↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Maintenance & Modifications > Air heater or coolant heater - Webasto, Eberspacher, Kenlowe
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 3 <123>
Print this entire topic · 
wyvern

United Kingdom 2012 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Firenze Red
AJC wrote:
Been considering one for a while now. My only concern would be it getting wet when laning. I think I’d have to mount it under second row seats.

We had a heater mounted under the 2nd row seats in our previous 110 and it was fine - we had a hose to direct the heat to any area you needed ! Poppy - TDCI (Puma) 110XS 2.2 - Camper conversion - see the build here - https://www.defender2.net/forum/topic56530.html
Elgar -TDCI(Puma) 110XS Dormobile - now sold
Devon & Cornwall 4x4 Response - DC126
Post #668710 3rd Dec 2017 8:01pm
donmacn

How much heat does one of these generate then?

Hypothetically, if it was one with a timer, set to come on about 30 mins before you were setting off, on a cold, frosty morning, would it heat up enough to defrost the windscreen?
Post #668856 4th Dec 2017 11:26am
AJC

United Kingdom 
I'd definitely like to think so yes.

Thanks Wyvern, I have found an eberspacher dealer close to me so I'm going to see what they have to offer.
Post #668889 4th Dec 2017 2:23pm
76MV

Has anyone fitted a Webasto Thermo top C with Thermo call them self or does it have to be done by a Webasto engineer? Thanks Marco
Post #668927 4th Dec 2017 5:40pm
geobloke

United Kingdom 
Hi 76MV. Just been looking in to this. Looks pretty straight forward, quite expensive mind. Does mean that you do not need an internal controller, so less dash clutter.
Post #668932 4th Dec 2017 5:52pm
zsd-puma

United Kingdom 2010 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Santorini Black
donmacn wrote:
How much heat does one of these generate then?

Hypothetically, if it was one with a timer, set to come on about 30 mins before you were setting off, on a cold, frosty morning, would it heat up enough to defrost the windscreen?

Yep definitely, my old Range Rover had one, you could either set it with the timer or zap it with the remote - the Webasto remotes have a massive range, something like 1km in open field. About 30 min with it running and you'd arrive to a completely toasty car. Bear in mind though they're quite hard on the battery, so if i recall correctly from the Range Rover manual, if you had it on for 30 min then you needed to take it for a minimum 30 min drive to recharge the battery. That's not to say it'd run the battery flat straight away, but if you ran it for 30 min 5 days a week but only did a 15min drive there is a good chance you'd have a flat battery come day 5. If you could plug the car into a mains charger every night though it wouldn't be an issue.
Post #668950 4th Dec 2017 7:17pm
donmacn

(not sure why I can't quote the last post in a thread??)

anyway, on the question of current drain, this is from the MV airo product linked to above: "The warm, dry air is circulated around the interior of the vehicle by the quiet built in fan. Its efficient design means current consumption is kept to a minimum. At a low setting, drawing only 0.9A from the battery."

It's 14-29 watts depending on minimum to maximum settins, the nakatenaga one seems to be similar.

Is that a lot of current? I'm usually pretty wary of permanent/non-ignition powered devices, but I suppose the website blurbs had me thinking this would be OK.

I have a huge truck battery in the 110 - biggest thing I could fit under the passenger seat. Does that make a difference? The car is used more or less daily - about 15/20 mins each way if just going to work, with other trips in/out of town as needed, or longer runs.
Post #669000 4th Dec 2017 9:43pm
jst

2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Stornoway Grey
I have a thermo top c and an airtop in my 2.4.

Ran thermo tops in previous td5 prior to that. Cheers

James
110 XS Utility
130 Puma Station wagon/camper (in the making)
90 Puma Hardtop
Post #669065 5th Dec 2017 8:58am
zsd-puma

United Kingdom 2010 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Santorini Black
donmacn wrote:
(not sure why I can't quote the last post in a thread??)

anyway, on the question of current drain, this is from the MV airo product linked to above: "The warm, dry air is circulated around the interior of the vehicle by the quiet built in fan. Its efficient design means current consumption is kept to a minimum. At a low setting, drawing only 0.9A from the battery."

It's 14-29 watts depending on minimum to maximum settins, the nakatenaga one seems to be similar.

Is that a lot of current? I'm usually pretty wary of permanent/non-ignition powered devices, but I suppose the website blurbs had me thinking this would be OK.

