↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Puma (Tdci) > Clutch and gearbox woes.....
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Shax

England 2010 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Stornoway Grey
Clutch and gearbox woes.....
Well, after much whinging and complaining to various dealers, my 2010 Puma is going to have a gearbox and clutch replacement... I've tried all the "local" dealers, and all I keep getting is "it's a Defender, what do you expect".. Well, for the best part of 30 grand I expect it to work is my usual reply!

So, I traveled a bit further from home, and Guava in Godalming are actually quite good at listening to the described symptoms, going on a road test to see what's wrong and then actually arranging to get the work done.

My D'Fender goes in for the transplant on the 14th.. I'll keep you posted! ... ,-------,
.. I [__][_]|__
.. I __ |"_|"__|
.. "(o)====(o)"
^^_-^-_^-^_^^^^^--^^^^
PAUL
G7ALW 14.200 USB
26FB458 / 27.275 SSB
Post #65808 31st Mar 2011 11:57pm
Marius

South Africa 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 SW Keswick Green
Re: Clutch and gearbox woes.....
Shax wrote:
Well, after much whinging and complaining to various dealers, my 2010 Puma is going to have a gearbox and clutch replacement... I've tried all the "local" dealers, and all I keep getting is "it's a Defender, what do you expect".. Well, for the best part of 30 grand I expect it to work is my usual reply!

So, I traveled a bit further from home, and Guava in Godalming are actually quite good at listening to the described symptoms, going on a road test to see what's wrong and then actually arranging to get the work done.

My D'Fender goes in for the transplant on the 14th.. I'll keep you posted!

What are the symptoms?
Post #65816 1st Apr 2011 7:10am
Shax

The symptoms include snatching into second and third, loud "clunk" from gearbox when changing, very noisy clutch, refusing to go into gear, jumping out of gear... the usual symptoms!! ... ,-------,
.. I [__][_]|__
.. I __ |"_|"__|
.. "(o)====(o)"
^^_-^-_^-^_^^^^^--^^^^
PAUL
G7ALW 14.200 USB
26FB458 / 27.275 SSB
Post #66089 3rd Apr 2011 10:41pm
iruffell

United Kingdom 2009 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Zambezi Silver
I am in exactly the same position and have been told "it's normal for a Defender", I'm going to show it to the "Defender expert" mechanic this week as he was on holiday last week when in for service.
Shax, how did you pursued them?
Post #66104 4th Apr 2011 8:47am
DefenderOfTheEarth

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Tonga Green
IMO a slight clunking and snatching is fairly normal but failing to change into a gear is not!

I find each gearchange a challenge and when I get it right, I'm chuffed! Takes a blend of near brutality and delicacy.

Certainly makes you concentrate! Defender 110XS SW gone... now VW California 180 4 Motion.
Post #66122 4th Apr 2011 10:27am
Shax

iruffell wrote:
I am in exactly the same position and have been told "it's normal for a Defender", I'm going to show it to the "Defender expert" mechanic this week as he was on holiday last week when in for service.
Shax, how did you pursued them?

When I took mine in for its first service, I had a good chat with the service man at Guava.. Explained all my worries, and let the servicing go ahead... When I collected my tractor, I had another chat with said service man, and said I'd keep an eye on things, and would get back to them after a few weeks thrashing!

Well, to cut a long story short, took it back last week, had an accompanied drive with a service tech, and explained all the issues I was having while on the drive. On getting back to the garage, the warranty swaps were discussed, and dates were arranged..

The dealer I bought my tractor from didn't seem to give a Censored about the problems, and as I was a cash customer with them, and had no finance tie ins, I assume all they care about is shifting numbers out the door regardless of come backs.

It's a 30 mile drive to Guava's for me, so it aint a quick trip to the shops kinda mission, but so far, they definitely get my vote.

SHAX ... ,-------,
.. I [__][_]|__
.. I __ |"_|"__|
.. "(o)====(o)"
^^_-^-_^-^_^^^^^--^^^^
PAUL
G7ALW 14.200 USB
26FB458 / 27.275 SSB
Post #66329 5th Apr 2011 11:08pm
Shax

Gearbox / Clutch warranty update...!!

I just collected my tractor from Guava's in Godalming... They have replaced the clutch along with the clutch master and slave cylinders. Seems to have made a big difference to the gearchange.. Much smoother, and no "graunching" into second and third now, and the slight lurch I used to get when shifting into 1st has gone. I am going to do some serious mileage this weekend, so will know for sure if the fault has been fixed.

While it was there, I mentioned that the mudflap brackets were going a lovely shade of RUST, and they have also been swapped under warranty..

PAUL. ... ,-------,
.. I [__][_]|__
.. I __ |"_|"__|
.. "(o)====(o)"
^^_-^-_^-^_^^^^^--^^^^
PAUL
G7ALW 14.200 USB
26FB458 / 27.275 SSB
Post #67947 19th Apr 2011 10:57am
Shax

Gearbox / Clutch warranty update...!!

I just collected my tractor from Guava's in Godalming... They have replaced the clutch along with the clutch master and slave cylinders. Seems to have made a big difference to the gearchange.. Much smoother, and no "graunching" into second and third now, and the slight lurch I used to get when shifting into 1st has gone. I am going to do some serious mileage this weekend, so will know for sure if the fault has been fixed.

While it was there, I mentioned that the mudflap brackets were going a lovely shade of RUST, and they have also been swapped under warranty..

PAUL. ... ,-------,
.. I [__][_]|__
.. I __ |"_|"__|
.. "(o)====(o)"
^^_-^-_^-^_^^^^^--^^^^
PAUL
G7ALW 14.200 USB
26FB458 / 27.275 SSB
Post #67948 19th Apr 2011 10:57am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1