↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Camping, Caravanning and Holidays > Fitting and opening my new Roof Lodge RTT
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
ChrisCM

United Kingdom 2010 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 SW Santorini Black
Fitting and opening my new Roof Lodge RTT
As mentioned in previous posts I recently purchased a Roof Lodge 165 Extended from Brendan at 4x4Overlander. I picked up the tent on a return trip from Scotland, fortunately Brendan has a roof hoist and we were able to load the boxed tent onto my roof rack. Tent covered by a couple of tarps and well secured I returned to Cornwall.

Click image to enlarge

Then, how to get it off? No hoist and only SWMBO to help.

Click image to enlarge

I rigged up a “ladder” constructed from an alloy trailer gate, hooked onto the rack and down to a table. We slid it down the “ladder” using some ratchet straps to control its descent.

All went well and I got it unpacked and fitted the male part of the Nakatanenga Cargo Bear Roof Tent Mounting Bracket to the base of the tent :

Click image to enlarge

And it was ready to go back on the roof after I modified the rack to allow it to open over the side of the Defender.

Click image to enlarge

The tent was then covered in tarpaulins to await the mods to the roof rack. First thing to do was remove the sheet of chequer plate I had on the roof. It’s been up there a few years and normally has a roof box attached.

Click image to enlarge

After it was off 4 years of grime was revealed.

Click image to enlarge

Looked a lot better after cleaning!

Click image to enlarge

Then the mods, I cut out a section of the side of the rack wide enough to allow the tent to open out over the side of the Defender:

Click image to enlarge

I then fitted the Nakatanenga Cargo Bear Roof tent mounting bracket using some rubber sheet and self amalgamating rubber tape to isolate and level it on the rack. I also cut some treadplate to fit on the rear section of the rack.

Click image to enlarge

I had wondered how I was going to get it up but with the help of my son we were able to lift it onto the roof using a couple of folding steps. Then all I had to do was bolt the two halves of the mounting bracket together using 8 Allen headed set screws. (Tip - insert all the screws loosely before fully tightening!)

Click image to enlarge

As we’re all aware the weather has been dreadful recently so today was the first time I could open it up properly. I did this alone, but no doubt it would be quicker with 2, took 19 1/2 minutes, not too bad for the first time?

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

There’s a rather nifty storage net under the overhang.

Click image to enlarge

This an inside shot with the roof windows open. The red cords are bungees used to pull the sides it whilst folding.

Click image to enlarge

I also have the room which attaches to the base and encloses the ladder, I decided not to try and fit this today as I think this will definitely be easier with two. The only other thing I didn’t attach were the two guy ropes to the corners of the overhang as I didn’t want to make holes in the drive. But I have to say, the pegs are very substantial, similar quality to those supplied with an OZ Tent, so should be able to take a bashing on hard ground!

Putting it away took about 35 mins, this would definitely be easier with two, on my own it took ages to feed the cover into its track as it kept jamming under its own weight at the feed in end, with a second person it would be easy to feed in the cover as it is pulled through. I would imagine this is true of all these type of tent, same as a caravan awning! All in all I’m very pleased with how quickly I was able to erect and put away the tent on my own. No doubt with practice I’ll get quicker!
I’m glad I put the chequer plate on the back of the rack and have chequer plate on the wings as it makes it a lot easier to access the tie down straps etc. I really don’t know how you would manage if it was on roof bars, nothing to hang onto! When erecting I purposely didn’t use any steps, other than the ones on the side of the Defender! but to put the cover on I did use a low caravan step to help me feed the cover into its track, maybe not required if two of us?

My impressions of the tent itself are very positive. The material seems substantial and all the zips etc seem to work well, it’s very roomy and light inside, pleased I went for the 165 wide rather than the 140. Can’t wait to try it out properly! When I do I’ll post a full review. 2010 Defender 110 Station Wagon, Santorini Black.
Post #660591 30th Oct 2017 4:25pm
leeds

United Kingdom 
Sounds like you have been busy Chris Thumbs Up

Please take your time in opening it up and closing it so that you find the little things which makes life simpler and eventually faster.

A spray of silicone lubricate in the ali awning channel makes it easier to fit the cover especially if the cover is held level with the channel.

The zip slider cord I would actually extend to make life easier. If the metal tag on the slider comes detached you can replace it with 2-3mm cord.

Turn the corners of the cover up when zipping around the corner and put the zip cord in the velcro flap to stop it flapping.

Personally I would have the ladder slightly more vertical.

Good luck and enjoy.

Brendan
Post #660662 30th Oct 2017 8:11pm
ChrisCM

United Kingdom 2010 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 SW Santorini Black
Hi Brendan,

Yes it’ll take a few goes to find the best ways of opening/stowing the tent but I was surprised just how easy it was!

I knew about the corners and the zip trick, I was pleased how easy it was to zip up once I got the cover well pulled down, a lot easier than the first time I put the then new cover on, rather stiff then. I’ll spray the cover channel with some caravan awning track silicone spray, as you say, that should make it easier and I’ll extend the pull cord though it wasn’t too bad as I could climb on the roof and wings to move it along.

When I deployed the ladder I was trying to aim for a level base, perhaps I’ll move it up a notch, it does look as if it won’t fit in the extension at its current rake!

Chris 2010 Defender 110 Station Wagon, Santorini Black.
Post #660766 30th Oct 2017 11:38pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1