post #715062 28th Jun 2018 8:13pm
williamthedog

2011 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 PU Tamar Blue
You've got the perfect weather to enjoy it Thumbs Up
Post #715064 28th Jun 2018 8:18pm
Sulisuli

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 HT Corris Grey
Leeds you are correct Cornwall has the longest coastline of any county in the U.K. Thumbs Up

https://www.ordnancesurvey.co.uk/blog/2017...coastline/ 2015 HT XS 90
2008 SVX 90
2000 XS TD5 90
Post #715067 28th Jun 2018 8:28pm
legin

The day draws to night we are now out of the hot tub and on to the BBQ ,olives and vegetable crisp for starters then the meats with peppery watercress as it's only companion it just does not get better,Oh who's that fat boke playing with our BBQ

Click image to enlarge

Time to light the fire pit we got the fat boke to do that too Very Happy

Click image to enlarge

By 10 oclock we where all done and with no TV or hi-if early to bed and a very good nights sleep,up at 8.30 and on to the decking for a cupper ,the sun is riseing and we could all readly feel the heat ,next job breakfast and we wanted to go to Brightlingsea as we has already been there to a lovely cafe on the harbour but only by boat from Mersea Island there is a small foot ferry which across to the Island and back again in the summer £2.00 each way ,Another drive around the inlets and marshes of Essex's long coast and to Brightlingsea what a great little place very old and still looks like a working town with it's harbour in the centre ,bacon and mushroom roll and coffee looking out over the harbour.

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

We then walked Max along the beach huts and on to the sea wall about a couple of miles ,this part of Essex just keeps giving beautiful views across to Mersea Island and looking back to Brightlingsea.

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

We have the long drive home about 45 minutes the slow way via Great Wigborough ,Goldhanger and Heybridge all B roads.
What happen about Jaywick we forgot all about the place and the bad rumours bit like the press should do with Essex.
Post #715071 28th Jun 2018 8:42pm
leeds

United Kingdom 
Ooops is that Essex sliding back down the estimation scale? Or is it a case of statistics dammed statistics? Cornwall figure is 20% longer then Essex so I suppose Essex lads/lasses etc will start to argue different.

Brendan
Post #715072 28th Jun 2018 8:42pm
legin

Well Essex had the longest coast up to Jan 2017 and I left school in the 70's and it was one of few things I can remember ,so school really was a waste of time Laughing
Post #715073 28th Jun 2018 8:47pm
seriesonenut

United Kingdom 
Great advert for Essex Thumbs Up

To be exact the Maldon District has one of the longest coastlines at 75 miles (Cornwall being a County of course) because of all the wiggly bits

Essex is underrated, I have a bias for the Maldon district (living here all my life), have a look at this site to get a feel for the area.........

https://www.visitmaldondistrict.co.uk/

This weekend there's a huge car show at Promenade park, about 50 Land Rovers are booked in to celebrate the 70th, expect 1000 + classic cars.

http://forman.no-ip.org/Chelmer/Images/Maldon2017/index.html 2010 XS USW
1957 Series One 88 diesel
1958 Series One 88 4x2

Last edited by seriesonenut on 28th Jun 2018 9:06pm. Edited 1 time in total
Post #715074 28th Jun 2018 8:59pm
Rashers

United Kingdom 2014 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Corris Grey
Couldn't agree more. Essex is really nice and gets a very bad press. It also has some beautiful countryside inland as well.

Loved the photo's in Brightlingsea Thumbs Up

One road in, one road out.

My Wife lived there when we first met and I spent many a happy hour walking around Town and along the sea (pre Defender). Wish we had kept her house now........ They were building those wood clad flats behind your 90 in the picture whilst I was down there.

May I recommend West Mersea Oyster Bar if anyone goes over the causeway to the Mersea Island. Great Seafood.

Jaywick. It's worth going to remind yourself how lucky you are not living there. We have Hemsby in Norfolk. Similar kind of a place.

Pod looks great. I hope you enjoy it!

P.S. I'm sure someone on the telly in the last couple of days stated that Essex has the longest Coastline of any county. Can't remember who. Maybe it does if you measure all the estuaries which are salt water? It was a fact that I wasn't aware of.
Post #715075 28th Jun 2018 9:04pm
legin

Just had a look and know body really knows it changes all the time ,but most in the know say one of these three its between Essex, Kent and Cornwall with Cornwall first at the moment with high scale mapping,but it could change Very Happy Did they include Southend On Sea pier there 2 miles of coast there Rolling Eyes
Post #715077 28th Jun 2018 9:11pm
Slideywindows

England 
Well done Legin. Thumbs Up

The public's perception of Essex has been shaped by Essex Girls and TOWIE etc.

Large parts of Essex are nothing like that.

I'm sure you've been here:

Click image to enlarge

Unfortunately Essex Councils are being forced to fit thousands more houses into the County.
40,000 houses along the A120 alone.

Enjoy the County while you can, as protecting residents' quality of life just isn't profitable.....
Post #715082 28th Jun 2018 9:37pm
legin

Been going there for many years ,from the early days when you could park right by the pond and feed the ducks to a couple of months ago for coffee and cake and I still like to drive though the village and over that bridge in a old car just feels right .
Post #715088 28th Jun 2018 10:04pm
mk1collector

England 2004 Defender 110 Td5 CSW Bonatti Grey
That’s a great farmers tan while doing the BBQ Ray
My build thread
http://www.defender2.net/forum/topic17615.html
Post #715091 28th Jun 2018 10:30pm
Grenadier

France 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Corris Grey
Hell's Teeth Legin, shouldn't there have been some kind of advisory before that charcoal pouring photo? Shocked

Great advert for a lovely county. Good job Thumbs Up . Where's the village with the pond, looks beautiful. Monsieur Le Grenadier

I've not been everywhere, but it's on my list.....

2011 Puma 110DC - Corris Grey
Post #715099 29th Jun 2018 6:08am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 4 1234>