↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > My Defender > An Anoraks Tdi Defender 90
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 21 of 24 <123 ... 2021 222324>
Print this entire topic · 
LandRoverAnorak

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Orkney Grey
I suppose so. It'd have to be cut down from the bottom of the tube as the top has a bend in it, and the windscreen brackets would need to be suitably located. There's a limit though, as if too low the mushroom top would hit the front edge of the roof.

I'm happy with mine as is, though. Darren

110 USW BUILD THREAD - EXPEDITION TRAILER - 200tdi 90 BUILD THREAD - SANKEY TRAILER - IG@landroveranorak

"You came in that thing? You're braver than I thought!" - Princess Leia
Post #656184 9th Oct 2017 8:20pm
Profyaffle

United Kingdom 
Great Job with the snorkel, your landy is looking fab Thumbs Up 1993 200Tdi Defender 90
Post #656265 10th Oct 2017 7:20am
LandRoverAnorak

Thanks. Still lots to do, though. A made myself a list of the significant stuff and it's still unfeasibly long Rolling Eyes

Next jobs will probably be side steps and a steering guard bar that I have waiting to go on, but all need some refurbishment before fitting. Oh, and making a wiring loom for the rear door. Darren

110 USW BUILD THREAD - EXPEDITION TRAILER - 200tdi 90 BUILD THREAD - SANKEY TRAILER - IG@landroveranorak

Post #656389 10th Oct 2017 5:07pm
LandRoverAnorak

A spare half hour yesterday allowed me to take care of a couple of minor niggles. First up was addressing a problem with my snow cowl, which was an early addition. It turns out that the wing top isn't quite level and the foam gasket I'd fitted has compressed slightly, which has meant that the cowl has rubbed a small nick into the paint on the wing.

Click image to enlarge

I've solved this by buying another wing vent (£2 from Newbury Sortout!), cutting out the grill part and using it as a spacer:

Click image to enlarge

This now provides adequate clearance and I'll touch up the mark next time I have the paint out.

Click image to enlarge

The next job was in a similar vein to resolve something rubbing. This time, it was the chain on the towing pin for the front bumper, which was scratching the bumper paint. I first swapped the standard bulky chain for some smaller diameter stainless and then fitted to it a length of convoluted tubing.

Click image to enlarge
 Darren

Post #657372 15th Oct 2017 9:52am
LandRoverAnorak

Today I began refurbishing a couple of side steps that I bought recently from Deaalan of this parish. They're only a couple of years old but were already rusty around the edges. This isn't helped by the plastic mouldings that Land Rover have fitted to them, presumably in an attempt to somehow pretty them up Rolling Eyes

Click image to enlarge

First job then, was to drill out all of the rivets holding on the plastic bits. I could then get at the bolts that holds it together and strip it to its' component parts. These were then sanded with a mini flap wheel and cleaned before getting a coat of etch primer.

Click image to enlarge

I'll build up some coats of Hammerite over the next few days and then reassemble it with stainless nuts and bolts. Darren

Post #657455 15th Oct 2017 6:28pm
LandRoverAnorak

I haven't driven my 90 for about a fortnight. It's a weekend toy but last weekend was spent driving somebody else's Land Rovers at Eastnor Cool

Click image to enlarge

I have slowly been finishing off my first side step refurbishment though, with final reassembly this evening. This has had several coats of satin Hammerite over the primer shown above and then reassembled with stainless nuts and bolts. The latter included all of the rivets that secured the rubber step cover and the plastic side cladding panels. I've left off the plastic cladding to the vertical parts as they really serve no useful purpose.

Click image to enlarge

I've started stripping down the second step now, which will get the same treatment over the course of the next week or so.

The 90 goes to Challenger 4x4 on Saturday to have new springs and shocks fitted along with a few repairs such as leaking swivels, so I'll barely use it this weekend either Rolling Eyes Darren

Post #661552 2nd Nov 2017 10:32pm
LandRoverAnorak

I collected my 90 this morning, after it has spent a week being pampered by Challenger 4x4! The list of jobs included a new water pump and coolant hoses, replacing leaking seals to both front swivels, repairing a leak from between the main and transfer boxes and replacing all of the suspension.

