↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Maintenance & Modifications > Whats a good winch bumper make?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 2 <12
Print this entire topic · 
leeds

United Kingdom 
A few comments. Personally I like winch bumpers to maintain approach angle as much as possible. Hence consider winch bumpers which sit on top of front chassis rails. Also consider one which sets winch back as well. Not possible with air con.

Consider getting a winch bumper galvanised before powder coating. One of our winch bumpers is rusting/having powder coating blown off as it has protected the front wings from dry stone walls etc.

Brendan
Post #68188 21st Apr 2011 12:24pm
BIGFOG

United Kingdom 2009 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Stornoway Grey
Mines from Devon 4x4, via Gigglepin, it looks the same as the one posted here before but has cut aways at each end, which make it look both more purposeful and less clumsy.

Click image to enlarge

Admin note: this post has had its images recovered from a money grabbing photo hosting site and reinstated Mr. Green
Post #69394 2nd May 2011 8:37pm
Barry

United Kingdom 
Zagato wrote:
Ah, hadn't thought of type approved parts for insurance Rolling Eyes Will call insurers before I do anything Thumbs Up

I would i got stung for £46 for aftermarket tints on my 110 Grrrrr , guess they are going to become very expensive tints as the years pile up. Now I am depressing myself lol
Post #69397 2nd May 2011 8:45pm
Zagato
Site Supporter

United Kingdom 
I was lucky I listed the mods and there was no increase - they did make a point of asking if the radio was a standard LR fitment though Confused (It is!)

Big Fog I went with the Devon 4x4 on Gigglepins recommendation also, they said it looks the most standard and I got standard ends as mine won't be off off-roaded (winch is for occasional work jobs!) Thumbs Up What fairlead and winch have you got? Got any closer pics Thumbs Up

Last edited by Zagato on 3rd May 2011 11:18am. Edited 1 time in total
Post #69405 2nd May 2011 9:13pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
BIGFOG

United Kingdom 2009 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Stornoway Grey
Hi Zagato, the winch is a Warn XDC which I got as it is meant to have better seals than other low profile winches from Warn as I spend a lot of time by the coast. The fairlead is the stainless steel unit from Devon 4x4 and I changed from the steel cable to the more user and salt friendly Marlow rope, again all courtesy of Gigglepin.
Here's a photo to better explain

Click image to enlarge

Admin note: this post has had its images recovered from a money grabbing photo hosting site and reinstated Mr. Green
Post #69457 3rd May 2011 10:03am
Zagato
Site Supporter

United Kingdom 
Thanks for that Foggy, I'll give Giggle a bell re the rope but may buy a cheaper fairlead as the s/s one is a bit much for me at the moment and it won't be used in proper anger like yours Thumbs Up Nice bumper, wish mine would get a wiggle on and get delivered today....
Post #69464 3rd May 2011 10:28am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
BigMike

United Kingdom 
I know plasma etc is the fashion but tbh I prefer cable, its far more robust, especially if you use it in rocky areas. And I dont like the idea of taking plasma off to wash it every time its used in mud or sand etc.
Post #69468 3rd May 2011 10:33am
fordy103

2010 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 HT Zermatt Silver
ye but if a still cable snaps your Censored . Not only is it alot more dangerous, but you can splice steel. If your gonna get a Marlow zagato, make sure you get a splicing kit with it, then your covered if the worst happens Smile
Post #69475 3rd May 2011 11:27am
mse

United Kingdom 2016 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Scotia Grey
fordy103 wrote:
ye but if a still cable snaps your Censored . Not only is it alot more dangerous, but you can splice steel. If your gonna get a Marlow zagato, make sure you get a splicing kit with it, then your covered if the worst happens Smile

How many have you heard of catastrophically failing though??

At a push i could think of 1 but i may just be imagining it!!

There is a weight saving with plasma, but also remember if you have a drum brake you need to get one that can take the heat Mike
Post #69527 3rd May 2011 5:56pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 2 <12