↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Camping, Caravanning and Holidays > Defender 110 Camping Trip - loading advice please?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 2 <12
Print this entire topic · 
Sphere

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Keswick Green

Click image to enlarge

Can you overload Rolling with laughter

Problem I always find is accessing what you want my patrol box was a great addition to help with this but the push chair has to be removed to get to the fridge so will be so glad to dump it
Post #710219 31st May 2018 7:39pm
Fabio

Portugal 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Santorini Black
We go camping 3 or 4 times a year in this country and we have also been to Italy near Venice.
And this year we are planning on going again to Italy.
This is our set up.

Click image to enlarge

When we go to Portugal for holiday.

Click image to enlarge

If it is packed well ( my wife packs ours Very Happy ) you can pack a lot in it.

Fabio
Post #710303 1st Jun 2018 4:02pm
Staftly

United Kingdom 2012 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Orkney Grey
Fortunately I now have a full-length Hannibal on my 110. However, before that I had a perfectly good cheaper solution to carrying all the "soft" items (clothes, sleeping bags, pillows, shoes) indeed anything not too heavy.

My set up was simply, 3 Mambo roof bars and a sheet of marine ply. You can drill the marine ply in order to make lashing points. All the equipment was loaded into large weather proof bags like the Ortlieb Rack Pack (the bigger the better), something like this https://www.tamarackoutdoors.co.uk/PBSCProduct.asp?ItmID=22715346\ A couple of ratchet straps and a handful of bungee cords and you are sorted. You would be amazed how much space all these "soft" items take up. This left me with plenty of space in the rear for the heavier and essential items. This setup lasted me years.

Staftly.
Post #712596 16th Jun 2018 9:02am
chrislines

United Kingdom 
Some great pics here of your fully loaded Defenders.

How do people feel about comfort and fuel consumption on these long trips? We clocked up over 2000 miles in France this summer in another car, so I'm understandably a bit nervous of Defender fuel costs, and people keep warning me about the comfort issue! Thanks.
Post #732714 3rd Oct 2018 12:30pm
donmacn

Comfort is subjective isn't it? Fuel consumption not so much.

Fuel consumption. I reckon if I 'dawdle' - sitting ca. 55-60mp - then I'm getting 30mph from my 300Tdi, maybe a fraction more if on a motorway with easier curves and gradients; less on 'twisty/windy' roads where the engine has to do a bit more work, but still in the 28-30mpg mark.

I've no doubt I'd get better MPG from another car - but I'd have to buy it - and I figure the difference in better fuel costs would be more than outweighed by the purchase costs and depreciation. I'm pretty sure my LR has stopped depreciating (financially!) long ago.

Comfort - for me, I don't need electric windows, a silent cabin, screens in the head-rests. I don't seem to get LR driver's elbow.... In fact I much prefer the more upright seating position to anything modern where your knees sit above your hips. The car does all I need really. If I can hold a reasonable conversation, while driving down the road, that's quiet enough. Then on the 'plus' side, the visibility you get from a Defender is so much better than normal cars, and finally I think there's a psychological thing that kicks in. While the LR is my daily car, it's the family 'holiday car' - when we get in with all the gear, we all feel a sense of occasion!

I can't remember now if you have a LR or not, but if you're still wondering, you do really need to try one out for yourself, see if you could live with it. I guess not everyone can. Donald

1994 Defender 300Tdi 110 SW - owned since 2002 - 230k miles and going strong
(The 'rolling restoration' or tinkering thread: http://www.defender2.net/forum/topic58538.html )
2000 Range Rover P38 4.0L V8

in the past..
RR classic - fitted with 200Tdi
1984 RR classic - V8 with ZF auto box
1993 Discovery 300Tdi

not to mention the minis and the Type 2 VW camper...
Post #732720 3rd Oct 2018 12:53pm
Huttopia

United Kingdom 
chrislines wrote:
Some great pics here of your fully loaded Defenders.

How do people feel about comfort and fuel consumption on these long trips? We clocked up over 2000 miles in France this summer in another car, so I'm understandably a bit nervous of Defender fuel costs, and people keep warning me about the comfort issue! Thanks.

Fuel consumption is easy, it is what it is - good maintenance and a sensible right foot count for a bit. You can calculate the extra cost easily enough and take a view.

Comfort - you have to change the mindset a bit. We have taken the 110 to France a couple of times, once to Brittany and once to the Alps. You take your time, you don't blast along at 80, you stop more, see more and therefore plan to stop more and see more. It is a different type of trip. I'm 6ft 2 and don't have an issue with comfort, similar to quite a few folk I find my back much prefers the driving position.

There is only one way to find out whether it is for you on a long trip, but I'd say have a go. We are off to Norway in the summer in the 110, and that is a long trip Very Happy
Post #732739 3rd Oct 2018 2:17pm
Stacey007

United Kingdom 
As above I'm 6ft 2 and large build Smile but find the defender very comfy seat wise

This summer we went to the French Alps again and have to say I found the lack of cruise control actual ached my foot.. Sad I know!! but driving over 550 miles in one day is a fair way in a truck Smile

So may have to fit this.

Over the time I've had my car it probably averages out around 28mpg (110) although before my trip I had a remap and the best I saw was 36 mpg loaded up !! its much happier at 60mph. Yes it will do 80 mph but even sound proofed everything is more noisy and fuel goes down much quicker Smile At one point I saw 96 (kph.....cough)

It seems to drive the same empty or full just likes being used. If you are off to France look at getting the french toll pass makes it great at the toll gates using the T30 lanes as others que.

We may do a Europe road trip next year so will have to start sorting the sankey out

Click image to enlarge
Post #732770 3rd Oct 2018 5:44pm
miker

United Kingdom 1999 Defender 110 Td5 CSW Rioja Red
Fuel consumption....

Yes. It consumes fuel. Sometimes rapidly. Laughing
Post #732780 3rd Oct 2018 6:33pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 2 <12