↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Expedition & Overland > A10 Salzburg - Croatia advice for travelling April 2018
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
shropshiredefender

England 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Santorini Black
A10 Salzburg - Croatia advice for travelling April 2018
Planning a road trip in the Puma 110 USW through Europe and down to Croatia. This will involve the A10 from Salzburg to the Croatian coast in late April this year.

Looking at snow in the Shropshire Hills makes me wonder what the passes and tunnels are likely to be like.

Any advice welcome pics of the passes would be great.

Thanks.
Post #694855 20th Mar 2018 8:36am
Badger110

United Kingdom 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Buckingham Blue
Have a look on this website ; www.horizonsunlimited.com

You'll find a wealth of information for overlanding including the area you're travelling in.

Its geared towards 2 wheel overlanding but has a huge area for 4 wheel fellows too and all the information is top notch
Post #694931 20th Mar 2018 3:23pm
Tdi4

Netherlands 2008 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 CSW Stornoway Grey
Just before the slovinian border is a nice camping.

https://www.camping.info/campsite.aspx?campsiteId=19447 a defender from 1984 pretending to be a puma with a touch of Range Rover
Post #694944 20th Mar 2018 4:15pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Huttopia

United Kingdom 
Badger110 wrote:
Have a look on this website ; www.horizonsunlimited.com

You'll find a wealth of information for overlanding including the area you're travelling in.

Its geared towards 2 wheel overlanding but has a huge area for 4 wheel fellows too and all the information is top notch

I worked with Susan (half of the team behind horizons unlimited) about 10 years ago and got to hear some of the stories and see some of the amazing photos first hand. A very cool lady. As Badger says the site is a mine of practical information and well worth a visit, they really know their stuff.
Post #694947 20th Mar 2018 4:46pm
mick

England 2010 Defender 130 Puma 2.4 HCPU Rimini Red
I went last summer to Dugi Otok from zeebrugge to Munich then from Munich to Zadar in 2 days. We were towing a boat as well.
If you want to make it interesting go over the Lobil pass into Slovenia like we did Shocked ended up getting fined Rolling with laughter €25

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

You need a Vignette for Austria & Slovenia as well
No Dash cams in Austria either
Post #694950 20th Mar 2018 5:13pm
RoyW

Netherlands 
We've been in Croatia in summer 2016. On our website (in Dutch) you can find some links to wikiloc. We have driven a couple of off road tracks. http://stokenstaart.nl/2016kroatie/
Post #698183 3rd Apr 2018 10:08am
Boyd

France 2003 Defender 110 Td5 SW Zambezi Silver
You won’t have any issues whatsoever on the main roads, the two main routes are very low lying and would barely see snow.

If you want to make it interesting there are plenty of options but snow chains would still be required i’d dare say by April.

A number of the back country routes would probably just be opening by then but expect deep snow either side of the road and packed snow underneath.

Wikiloc has a few of the interesting routes but if you struggle send me your rough route and I’ll tell you if there is anything interesting close by Cool

One of my first and favourite back country routes through Slovenia was only found by turning off motorways and tolls on the sat nav. Ended up crossing the Triglav National park and the Julian Alps mainly using what in the winter the locals were deeming cross country ski routes..... and I was in a RRS! Whistle 2003 Zambezi Silver TD5 110 XS SW overland prepped....
2004 Santorini Black TD5 110 XS SW left hooker for sale!
2004 Alpine White TD5 110 left hooker (work in progress)
Post #698197 3rd Apr 2018 11:08am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1