↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Series Land Rovers > Latest purchase - Series 3 109 (Alfred the 109)
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 3 of 3 <123
Print this entire topic · 
orkneydave

United Kingdom 
Problems at the garage - Ball joints too small?? Help!
Alfred is currently in my local garage at the moment having all the jobs dont that I sadly haven't had time to do but it seems to have been one problem adter another.

Current issue is that the ball joints that are on the new track rod and drag link I supplied from Paddocks are too small!

Anyone heard of this before? The ball joints are threaded into the rods okay but the bottom tapers are too small apparently. I've called Paddocks and they are confused too as they say they should be the same size. I'm guessing I have a series 3 axle but wouldn't have thought it would make much difference anyway!

Any ideas much appreciated.

Cheers,

Dave
Post #663065 10th Nov 2017 11:18am
Stacey007

United Kingdom 
Hello

What garmin sat nav do you use that lets you add a camera, I like Tomtom interface but will not allow a camera?

Thanks
Post #663077 10th Nov 2017 11:54am
orkneydave

United Kingdom 
The sat nav is a Garmin LMT51. It uses a specific wireless camera from Garmin (a BC30 I think). Works really well and I have found I rely on it more than I thought now.
Post #667243 27th Nov 2017 11:02am
ian series 1

United Kingdom 2008 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 CSW Bonatti Grey
Dave,
I have never heard about the track rod ends fitting poorly either?
Over the last few years I've had 4 complete sets for various Series Land Rovers,
And all have been spot on.

I must say one thing, I've been sent/ordered quite a few Bearmach parts recently,
And the quality is somewhat disappointing!
It is a brand I've always tried to avoid if possible,
The Britpart parts seem to be quite good recently, maybe they have finally got their act together?

I had a pair of Bearmach vent flap seals for my series 3, which I've just sent back today!
2" too short, and they just consisted of a piece of badly cut foam like you would stick around a drafty window at home,
They were nothing like the originals Evil or Very Mad

Hope you get it all sorted soon!

Cheers 80" 80" 86" 88" 90"

Wanted, Forward Control Anything considered.
Post #667263 27th Nov 2017 1:20pm
orkneydave

United Kingdom 
Death wobble, but only sometimes???
Firstly, apologies for not posting here in a while, I will post an update shortly!

Anyway, coming home the other day (new years day actually) Alfred decided to vibrate violently before I brought him to a stop. I checked all the wheels were still on (I've had a wheel fly off when driving my son's defender) and that everything was in order. When I set off to limp home, all seemed okay and he drove fine.

At the time I thought it must have been something to do with disengaging 4wd earlier in the day. The roads had been very icy the day before so I have been in 4wd, but before setting out on new years day, I disengaged it by pulling the red lever back and forward. I assumed that 4wd hadn't actually disengaged until the event with the wobble and that it had popped out at speed, causing the wobble.

Anyway, all seemed fine until this evening when again a sudden violent wobble occurred. I noticed that the steering felt a touch lighter before hand but put this down to it being very windy and the steering box possibly requiring a slight tighten up. Again, I pulled over, checked all was where it should be and set off with no adverse effects. I should mention that bot times I have been doing around 30mph (possibly slightly less). Alfred had a service at the end of November with new track rod, drag link, wheel bearings, rear shock and swivel kits (and swivels) fitted.

So, any ideas? I have a drive south in a couple of weeks (Aberdeen to Edinburgh, then back up to catch the ferry home from Scrabster) so keen to resolve before then!
Post #677321 9th Jan 2018 9:09pm
LandRoverAnorak

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Orkney Grey
Incorrect swivel preloads is the first thing that comes to mind, particularly give the work you've had done. Darren

110 USW BUILD THREAD - EXPEDITION TRAILER - 200tdi 90 BUILD THREAD - SANKEY TRAILER - IG@landroveranorak

"You came in that thing? You're braver than I thought!" - Princess Leia
Post #677344 9th Jan 2018 9:48pm
orkneydave

United Kingdom 
Long overdue update
Death wobble was down to a loose track rod Shocked Two minute fix and all okay! Now swivels, track rod, drag link etc have been replaced I need to concentrate my efforts further up to get the steering how I want (still too much play for my liking!

Anyway, time for a long overdue update on what I've done so far:

Wire up reverse light

Following on from fitting the reversing camera previously, I still had to wire up the reverse light and gearbox switch! This was surprisingly easier to do than I expected.

Floor up

Click image to enlarge

Hole in selector re-tapped and switch fitted

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

and wires connected

Click image to enlarge

Fitted interior light

This was a £3.99 find at a filling station whilst on my travels south. I plan on wiring in a more permanent solution at some point but this works well for now! I covered it in black insulating tape to help it blend in a bit!

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

New hood

When bought, Alfred came with a rather old but reasonably watertight FFR tilt. Whilst it kept me mostly dry, I wanted to improve how Alfred looked, have the ability to roll up the sides and have side windows. After a bit of research I opted for a new hood from Undercover Covers (despite the rubbish website!). After a wait of around 6 weeks, the new hood arrived and was fitted.

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Christmas tree duties Very Happy

Click image to enlarge

Rescued my son when he got stuck in his Defender Rolling with laughter

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Fitted new tailgate hinges

Having seen these on Conrad's brilliant thread for his V8 90 I decided to get a set of two-way tailgate hinges from Purely Metal. I had to wait a bit as he had no galvanised ones in stock but it was orth the wait.
The kit:

Click image to enlarge

It was fairly simple to fit and has made the back of Alfred so much easier to use and get in and out of. Would highly recommend this!

