↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Camping, Caravanning and Holidays > OzTent and Campmor tents in bad weather
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 2 <12
Print this entire topic · 
that man

England 2012 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 HT Corris Grey
Oz tent LOVE it fly sheet side panels RV4 can stand up and dance the folks before me have said it all pro' and cons but for us it's brill wind no probs condensation no probs and my lad takes it to DOWNLOAD FESTIVAL and his friends squat ( no surprise there then) but it is long when packed but great when up. P.S. got ours from Brendan - Gave us a demo on how to put it up and fold away etc. good deal too
Post #691008 4th Mar 2018 10:13pm
Doc P

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Firenze Red
Couldn’t afford the Oztent, so bought a Howling Moon Wizz 24 which is basically a rip-off of the Oztent. Went to Wales in August of 2016 - right into the teeth of an Atlantic gale! 60-70 mph gusts and proper torrential rain.

No sleep. Dog threw up as he was so scared. Wife threatened to leave me etc. No midges (all blown to kingdom come but tent has built in insect net). Tent stayed dry inside but the front extension bit of the fly sheet filled with pooled water and kept needing emptying.

Only damage was one guy rope knot came undone! Have to say I was impressed (packed up and legged it next morning).

Again, like the Oztent, doesn’t pack up small and weighs about 25 - 30 kg.

Picture of calm before the storm (i.e. getting lathered).

Click image to enlarge
Post #691012 4th Mar 2018 10:33pm
that man

England 2012 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 HT Corris Grey
Nice dogs pal got two labs and a terrier cross paterdale myself mad house Rolling Eyes
Post #691013 4th Mar 2018 10:38pm
Tribord

France 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS DCPU Zermatt Silver
I have an RV4 which I like, but it always takes longer than 30 seconds even to get just the basic shell structure up. It always takes a bit of fiddling because on one side the mechanism looks a bit out of alignment/bent. It was like this the first time I used it, but when I called the dealer for advice I was instantly told that they had never heard this problem before and it was obviously user error. Even if it was my error (which I very much doubt because it is so simple), I did not hope for that response. So I just put up with some fiddling every time it goes up and down. A bit annoying, but not really a problem and I still think it is a good tent.
Post #691014 4th Mar 2018 10:39pm
leeds

United Kingdom 
Tribord, I have not heard of that issue on a brand new Oztent.

However if someone has dropped a big weight on it that could cause issues.

Have seen people climb onto roof racks, pick up an Oztent, stand up and throw it from about 10' up onto the ground. I cringe when I see people do that. What happens in courier vans does not bear thinking about.

Try silicone lubricant on the sliding arms and see if that improves things. Replacement sliding arms etc should be available from your dealer in France.

Brendan
Post #691023 4th Mar 2018 11:05pm
jst

2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Stornoway Grey
i always used Terra Nova 2man tents, they withstood pretty much anything, we would be out 3-4 weeks in Norway working/living out of them and they survived. for bad weather i dont think it can be beaten.

However times move on, still have the small tents, but when more space is need i take a JV Signature Oz Tent.

I was going for a Jet tent but wanted something to join into the awning as it was going to be vehicle based.

Oz Tent i have had now for 3 years, total about 3 months use from it/nights in it.

Has it leaked - no

Has it been in torrential downpours - yes, 3 summers ago on its first outing when the rain was that bad it ripped the tarmac off the hill outside the house,

did it stay up in that rain and wind, yes, but i had used every peg and guy rope that came with it.

condensation - yes major problem initially. comment above about tents not been for warmth is difficult when you have a family in it, if its warm in and cold outside and single skinned with no air barrier then condensation will form. i overcame it by firstly putting foam floor tiles under the ground sheet, so insulate the floor, secondly using the 'sun' fly cover. problem solved.

If its warm and there is minimal temperature difference between inside and outside the tent they you wont need any of this.

If it cold outside and you leave the vents open to let the tent 'breath' you will have the tent the same temp as outside so no condensation. you might be cold though.

If you have a good sleeping bag to overcome this you will just get the condensation forming where the greatest heat change occurs. outside of sleeping bag probably.

i cant see any single skinned tent not having condensation in it if there is a temperature difference between inside and outside.

big benefit is when you pack it away wet it comes out with dry interior for next evening if done carefully. not many mountain tents can do that with separate flys etc.

If i didnt have the awning to Zip it into and was looking at stand alone tents, i prob wouldnt of got it. they are just soo ££££

in the end mine came from an online camping/caravan store, no one else would match their price.

dealer/warranty - not had any problems with it so cant comment. Cheers

James
110 XS Utility
130 Puma Station wagon/camper (in the making)
90 Puma Hardtop
Post #691162 5th Mar 2018 1:39pm
deejayen

Scotland 
Thanks, all. That's really helpful.

I think I'll be swithering over the tents for a fair while! They all have pros and cons, so it's difficult to work out which would be best.

For this sort of use, I must confess that the Swift Basecamp caravan appeals! I saw one at a dealer's in Perth, and at the SECC show, and I think the layout and features are good for me, but it's around £16,000, which isn't!

Interestingly, I looked up the Safir 5 CP, and see that's now £1425. I dug out my 2008/2009 Tentipi catalogue last night, and found my notes from the time I'd enquired about them, and saw that the same tent then was only £820! That's inflation for you - it's a pity my wages have stagnated!

