↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Maintenance & Modifications > New chassis and the DVLA
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
defender9

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 SW Keswick Green
New chassis and the DVLA
A friend of mine is rebuilding a 200tdi 90 and has purchased a new galvanised chassis as the old chassis was rotten. He informed the DVLA that he is rebuilding the vehicle onto a new chassis and they have responded saying that he cannot re-use the original chassis (VIN) number and that the DVLA will issue him with a new chassis number which I assume will be nothing like the one that Land Rover originally assigned to the vehicle. Neither of us are sure of the rules around this so I said I would post on here to ask if anyone has rebuilt a Defender with a new chassis informing the DVLA and has been able to retain the original chassis (VIN) number?
Post #689839 1st Mar 2018 12:16am
leeds

United Kingdom 
I think your issue is that you are using the expression rebuild rather then a repair or replacement.

Rebuilding a vehicle yes you may well get a new VIN as it can be construed as a new vehicle. Taken from DVLA

Quote:

Find your VIN
The VIN is usually stamped into the chassis of the vehicle. It may be lost if you rebuild or modify your vehicle.

When you may need a new VIN or registration
If you have a kit car, rebuild, or radically altered vehicle, DVLA will usually have to assess it.

You may be able to keep its original registration number if you can prove the vehicle’s original VIN. If you can’t, you’ll have to apply for a replacement identity number.

DVLA will give you an authorisation letter to get the vehicle stamped with the new VIN if your vehicle passes its assessment.

You can keep the same registration number IF

Keep a vehicle’s original registration number
A rebuilt vehicle can keep its original registration number if you can prove you’ve used:

the original unmodified chassis or bodyshell (car or light van)
a new chassis or monocoque bodyshell of the same specification as the original (car or light van)
the original unmodified frame (motorbike)
a new frame of the same specification as the original (motorbike)
You must also have 2 other major components from the original vehicle from the following lists.

For cars or light vans:

suspension (front and back)
steering assembly
axles (both)
transmission
engine

So is the chassis being repaired or replaced with a new same as original chassis?

Our red 110 needed a new chassis as the original one was damaged beyond repair with an original correct chassis so kept the original VIN and registration number as it had original engine transmission etc were kept.

HTH

Brendan
Post #689844 1st Mar 2018 12:44am
zsd-puma

United Kingdom 2010 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Santorini Black
if you're replacing the chassis with a factory spec one (albeit one that's been dipped in zinc), then you don't actually need to inform the DVLA, just stamp your existing chassis number into it.

The only time you'd need to inform them and take it for a VIC or SVA test is if you'd rebuilt it using various other new components too, ie the engine, the axles, various new bits of body. Or if you'd replaced it with a non factory spec chassis, ie a 6x6 one or changed it from a 110 to a 90.
Post #689854 1st Mar 2018 6:29am
ian series 1

United Kingdom 2008 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 CSW Bonatti Grey
I’ve just done the same regarding my chassis swap,
I just re stamped the new one, and scrapped the old one minus the dumb iron with the number. (I’ve kept that)
Take a few photos, and keep your invoice.

Engine swap was a bit more involved with the DVLA!

Regarding the chassis, as long as what your doing is legal, I wouldn’t get DVLA involved,
They are an absolute nightmare to deal with now. 80" 80" 86" 88" 90"

Wanted, Forward Control Anything considered.
Post #689860 1st Mar 2018 7:17am
defender9

Yes, if he hadn't already informed the DVLA I would have told him just to stamp the new chassis, unfortunately he has informed them so he's currently batting e-mails back and forth with them. Personally I'm not sure why the DVLA cannot accept stamping a like for like chassis with the original chassis number as he has proof that he has disposed of the old chassis and he cut out the section of old chassis with the chassis number stamped on it and retained it.

He is retaining the original engine, gearbox axles, suspension and steering components.
Post #689891 1st Mar 2018 10:28am
ian series 1

More here....

Last paragraph says it all. Thumbs Up

http://www.glencoyne.co.uk/vosalaw.htm 80" 80" 86" 88" 90"

Post #689904 1st Mar 2018 11:31am
diesel_jim

United Kingdom 2006 Defender 110 Td5 SW Epsom Green
Just cut all communications withthe DVLA and crack on with the chassis change.

When I built a 110 into a 90 some years back, I inadavertantly opened the DVLA can of worms by contactiing them, had a few visits and ended up with a Q plate... the inspector said to me bluntly...

"next time you won't contact us, will you!!"
Post #690288 2nd Mar 2018 6:32pm
blackwolf

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Stornoway Grey
^^ Change the wheelbase and you are legally require to tell DVLA.
Post #690298 2nd Mar 2018 7:18pm
diesel_jim

United Kingdom 2006 Defender 110 Td5 SW Epsom Green
That's what I thought, hence why I contacted them, but even their inspector was hinting otherwise.

But as for the O/P of this thread, like for like chassis just change it and stamp the old number into the new rail.
Post #690300 2nd Mar 2018 7:21pm
dannyc85

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 CSW Stornoway Grey
I'm planning g on replacing my chassis this summer. How would you stamp the old chassis number on the new chassis? Is there some sort of stamp you can buy? I also would t want to get the DVLA involved but was worried in case having no stamp becomes a problem in the future.
Post #690306 2nd Mar 2018 7:49pm
blackwolf

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Stornoway Grey
You can buy letter and number punches in just about size from any good engineering supplier, or now from the Internet or eBay.
Post #690308 2nd Mar 2018 8:00pm
ian series 1

https://www.axminster.co.uk/axminster-lett...es-ax22576 80" 80" 86" 88" 90"

Post #690312 2nd Mar 2018 8:07pm
VVS210

United Kingdom 
diesel_jim wrote:
...like for like chassis just change it and stamp the old number into the new rail.

Set of punches, straight edge, G clamps & Land Rover Tool #1 Thumbs Up did just this with my brothers 90 that he bought back from the insurance as a write off & rebuilt on a new galvanised chassis. Cut the old chassis into bits, kept the piece with the VIN number on & took the rest to a scrappy - job done Very Happy

As for the OP - I'd be quoting their own website back to them & saying that you will see them in court if they refuse to accept a simple like for like chassis replacement. Even if they insist in applying the modified vehicle criteria you'd still score 9 points provided the vehicle was transplanted like for like.

If DVLA were as interested in catching tax dodgers, like the one who lives opposite me who has a VW Golf in the road that has not been taxed since end of December 2013, as they are about wasting time on nonsense like this then I would be happy - that car has been reported dozens of times & they have done nothing!
Post #690320 2nd Mar 2018 8:24pm
defender9

My friend has quoted the DVLA website back to them I believe, he’s still waiting for a response back Rolling Eyes
Post #690396 3rd Mar 2018 12:19am
Hufflepuff

England 2005 Defender 90 Td5 XS CSW Tonga Green
I fell into this can of worms a few years back with a lightweight where the chassis was swapped to a coil sprung version. There was some discussion of whether the rules were backdatable to the time where the chassis was swapped, but in the end we swapped it back to leaf springs on another replacement chassis.

How much of a modification do you think you would get away with and stay within the rules? I'm going to need a new chassis for a 110 v8 which I'm rebuilding at the moment, and I see Richards Chassis offer one with a different fuel tank brackets to take the newer style tanks which I'm pondering.

Similarly, would a removable gearbox cross member be permitted, as I'd like to replace the LT85 with an R380 and I understand that the removeable cross member makes it a little easier? 2005 Td5 90 XS
1989 V8 110 CSW
Post #690407 3rd Mar 2018 2:18am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>