↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Off Topic > What’s up with London owners!?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 3 123>
Print this entire topic · 
Hollywood

England 2004 Defender 90 Td5 SW Caledonian Blue
What’s up with London owners!?
I mean I need to get this off my chest because the missus thinks I’m nuts. but Iv driven the Landy 53 miles Into London for the last 4 weeks, through Islington and through central London, Iv seen more defenders than anywhere else........ but there different? clean. Lowered. brand new.

......... and no one even acknowledges me!!!!! I mean Iv stopped next to them in traffic and the owners have looked away haha Iv waved and put my hand up and got looks back as if I’m mad. as far as I’m concerned they don’t deserve them. then back in Essex first Landy a see is a series 3 with and old boy in, I waited, I waited some more getting closer and closer and BOSH! His hand goes up With a nod and finally my hope is restored.

Rant over. miserable city life’s got to me.
Post #707582 16th May 2018 8:11pm
Minch90

United Kingdom 
Agree completely, every time I go to London it's heaving with lowered 90s with heavy tint and very clean mud terrains. Train it up when I have to go, so no opportunity for waving, but lots of that in the Cotswolds, 3 regulars on my morning commute of 14miles!
Post #707587 16th May 2018 8:35pm
diesel_jim

United Kingdom 2006 Defender 110 Td5 SW Epsom Green
I live in deepest Wiltshire and never bother to wave at people. Grew out of it years back
Post #707593 16th May 2018 8:49pm
Hollywood

England 2004 Defender 90 Td5 SW Caledonian Blue
Grew out of it or just become miserable and old? Lol
Post #707595 16th May 2018 8:52pm
diesel_jim

United Kingdom 2006 Defender 110 Td5 SW Epsom Green
Both probably... especially the latter if you ask Mrs D-J.... Whistle Laughing
Post #707596 16th May 2018 8:53pm
acuss01

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Montalcino Red
Haha, what you talking about. Us people in London are very friendly Very Happy . Its those miserable farmers in Wales that don't wave Laughing

I agree there are a fair few Defenders in central London and sure enough there's some Kahn poseurs, but still plenty of 'real' owners.

Me, I ride a bicycle in London, Defender is for leaving the city not driving around it Rolling with laughter 2015 110 XS CSW Montalcino Red with Black Pack
Post #707604 16th May 2018 9:48pm
discomog

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Santorini Black
Got a wave from two guys in an Austin Champ last week! Most of my farming neighbours got rid of their Land Rovers years ago and it seems the Amorok is their vehicle of choice at the moment so I get plenty of waves from them. But hey we're a friendly lot in Lincolnshire. Very Happy Defender 90XS SW
Mini Countryman Cooper S
Morgan Plus 8
Post #707614 17th May 2018 5:02am
GREENI

United Kingdom 
It's not unusual for me to see 4-5 on my way work... All wave,including a lady 110 owner, especially when I'm in the v8, though the guy who had a Kahn truck now rolls past in a new Rangey (private plate off his 110).. He doesn't look anymore!! I even once stopped to help him when his 110 crapped itself Rolling Eyes

I'm just trying get the girl in the McLaren wave now Laughing
Post #707616 17th May 2018 5:39am
ginjez

2011 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 ST Santorini Black
I'd be trying for more than a wave Laughing
Post #707619 17th May 2018 6:24am
Grenadier

France 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Corris Grey
Your journey from Essex takes you through all the helplessly hip/cool/fashionable parts of London where how you act and look is only one layer deep and only one day away from a complete change as you switch to the next fashion. From beard to bald. Tattoo to tattoo-less. Cool urbanités who’ve never been near the country, let alone a farm, to have ever used a Def in its original setting and own one not because of its history, character and individuality but because it happens to be fashionable. They don’t understand or ‘do’ Defender ownership the way we do. They’ll grow out of it.

Prime example. Went to pick up some bits and bobs from a well known modifier of Defenders based in Luton. As I arrived, surrounded by lowered, modified Defs, RRS, RR etc, looking more like Man U’s player carpark, a chap drove in in a fully loaded 110SW that could have had more than a few hundred KMs on the clock. Total Urbanite wearing every label imaginable. Wife totters out of the other side in her latest tracksuit, glued to her iPhone, 5000 quid hand bag on her arm, covered in make up. He had a quick chat with the rep before walking out to be picked up by a mate in a pimped Cayenne. When I asked the rep why he’d come back with the SW that looked faultless, I was told he was selling it. He’d owned it just 4 weeks, having bought it and customised everything inside bar upgrading to a V8. But he had suspension, remap, custom paint, full leather, full carpet, Recaros, Focl sound upgrade, double din, 18” wheels etc etc etc. But he hated it. He bought it for fashion, but couldn’t handle the agricultural nature and was swapping it for a RRS. No understanding of the vehicle or it’s history whatsoever. Interestingly the rep said that at least a third of the fashion-bought Defs were brought back within a month or so. Whistle Monsieur Le Grenadier

I've not been everywhere, but it's on my list.....

2011 Puma 110DC - Corris Grey
Post #707621 17th May 2018 6:29am
300TDi CSW Phil

United Kingdom 1995 Defender 110 300 Tdi CSW Epsom Green
Living near Heathrow I consider myself to be a London based Defender owner and I always wave (even if I don't get a wave back).

I just need to remember to stop waving when I'm driving the van (or get a big sticker that says " my other vehicle is a Defender). Rolling with laughter 1995 300 Tdi Epsom Green - It's a keeper.
Wide Track Sankey- In bits- Gone to a new home
M0XQS
Post #707624 17th May 2018 6:55am
AJC

United Kingdom 
Exactly the same for us up north in the Cheshire. Alderley edge area
Post #707626 17th May 2018 7:05am
Mother superior

United Kingdom 
I'm from London village, and I wave to everyone in a Deafner Oh woe, oh woe
My crusty old landrover,
It will not go.
Post #707649 17th May 2018 8:51am
Scoobeenut

United Kingdom 2010 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 SW Santorini Black
Always wave here, not all London Def owners are the same. Love to get out of the big smoke at the weekends to go shooting, camping/bushcraft or off road. Just getting into the 90 on the weekend and you can feel the weight lifting off your shoulders as you head out.

I think like Grenadier says they are just considered a fashion accessory in and around central London but the reality of driving them after a while sinks in and they get chopped in for the next latest accessory.
Post #707652 17th May 2018 8:57am
LEZ

United Kingdom 
Post reported, most discriminating and offensive thread I have ever seen on this site.
Post #707677 17th May 2018 10:11am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 3 123>