↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Camping, Caravanning and Holidays > Soft Roof Tent winter storage
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
ChrisCM

United Kingdom 2010 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 SW Santorini Black
Soft Roof Tent winter storage
I’ve recently purchased a Roof Lodge Roof Tent from Brendan. Due to bad weather and a lack of man power I’ve not yet got round to putting it on the roof. The roof rack is prepped and ready to accept the tent, I got the Nakatanenga Roof tent mounting frame as well so it should be easy to mount it once I get the combination of strong son and weather together!

Once I get it up, is it ok to leave it there over winter? I had thought about getting another, made to measure, trailer type cover and putting that over it with a draw rope round the bottom edge, thus pulling the edge of the cover under the tent base (possible with the Nakatanenga mounting frame as this leaves a gap of about 40mm is under the edge of the tent base) giving more weather protection. Or do I take it off for winter storage?, a hassle, given the height of the vehicle and size weight of the tent.

So what do you other soft Roof Top tenters do?

Chris 2010 Defender 110 Station Wagon, Santorini Black.
Post #658579 20th Oct 2017 2:00pm
Hendrix

England 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Santorini Black
Ours stays up there all the time. We take the bedding out in the winter but from Easter on we leave that in. Give stuff a wash after a trip then put it back up ready for a quick getaway.
Post #658587 20th Oct 2017 3:15pm
ChrisCM

Do you take out the mattress / mattress cover as well? 2010 Defender 110 Station Wagon, Santorini Black.
Post #658592 20th Oct 2017 3:52pm
davew

England 1990 Defender 90 V8 Petrol PU Auto Rioja Red
We take our roof tent off and keep it inside during winter, not the trailer tent though as that's too big !

Flatdog offer a winter storage service where you drive there, they remove the tent and store it for you so when you want it again you just drive there and they put it back on your vehicle. An idea for Brendan maybe ! Smile http://www.yorkshireoffroadclub.net/
Post #658605 20th Oct 2017 4:37pm
ChrisCM

“Flatdog offer a winter storage service where you drive there, they remove the tent and store it for you so when you want it again you just drive there and they put it back on your vehicle. An idea for Brendan maybe ! Smile “

Bit far from Cornwall Laughing 2010 Defender 110 Station Wagon, Santorini Black.
Post #658610 20th Oct 2017 4:57pm
Andrew james

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Indus Silver
If the cover is undamaged, then leaving the tent on permanently is fine. I used to do this as taking the tent and roof rack off and putting it on again usually meant me organising three people to help. Not convenient on the spur of the moment trips.
Now I've set up a hoist in the garage to remove the rack and tent as one, to store. I simply put it on for a trips, it being now a one person/half hour job!

Click image to enlarge

[/img]
Post #658756 21st Oct 2017 3:38pm
ChrisCM

I’m jealous! Unfortunately I don’t have a garage to do this otherwise I think my problem would be solved.

I think I have worked out a way of getting it on and off with just two of us but it will be quite a faf. When we put it on I’ll post some pictures of the process. After it’s on I’ll reconsider whether to take it off or leave it on, perhaps with the extra cover. I did have a trailer tent which lived outside for a number of years with no adverse affects on the canvas (it was “real” canvas so I would have thought more susceptible to damp?) so perhaps I am worrying unduly?

Chris 2010 Defender 110 Station Wagon, Santorini Black.
Post #658857 21st Oct 2017 11:26pm
Docyo

United Kingdom 
Got a made to measure tarp from cunningham covers gor £130 to cover the whole roof rack with tent and storage boxes. Also covers the leaky sunroof !

Click image to enlarge
Post #658946 22nd Oct 2017 3:17pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1