Home > Puma (Tdci) > Pipercross Performance Air Filter
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Apynala

Morocco 2009 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 SW Chawton White
Pipercross Performance Air Filter
Hello,

Does anyone know that kind of air filter?

http://www.paddockspares.com/pp/DEFENDER/E..._TDCI.html

I'd like to protect my engine from dust. Are they better than genuine ones.

Thanks Thumbs Up
Post #68603 25th Apr 2011 8:12pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
custom90

United Kingdom 
I would imagine so although personally i would choose ITG: http://www.td5alive.com/acatalog/Air_Filters.html Thumbs Up
Post #68655 26th Apr 2011 10:43am
Apynala

Morocco 2009 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 SW Chawton White
OK, thanks

But I driving 33% off road in dust, sand and mud, I would like to protect the engine. Do you think those filters could be better than genuine ones driving off road. I don't need more power.
Thumbs Up
Thanks.
Post #68728 26th Apr 2011 10:23pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Alive Tuning

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Havana
We supply Pipercross filters (made to our own spec, and with our branding), and ITG.

Both are excellent, but the Pipercross normally comes in two-ply form (two layers of foam), which I did not find satisfactory, so I had mine made with a very fine top, third layer to arrest more dust particles.

ITG filters are thicker, and so have a greater dust retention capacity than the Pipercross, and several times that of a K&N type filter. Exclamation

However, All 'performance' air filters are oiled. This oil is there to capture the dirt, and hold it in place, preventing it from pulling through the foam or gauze.

The problem I see in your case is that in very dusty conditions, your oiled air filter is going to attract more of the airbourne dust, which will stick to the filter,and blind it quickly.

A paper filter on the other hand, is completely dry, and so any course particles will fall to the base of the air box, especially after engine shut down. Some paper element filters have a foam pre-filter too, which further increased filter life, by trapping the dust before it has chance to make it to the pleated paper sections.

As a rule, I will only recommend performance filters, if the customer will be using the car in fairly clean conditions. For use in dusty conditons, I always recommend the use of an original spec paper element filter, which when clean, should still flow more than enough air for even a well tuned engine.

If the use in dirty conditions is only occasional, then it is a good option to use a performance filter, until the next time you expose it to high dust levels, when you refit the paper filter.

Hope this makes sense?! Very Happy

Regards,

Gary.
Post #68733 26th Apr 2011 11:22pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Post Reply
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1