Replacing the water pump was to address a leak from that area and I thought that it'd be worthwhile doing the hoses whilst it was drained. The other associated job that I got them to do was to fit the fan cowl that I'd acquired a little while ago, which means that the engine bay now looks like it should do:

Click image to enlarge

The most exciting repair was having all of the suspension replaced. The existing set up was of dubious heritage and quality, consisting of Britpart shocks and unidentifiable, rusty springs. The ride was generally awful, with it crashing over pot holes, hitting the rear bump stops going over speed humps and leaning alarmingly into corners. I suspect that at some time in the past it's been set up as either a truck cab or soft top and fitted with lighter springs to suit, but it was hopeless as a hardtop.

Anyway, a few weeks ago I managed to pick up a set of new, take-off spring and shocks from one of the outgoing Adventurer 90's, which had only covered a couple of hundred miles.

Click image to enlarge

To these I added new mounting hardware from Gwyn Lewis and others, and a set of front and rear spring isolators from a Disco 2 and Disco 1 respectively:

Click image to enlarge

It's fair to say that this package has completely transformed it. The ride is firmer but much better at soaking up minor bumps like pot holes. It doesn't lean anywhere near as much in corners and just feels altogether tighter.

Unfortunately, I forgot to take measurements before the work but to give an idea of the difference, here's a side-on picture that I took a few months ago and one taken today for comparison:

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

The front has been raised a small amount but the rear has probably gained around 40mm.

And finally, here's what was replaced:

Click image to enlarge

Which revealed this little surprise:

Click image to enlarge

That makes me very glad of these!

Click image to enlarge
 Darren

Post #663510 11th Nov 2017 6:33pm
LandRoverAnorak

Procta wrote:
how is the repair holding up on the heat shield? my dads asking as he has his off and I think he may look at repairing it.

As a quick update to this, as I had the bonnet up today I had a check of my heat shield repair:

Click image to enlarge

It's now covered about 500 miles, including a couple of long-ish motorway runs, and it looks exactly the same as when new, which is nice Smile Darren

Post #663592 11th Nov 2017 10:16pm
Kit

United Kingdom 1993 Defender 90 200 Tdi SW Scotia Grey
Looks good, do you think the rear is raised because the fuel tank is in the rear on the later models? 1993 200 Tdi 90 CSW
1956 Series 1 Hard-top
1958 Series 1 Soft-top
Post #663614 11th Nov 2017 11:28pm
LandRoverAnorak

Yeah, that and the forward facing rear seats, which weigh a ton. It works really well though. I was preparing myself for the need to swap the rear springs for something lighter but having driven it, I'm going to keep them. Darren

Post #663641 12th Nov 2017 8:07am
Ellisboy

1998 Defender 90 300 Tdi CSW Epsom Green
Looks good Thumbs Up

Stephen.
Post #663643 12th Nov 2017 8:46am
LandRoverAnorak

For no reason other than a brief bit of sunshine allowed me to take some half decent, up to date pictures:

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge
 Darren

Post #664956 16th Nov 2017 10:24pm
Kit

United Kingdom 1993 Defender 90 200 Tdi SW Scotia Grey
She's looking very well cared for at the moment mate, also you reminded me I need to get a radiator muff sooner rather than later Thumbs Up 1993 200 Tdi 90 CSW
1956 Series 1 Hard-top
1958 Series 1 Soft-top
Post #664968 16th Nov 2017 11:18pm
bluebottle

United Kingdom 
I’ve just noticed your thread index on the first page... what an absolutely brilliant idea!
Bow down Bow down Bow down
Post #664970 16th Nov 2017 11:24pm
LandRoverAnorak

Heh, heh, thanks. I added it originally just so I could easily find stuff again Smile Darren

Post #665021 17th Nov 2017 9:19am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 21 of 24 <123 ... 2021 222324>