I hadn't seen the JV Signature OzTent. It looks really nice, although I wouldn't need the extra space (I think it might come with an extra 'room'). However, it says it's made from improved materials etc. so perhaps it's worth looking at. I imagine it's also quite expensive, though.

The OzTent is good for space with its striaght walls and high headroom. The Tentipi has a huge footprint in comparison because of its sloping walls.
Post #691325 5th Mar 2018 10:49pm
Mdm

United Kingdom 
i have 2 main tents an older kyham g4 igloo that has seen many years of use and is still going strong even if it is a little faded. damaged to break one pole. spares are easy to get hold off and regular water proofing helps.

for a bigger tent i use an f30 jet tent with the front and sides some times. great tent and ideal for a family time to pitch with pegging and 4 guy ropes under 15 ins from getting the big heavy bag out of the lr. we too use a good tailored ground sheet and the fly sheet in colder wetter weather. it fits 2 big stretcher beds in easily.

we have used a fair few other tents over the years as well. the downside is high front end cost but if you resell it it will have some value to most people unlike a regular tent.

tepee tents and a stove work well but take longer to set up and break down.
Post #691357 6th Mar 2018 7:38am
rleslie

Scotland 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Epsom Green
We have camped as a family for 17 years now with the kids, I was fed up buying another £350 tent every couple of years, so we took the plunge and bought an Oztent.

I've had my Oztent RV4 for a couple of years now. We spend about 25 nights a year in it. Plenty of camping in Aviemore and Bunchrew!

We really like it, yes the pack size for transporting may be an issue for some, but with a 110 on the roof rack not an issue.

The water and midges have always stayed outside. Even when we have packed up with the tent soaking the inside has been fine. To dry out we just pitch it in the garden.

I've had a few nights of high winds.... yes it was fine, but it did sound scary. I ended up parking my landy wind side to give a little protection. In my opinion they are very well made and I've had no issues with any of the poles, ropes etc. We went for the zip in awning side and front doors, give you loads of space. The ground sheet helps keep everything clean, and the fly sheet provides help with any little condensation. Like someone said earlier on in the thread, its all about changes in temp and ventilation....never been a big issue up in Scotland.

If I was buying another tent again I would buy the same again.

cheers
Post #692178 9th Mar 2018 1:27pm
leeds

United Kingdom 
deejayen wrote:

I hadn't seen the JV Signature OzTent. It looks really nice, although I wouldn't need the extra space (I think it might come with an extra 'room'). However, it says it's made from improved materials etc. so perhaps it's worth looking at. I imagine it's also quite expensive, though.

The JV was a special limited edition and only came into the uk in small numbers. I would have thought that they are all long sold. We sold our last one about 2 years ago. You might pick one up second hand if you are really lucky, - if you find one, buy a lottery ticket too.
Regards
Barbara
Post #698550 4th Apr 2018 4:23pm
geobloke

United Kingdom 
I concur with others in our experience of the Oztent, in our case an RV4 +sides+door+fly.

We have travelled and lived out of our tent across Europe (inc the UK) and find it to be highly adaptable (significantly more so than our previous roof tent) and a great base camp from which to push out from. When touring we tend to just pop the main tent up overnight and then pull it down before moving on. It really is the extras that increase the setup and breakdown time.

Condensation has only ever been a problem once (in nearly a decade), in a secluded hollow in January, it was bitter outside and inevitably our breathing led to condensation that froze on the inside of the tent. All good fun and taken as such.

The only damage we have done to the tent was last summer when the wind separated the fly sheet from the main tent leaving the fly sheets zip on the tent... Gutted, but that's touring and life. Will buy a new one in the next month.

Any deals Brendan?? Whistle Whistle

Transportation is not a massive problem; usually inside and strapped to the roof, through the loadspace barrier or on the roof rack. The bag is apparently waterproof, but even so turn it upside down so the zip is underneath and ingress will be minimal.

A set of decent rock pegs, in addition to the Oztent ones and you are good to go. Plus a lump hammer.

The hole in the rubber foot of the poles is a TOP tip. Do it.

It is essential to erect and break down the tent in the correct way to prevent damage to the internal frame.

At the end of the trip dry the tent out properly, clean the inside and especially the underneath of the floor and it will last you many many many years.

Additionally be prepared for envious looks and conversation wherever you setup. Oh and get used to saying "no it is not an ex-military tent even though it is green" Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes
Post #698594 4th Apr 2018 6:08pm
Yorkshire90

United Kingdom 
+1 on the Oztents. So well made.

I've had mine a few years now and it's still immaculate. I did experience some major flapping around of the side panels in high winds on coastal cliffs but a vehicle blocking the way helped. I'll use the standard wind breakers in future as do most campers. It is a high walled shape though isn't it. "Big green" 2000 Td5 90 IRB Developments modified (2004-2011)

Discovery 3 TDv6 GS Auto 2011-2012 *Missed the Defender too much*

IRB Developments rebuild: Project Ice cube 2012-......

http://www.defender2.net/forum/topic11056.html
Post #701147 15th Apr 2018 8:46pm
Bows

Wales 2006 Defender 110 Td5 SW Alpine White
Soulpad bell tent with the wildo wood burning stove. We love it. 2006 TD5110 station wagon
1995 300Tdi 90 truck cab
1989 90 hard top with 200 tdi
1983 110 hard top
1983 110 Hi cap
1954 107 pick up
Post #701167 15th Apr 2018 9:29pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 2 <12