↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > General & Technical (L663) > Any News ?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 5 <12345>
Print this entire topic · 
Ramajama

United States 
MaxRPM wrote:
Nephew was in the JLR design studio a couple of weeks ago and saw the new Defender iterations. He wouldn't give me any specific details other than to say I'm going to be disappointed!

Here’s the silhouette. You might be disappointed.. but then again you might not.

Post #693182 14th Mar 2018 2:42am
Supacat

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS DCPU Keswick Green
What's the source of those?
Post #693220 14th Mar 2018 10:04am
rustandoil

England 2005 Defender 110 Td5 XS DCPU Bonatti Grey
I dont know for sure but they've been around a while
Post #693222 14th Mar 2018 10:08am
Fat Cog

United Kingdom 2016 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 HT Corris Grey
Supacat wrote:

Source: the art class at my beautiful granddaughters primary school! Since 1973...S1, Air Portable's, Defender's, but only my Wolf TUL HS GS remains
Post #693227 14th Mar 2018 10:36am
GREENI

United Kingdom 
They should do a Velar commercial SVO !
Post #693228 14th Mar 2018 10:39am
Ramajama

United States 
Supacat wrote:

These silhouettes have supposedly been around since before the launch of the Disco 5. They were on display at the press conference during the Velar launch and they have been scattered about at JLR Corp. They’ve been hiding in plain sight for awhile. As you can see they represent the basic design of each of the three families. It correctly predicted the Disco 5 so...
Post #693239 14th Mar 2018 11:42am
Supacat

OK - just wondered if they were being floated again now as a precursor to something more definitive...

Talking about hiding in plain sight, then there's the huge 1km sand drawing at Red Wharf Bay in Anglesey

For flesh on the bones, I quite like this bit of guesswork:

http://defender15.blogspot.co.uk/2013/12/sidewinder.html
Post #693264 14th Mar 2018 1:30pm
Ramajama

United States 
Yup that sand drawing looks very similar. I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again, for something that’s not supposed to look like the DC 100, it sure looks a lot like a DC 100...we’ll see. I do like that rendering.
Post #693268 14th Mar 2018 1:51pm
fisha

I was bored, so wondered how close the outlines were to rear life ... not far out . . . -------------------------------
I miss my V8's....
Post #693290 14th Mar 2018 3:39pm
discomog

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Santorini Black
If Supacat is correct in his hunch then the Amsterdam Motor Show takes place from 29th March to 2nd April. Perhaps JLR will launch it on 1st April. Rolling with laughter Defender 90XS SW
Mini Countryman Cooper S
Morgan Plus 8
Post #693305 14th Mar 2018 4:44pm
mk1collector

England 2004 Defender 110 Td5 CSW Bonatti Grey
fisha wrote:

I was bored, so wondered how close the outlines were to rear life ... not far out . . .

What is the third picture? Ray
My build thread
http://www.defender2.net/forum/topic17615.html
Post #693311 14th Mar 2018 5:03pm
fisha

photoshop boredom ... I squashed the range rover wheels down into the defender lines and then fudged around the windows and bodywork to fit the rest of the lines.

I think the general point was the lines of the disco 5 and range rover are 'fairly' accurate and indicative of the outline shapes of the vehicles and their defining features ( such as a forward slanting rear pillar on the disco, the side grills and lights of the RR )

*IF* the same applies to the defender lines, then its not unreasonable to think that those lines make the defining features of the future defender (bulge on the bonnet like a hommage to old tyre on bonnet etc etc)

and were that the case, I think it'd be quite good looking. -------------------------------
I miss my V8's....
Post #693325 14th Mar 2018 5:43pm
gilarion

Wales 2007 Defender 90 Other CSW Trident Green
Ramajama wrote:
other than to say I'm going to be disappointed!

I think we have all felt that statement will be true for all of us for some time now. For those who like Welsh Mountains and narrow boats have a look at my videos and photos at..

http://www.youtube.com/user/conwy1
Post #693329 14th Mar 2018 6:07pm
Ramajama

United States 
fisha wrote:
photoshop boredom ... I squashed the range rover wheels down into the defender lines and then fudged around the windows and bodywork to fit the rest of the lines.

I think the general point was the lines of the disco 5 and range rover are 'fairly' accurate and indicative of the outline shapes of the vehicles and their defining features ( such as a forward slanting rear pillar on the disco, the side grills and lights of the RR )

*IF* the same applies to the defender lines, then its not unreasonable to think that those lines make the defining features of the future defender (bulge on the bonnet like a hommage to old tyre on bonnet etc etc)

and were that the case, I think it'd be quite good looking.

While I definitely think it will be polarizing to true traditionalists, I think some will still like it in the end...even if it has to grow on them. But a lot will never accept it.
But for the rest of us, I think it will be a very handsome vehicle. I think it will sell extremely well and I think it will hit its intended benchmark number for sales. Especially due to being sold in the US.
Unless for some unforeseen reason it ends up being a complete mess, which I doubt, I think my family will have one in the driveway come the middle of 2019. If this site sets up a new Defender section, I’ll gladly participate. Smile
Post #693330 14th Mar 2018 6:16pm
Supacat

Ramajama wrote:
I think it will sell extremely well and I think it will hit its intended benchmark number for sales. Especially due to being sold in the US.

When I heard that they wanted - needed - to sell 50,000 units a year, I was concerned that such a "mass market" vehicle may not be for me; when I then heard they had moved the annual sales target to 100,000, I was even more disappointed.

However, I took the view that if that's the number they need to make a profitable vehicle these days with all the massive investment that goes into new models, then it was hard to argue with.

Then you look at the jaguar sales figures, especially the F type and X type averaging @ 11,000 sales for each of the last two years. The F type is seen as a success and even spawned an SVR version.

It seems there are two very different measures of success when it comes to vehicle volumes.

There was a talk from one of their directors stating that with disruptive technologies, manufacturers needed to be more nimble, step up to the mark and bin projects that had looked good but did not deliver. My worry is if Defender is being set up to fail?

Last edited by Supacat on 15th Mar 2018 11:49am. Edited 1 time in total
Post #693493 15th Mar 2018 9:52am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 5 <12345>