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Fitted new door handles

I got a bit fed up of my passenger door flying open randomly and didn't think usung dog leads to secure it was going to be a long term solution

Click image to enlarge

I also found cracks in the driver's side mechanism

Click image to enlarge

So I ordered some anti-burst door locks from SP4X4. I got the kit that included all the bits required including a step drill bit (I already have a set but have found the one supplied useful for drilling out rounded off screws etc!)

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Oddly, one of the strikers seemed to have been previously opened and had mis-matched screws holding the rubber block Confused

Click image to enlarge

Anyway, old handles off

Click image to enlarge

and new ones fitted

Click image to enlarge

Much better now but still require a bit of fettling. The driver's door works fine although the handle is a little stiff, however the passenger door first proved almost impossible to open. I have adjusted it a fair bit but now the door doesn't close as tight as I would like. I think the doors themselves may need adjusting at the hinges so plan to tackle this on a sunny weekend sometime.

Swapped cord on tailgate flap for bungee

I'd been meaning to do this since fitting the new hood at the end of September but wanted to wait until the hood had been through a few wet/dry/hot/cold cycles so as to reduce the chances of shrinkage. Anyway, this was a fairly easy job. I ordered a 2m length of bungee from Amazon and found an online chandlrey that could supply crimps to allow me to create eyelets at either end. I put the first eyelet in before threading the bungee though the flap and fitting the eyelet on the other end. I used heat shrink to seal over the crimps and hopefully protect a bit from the salty air here. Along with the new tail gate hinges, this has made a massive difference to getting acces into the back of Alfred.

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Moved my son's kayak

Click image to enlarge

Drove through the Highlands in the snow

Click image to enlarge

Fitted Grafty's most excellent lower dash vents

Not much to say about these other than that I am really pleased with them (there's lots more here http://www.defender2.net/forum/topic59006.html)

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Soundproof Laughing the rear

As Alfred is my daily driver and I spend at least an hour a day at the helm I was a little concerned about the effect on my hearing. I ordered 2 boxes of 3mm Silent Coat from deadening.co.uk and a 2m roll of 6mm ribbed rubber mat from Amazon (actually from a seller in Bristol and significanlty cheaper than any Land Rover parts supplier). Obviously I picked the coldest day of the year to fit Rolling with laughter so it was out with the heat gun. Took less time to fit than I expected and was pretty easy to do. The hardest part was removing the seats.

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

I have left the upright surfaces for now as I want to retain a little originality and patina in the back. I have lined the inside of the tool box and need to re-fit the catch pin.
Rubber matting was cut to fit and laid before re-fitting the seats

Click image to enlarge

and most importantly rug back down

Click image to enlarge

I still have 1 box and 1 whole sheet of Silent Coat left over but I plan to apply this to the cab area shortly. I already have a Wright Off-Road cab mat fitted but hope that the Silent Coat will improve things further. With this fitted in the back I think i have lost about 6db when driving at 55mph (according to my phone anyway) but can have the radio turned down a bit lowe and can hear it all the time now. I still need to fit a rear seal and retaining strip on the floor at the back (the old one crumbled away a while ago).

Roll up the sides
Having had the new hood for 6 months I finally managed to get the sides rolled up yesterday before heading home from work! Very Happy

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Sides rolled up again today but no pictures yet!

Still to do:

-Continue to improve the steering
-Fit soundproofing in the cab area
-Fit MPH speedo, spare instrument dial (still to be refurbished) and new instrument panel
-Source and fit new lower dash (found mine is rather tender when fitting the vents)
-Adjust the doors (or even replace them). I also plan to make door cards.
-Wire up a front pair of speakers so that I can use my bluetooth hands free (aparrently doesnt work through the rear speakers but there has been little point with no soundproofing)

Apologies for the long post. Hopefully I won't leave it so long before updating again!
Post #692217 9th Mar 2018 4:26pm
Blacksheep

What a brilliant post, really enjoyed the photos.
Cheers Thumbs Up Time is precious, waste it wisely...

Defender 90 D200
Post #692232 9th Mar 2018 5:29pm
defender9

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 SW Keswick Green
Great post OD, like you I have the Purely Metal hinges on the tailgate of my V8 90, they make the back a bit more versatile and easier to clamber in and out when in sideways opening mode.
Post #692244 9th Mar 2018 6:10pm
LandRoverAnorak

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Orkney Grey
That is fantastic. I love your dog guard Cool Darren

110 USW BUILD THREAD - EXPEDITION TRAILER - 200tdi 90 BUILD THREAD - SANKEY TRAILER - IG@landroveranorak

"You came in that thing? You're braver than I thought!" - Princess Leia
Post #692267 9th Mar 2018 7:35pm
L110CDL

England 
Love the update OD Thumbs Up does Alfred live in the nice big garage at night ? 1996 Golf Blue 300Tdi 110 Pick up. Keeper.

Clayton.
Post #692291 9th Mar 2018 8:34pm
orkneydave

United Kingdom 
Thanks for the kind comments!! Hopefully I'll keep this thread updated more often than recently!

LandRoverAnorak wrote:
That is fantastic. I love your dog guard Cool

The guard is actually the base of the crib that my wife slept in as a baby! The rest of it was in poor shape after being in the garage attic for years so was going to the dump when I realised the base was the perfect size and shape to use as a dog guard to stop our springer leaping onto my lap!

L110CDL wrote:
does Alfred live in the nice big garage at night ?

Sometimes, but he has to fight for space with my MGB GT which is in bits and my Outlander PHEV when it's charging!
Post #692727 11th Mar 2018 10:29pm
L110CDL

England 
Thanks for the reply Thumbs Up 1996 Golf Blue 300Tdi 110 Pick up. Keeper.

Clayton.
Post #692961 12th Mar 2018 9:41pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 3 of 3 <123