I have a huge truck battery in the 110 - biggest thing I could fit under the passenger seat. Does that make a difference? The car is used more or less daily - about 15/20 mins each way if just going to work, with other trips in/out of town as needed, or longer runs.

The thing with a huge battery is it just means the heater will run for longer before you can't start the car. The standard battery is fine so long as the engine is being run long enough for the alternator to recharge it. As i said if you keep running it for too long each day with not enough time to recharge it, eventually it all adds up and the battery wont start the car one day. No matter how large the battery, if you take more out than you put in eventually it'll go flat. Again quoting from my Range Rover manual if you run the heater for 30 min, you needed to take the car on a 30 min drive to recharge the battery. So if you only do a 15min drive, just run the heater for 15 min. The car wont be as toasty as if you'd run it for 30 but it'll still be well above freezing. But it depends how cold it is, if you've got half an inch of ice on your windscreen then you're not going to clear that in 15min, probably not even after 30 min, but it'll be a lot easier to scrape off. So long as you get the balance right between heater run time and drive time it'll be fine.
Post #669081 5th Dec 2017 11:07am
geobloke

United Kingdom 
jst wrote:

Ran thermo tops in previous td5 prior to that.

My wife would call that pure luxury... Thumbs Up Are they integrated or standalone JST?
Post #669084 5th Dec 2017 11:15am
tookaphotoof

Netherlands 2013 Defender 130 Puma 2.2 HCPU Santorini Black
I would call that pure luxury as well!!!😄
They’re both on my wishlist. Wouldn’t worry about the battery as all of my cars can easily be plugged in when I’m home.
Post #669085 5th Dec 2017 11:28am
camelman

United Kingdom 
I would give a +1 to giving consideration to the battery.
I ran a Webasto Thermo Top C and flat batterys were an an issue occasionally.

It's only really running the heaters fuel pump and the fans in the cab but on occasions I would come out to a nice toasty, defrosted car with not enough oomph to start the engine! 
Post #669107 5th Dec 2017 12:47pm
Custard1640

United Kingdom 
I have a webasto in my TD5 and it is superb getting into a warm car with the engine warm. The price now is mad though at £1,700.
Post #669725 8th Dec 2017 1:53pm
Avelingporter

United Kingdom 2016 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 HT Corris Grey
Try looking at the attached thread. My friend is very pleased still with his D7 block heater. Much cheaper than the webasto.

http://www.defender2.net/forum/topic50281.html[/url]
Post #669732 8th Dec 2017 2:39pm
jst

2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Stornoway Grey
geobloke wrote:
jst wrote:

Ran thermo tops in previous td5 prior to that.

My wife would call that pure luxury... Thumbs Up Are they integrated or standalone JST?

they are stand alone.

the termo top C is fitted in the engine bay (in front of heater blower tight against the wing) and plumbed into the heater coolant pipes.

Click image to enlarge

this alone is sufficient to defrost the windscreen if the vehicle blower is left on 1 and the heater temp is turned up. i have it wired to work off a remote or digital timer.

the Air top is fitted under the rear drivers side seat (110) it has a branch on the outlet to split the hot air two ways to each side of the rear passenger compartment. this is on a rheostat that i set manually to then come on, you can do them through tele or other timers i believe.

I ran both these on std LR Def battery and never had problem with them. if the voltage drops too low they turn themselves off anyway.

the fuel feed is taken from the rear fuel tank, i dropped the tank and put in two separate dedicated feeds.

with weather as it is i run the termotop C for 15mins or so prior to leaving coolant is than 40-45deg off scanguage (heater on hot but fan off) prior to start. if youngsters are coming with me i will also run air top for similar period.

As things have progressed with the vehicle these now run off a split charge 2nd battery, i have solar top up also plugged in when vehicle is not going to be run for four days or so.

Another benefit of the thermo top C is if you go camping is you can plump in a heat exchanger to give you hot water (shower for example) and the thermo top can heat and circulate the coolant through the heat exchanger without running the engine. Sometimes we are away for four/five days and this works a treat.

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

The benefit of the air top is you can run it without the engine if in static vehicle trying to dry out clothes/warm up etc. The thermo top in my experience an inefficient way to heat the interior, coolant wont get much above 40 and yiu are heating water to then heat air.

i fitted both of them myself so if people have questions please feel free to ask. Cheers

James
110 XS Utility
130 Puma Station wagon/camper (in the making)
90 Puma Hardtop
Post #669736 8th Dec 2017 3:29pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 3 <123>