↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Land Rover Customer Relations > Warranty Repair Woes
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 3 123>
Print this entire topic · 
Morepower

New Zealand 
Warranty Repair Woes
Not to hi-Jack Rosco's my Defender thread I thought I'd start a new one on here to explain my rather poor service from LR... Well where to start...

I dropped my Bowler 90 into Morrisons of Stirling the last week in October last year... It was in for a clunk from the diff area, the front wings aligning and a heater box gasket replacement.... It also had a small piece of corrosion on the roof join... This entailed a replacement roof I was told... to be done at an 'Approved LR paintshop' the roof wasn't immediately available, Which wasn't a problem as I don't use the 90 during the winter months... Total mileage at this point was 3611 miles.... Anyway, Towards the 2nd week of March I was told it was ready to collect... Unfortunately this is where is all starts to go wrong... I went over to the dealer (now Pentalnd) and had a quick look at the truck, It was pretty dirty and I noticed a few issues... Rear bumperettes scratched, rear crossmember rusty... The truck had covered 184 Miles, Being driven to Glasgow and back for the roof... When I dropped it in I SPECIFICALLY asked that it was not to be driven in the salt and snow (It lives under a cover most of the time, But they did drive it and never bothered to wash the salt off!!!

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Anyway, A few weeks later (I was away with work) They delivered the 90 to home (bear in mind it wasn't taxed) and I didn't see any tradeplates!!...

Anyway, This is the mess that I was left with....

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

So I contacted LR customer support and spoke to Alex... Very helpful initially.... However... Two weeks later, The 90 is sat on the drive with a bent roof!!!, A windscreen surround that opens up when the suns out and various other paint/sealant/damage and believe it or not worse paint bubbling than the original roof!!!... So what happens now you ask...

Well, It seems not alot... LR have paid the bodyshop for the warranty work, Morrisons are now Pentland and don't want to know and LR are hoping that the bodyshop will sort the damage... I'm supposedly meant to be contacted by the bodyshop... Nothing... LR have emailed them and left messages for the owner (As far as I'm aware they've had no reply either)....

So... I've got a truck that's not safe to drive... No idea when or who will fix it... LR have to go through a process they say... God knows what that means....

Any suggestions anyone???

Regards

Tim It doesn't matter how bad it is, It can always get worse...

2013 Bowler 110 (Sold)
2016 Bowler 90 Rally Spec (Sold)
Post #699975 10th Apr 2018 6:52pm
mk1collector

England 2004 Defender 110 Td5 CSW Bonatti Grey
Ring Landrover every day! They will soon get bored and do something about it, they don't like being pestered in my experience. Ray
My build thread
http://www.defender2.net/forum/topic17615.html
Post #700015 10th Apr 2018 7:55pm
Morepower

New Zealand 
So a quick update for everyone...Spoke to Alex again today.... The bodyshop have been in touch and are now saying that the roof was bent from LR... (why would they fit it then?).... They are taking no responsibility for the repair... Morrisons aren't interested either... LR saying their hands are tied...

So a word of warning to everyone... I'm left with a bent, badly prepared, badly painted, ill fitting roof after a WARRANTY repair... and it seems as though it's upto me to fix it!!!!

So, I'm looking for a puma 90 xs hardtop roof panel...

Regards

2013 Bowler 110 (Sold)
Post #700548 13th Apr 2018 12:27pm
mk1collector

England 2004 Defender 110 Td5 CSW Bonatti Grey
There's no way I'd be fixing myself Shocked I'd be getting solicitors involved if they didn't start pulling their finger out quickly Ray
My build thread
http://www.defender2.net/forum/topic17615.html
Post #700550 13th Apr 2018 12:31pm
VVS210

United Kingdom 
Money claim online against the LR Approved bodyshop, they are at fault either for damaging the replacement roof or for fitting a damaged roof rather than returning it to the supplier. They're also responsible for the fitting & hence bodged sealing.

Alternatively find out who LR reimbursed for the warranty work, Pentland or Morrisons, & claim against them?

As for the rusty nuts, get used to it I'm afraid.
Post #700551 13th Apr 2018 12:47pm
gilarion

Wales 2007 Defender 90 Other CSW Trident Green
Morepower wrote:
and are now saying that the roof was bent from LR... (why would they fit it then?).

Bent from LR that about sounds right I have had all sorts of panels and doors from LR in the past that have arrived at the dealers bent, dented or scratched.
However, damaged or not by LR or someone else the roof was fitted by a body shop and any reputable body shop would have that damage fixed in no time and you would have been none the wiser.

I would definitely not let the matter drop see a solicitor and get him to send a letter to the dealer principal at Morrisons.
Also, it might be worthwhile contacting The Motor Ombudsman.
https://www.themotorombudsman.org/consumers/make-a-complaint For those who like Welsh Mountains and narrow boats have a look at my videos and photos at..

http://www.youtube.com/user/conwy1
Post #700553 13th Apr 2018 12:55pm
Morepower

New Zealand 
No real progress to report... LR aren't really interested... Seems quality control of their approved bodyshop is non-existent, The dealer bodyshop are supposedly having trouble contacting Alex at LR customer support (sounds like a run around tactic to me)... So one Bowler sat on the drive now for 3 weeks unusable...

Seems LR are still really stuck in a BL attitude of customer relations...

2013 Bowler 110 (Sold)
Post #702714 23rd Apr 2018 9:13pm
CR

Ireland 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 CSW Santorini Black
I feel your pain!!! Crying or Very sad
Post #702716 23rd Apr 2018 9:18pm
jomara

Scotland 2014 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Santorini Black
Feel for you Tim, im in the middle of a big dispute with Pentland now, it’s got to the point where I have no faith in them or Land Rover at all.

Might be worth chasing up Jonathan Inman of John Clark Motor Group, he is their JLR brand director and is ultimately responsible for circus that is Pentland. I have his email address here’s if you’d like it.

Have you considered using the legal cover on your insurance to go after them?

Good luck getting a resolution

Cheers
John 2014 110 2.2TDCi XS Station wagon
1971 Bowler Tomcat 88 4.2 V8 Auto
2022 110 250D XS
Post #702734 23rd Apr 2018 9:44pm
doublea

Scotland 2016 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 Adventure Phoenix Orange
Sadly, this happens all the time. The mechanics are not motivated enough to care. I've lost count of the number of times our defenders have come back from the land rover garage with additional damage.

When our 09 110 was in for end of 3 year warranty, one item was the usual corroded side step runners. First they fitted "fire and ice" side steps (wrong part number) then they fitted the correct side steps that were mis- formed and then told me they were meant to be like that to shed water! I kept up the pressure and eventually, a replacement pair were fitted, when it was about 4years old.

If your chosen dealer chooses to subcontract work, then surely they are responsible for that work and they should sort it out as if they had done it themselves, as well as the damage to the rear step.

I suppose this is the reason so many of us don't go near land rover, but it's unavoidable with warranty work.... Current Steeds:
2015 110 UW in Grasmere Green
2003 BMW F650 the Hack
2000 Elise
1992 Ducati 888 (no longer in bits, yahoo)
1990 TDR 250 (in bits again)
1988 TDR 250 (no longer in bits) and for sale
Post #702741 23rd Apr 2018 10:49pm
Morepower

New Zealand 
Quick update... Seems the wheels are starting to turn slowly... Dealer collecting the 90 today/monday... Warranty assessor from LR coming to inspect it Monday at the dealers... Bodyshop now claiming the roof was bent from LR...

So lets see what occurs....

Hopefully, I'll get something to run around it...

2013 Bowler 110 (Sold)
Post #703497 27th Apr 2018 8:38am
steve E

Wales 
Hope you get it all sorted Tim
It is a problem when nobody wants to get warranty work done by the main dealers.
I am one of those people and just brunt the cost to save on hassle.

A speedy resolve on your awesome Defender

regards

Steve
Post #703505 27th Apr 2018 9:47am
discomog

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Santorini Black
It'll be interesting to know what the assessor from JLR has to say. Keep us all informed. Hope it's a favourable outcome for you. Defender 90XS SW
Mini Countryman Cooper S
Morgan Plus 8
Post #703517 27th Apr 2018 10:45am
Zed

United Kingdom 2010 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Santorini Black
Re: Warranty Repair Woes
Morepower wrote:
Not to hi-Jack Rosco's my Defender thread I thought I'd start a new one on here to explain my rather poor service from LR... Well where to start...

I dropped my Bowler 90 into Morrisons of Stirling the last week in October last year... It was in for a clunk from the diff area, the front wings aligning and a heater box gasket replacement.... It also had a small piece of corrosion on the roof join... This entailed a replacement roof I was told... to be done at an 'Approved LR paintshop' the roof wasn't immediately available, Which wasn't a problem as I don't use the 90 during the winter months... Total mileage at this point was 3611 miles.... Anyway, Towards the 2nd week of March I was told it was ready to collect... Unfortunately this is where is all starts to go wrong... I went over to the dealer (now Pentalnd) and had a quick look at the truck, It was pretty dirty and I noticed a few issues... Rear bumperettes scratched, rear crossmember rusty... The truck had covered 184 Miles, Being driven to Glasgow and back for the roof... When I dropped it in I SPECIFICALLY asked that it was not to be driven in the salt and snow (It lives under a cover most of the time, But they did drive it and never bothered to wash the salt off!!!

Tim

Reminds me of...

Post #703558 27th Apr 2018 1:23pm
Caterham

England 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Stornoway Grey
not as bad as you but on my previous 12 month old defender I got back from service where they'd revised it into something slightly bending the rear corner and must have put and oil can on the wing top leaving scratches and oil on the wing ! Twisted Evil

the level of care afforded to defender is ........well none existent.

Last edited by Caterham on 25th Mar 2019 3:29pm. Edited 1 time in total
Post #703774 28th Apr 2018 11:20am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 3 123>