Home > Maintenance & Modifications > Known transmission faults
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Wheel

United Kingdom 
Known transmission faults
Hi Gents,

Please bear with me if I waffle and rant on a bit but i'm not quite sure where to start ;-

I'd like to ask if anyone is aware or knows if there are any known issues on Defender transmissions as my 2015 15.5k miles 90 is in for warranty work on the following ;-

Front hubs leaking (badly)
Front AC grille corroded (looks Censored )
Rr brakes squeal badly (almost always)
4th gear is sometimes sticky (although its been much better of late)

Yesterday morning started with a txt + link to a video of a tech giving me a run down of each of my tyre treads in 3 places (WTF I'm thinking, it's only in for the above) then he videos the hubs with oil all over them and then shows my oil filter which is also leaking which during discussion later I questioned if it was tightened correctly when it was in for its £958 (how much ??? + thankfully I didn't have to pay) second service.
I was told the leak isfrom the housing (as if it makes a difference that it wasn't built right in the first place !!!!) and that there was an issue with the transmission and the Tech has requested the OK to fit a new one.
I was thinking this must be "you've been framed" and i'm waiting for Jeremy Beadle to jump out and give me £200 !!!!

I had an update call late yesterday to say they're still waiting for approval from LR to change the gearbox as they say it crunches in 3rd and is "stiff" to engage 4th which they suspect is a synchro fault.
I explained 4th has been better lately and that I don't recall it crunching in 3rd. I also questioned who drove it as it's not the easiest thing to drive (they're probably only used to driving £100K RR's) and asked them to quantify "stiff"
I even said I wanted to go out with the tech to witness this but I'm off work as been sorting stuff today but may end up there today.

I'm still amazed that they think it needs a new transmission but was told they drained the oil and it smells burnt, is golden/brown and there were metallic particles in it.

Can anyone shed any light on this if they have experience of anything similar as i'm amazed (read totally f@€ed off) that a vehicle built to take on the world (which I haven't) has such a major issue so early on in its life.

I really have no faith in the garage, Grange at Barnet North London as in all my dealings with their service staff with one exception are absolutely useless and i'm worried they'll cause even more problems with it and even wondered if they're making up work although I know this isn't as easy as it sounds ???

Add to this I want it to move trailers etc about ready for Sodbury on Sunday and have a lovely XE Jag without a tow bar !!!!!

I must say I really like my 90 but ownership has been a trying process in many ways and I do wonder if I should sell it and move onto something else but I know I'll miss it when it's gone as, and I don't have to explain it here as we're all the same, it still puts a smile on my face.
Until that is, it goes in for a service or warranty work (which it shouldn't need) or I have any dealings with anyone at LR or one of their dealerships,
And to cap it all the vehicle I'd like is a RR Sport but it's still a LR and I fear the saga will continue.
I'm now waiting on a call from Grange to discuss what's happening/going to happen as I can have it back and rebook so it can perform it's towing duties or leave it there which I think is more sensible as it took 3 months to get this far.
Hopefully it'll be the one person there who is OK and seems to know what he's doing and uses common sense which as I get older I find isn't that common !!!!!
We'll see !!!!!
Post #653086 27th Sep 2017 8:25am
Balvaig

Scotland 2016 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 Landmark LE Corris Grey
Except for the gearbox, fairly standard faults.The Defender is renowned for them. At least your dealer has identified an additional fault before it becomes a serious issue.
The gearbox is smooth on mine, and I wouldn't expect problems getting into 4th. Again they are looking after you by seeking approval to fit a new box. Better now than failing later at your expense!
Just read the Which report which shows all Landrover models as highly prone to faults. At least the Defender is fairly easy to fix.
Post #653122 27th Sep 2017 11:20am
Rosco

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Montalcino Red
My 90 went through a succession of clutches which were only picked up when it went in for service by the dealer. I'd never noticed any issue, but as they were being sorted under warranty I wasn't overly fussed.

At about 2 years old I noticed the gearbox becoming increasingly notchy, reported to the dealer and replaced under warranty (with yet another clutch). Sadly this box only lasted 90 miles before letting go. I suspect it was never filled with any fluids, so in went box no 3 (plus new clutch).

All in all I think it had either 7 or 8 clutches in 3 years and about 90k miles, but oddly once the warranty expired although my annual mileage had dropped, when I sold it at 5 years old and 120-130k on the clock it didn't need anything doing at all.

Not sure whether that says the dealer was looking after me, or just finding work to carry out Rolling Eyes Whistle 2007 - Stornoway Grey 90 XS SW - Gone
2002 - Black Discovery II - Gone
2014 - Montalcino Red 110 XS SW
Post #653141 27th Sep 2017 1:50pm
custom90

United Kingdom 
Gearbox output adaptor shaft often left the factory on some models un-lubricated. Diesel$ Live$ Matter. ⛽ï¸ðŸ›¢ï¸ðŸ‘¨â€ðŸ”§ðŸ§°âš™ï¸ RED, WHITE & BOOST! 🇬🇧
Post #653159 27th Sep 2017 3:04pm
Coatesyyy

United Kingdom 
^^^^ No surprise there then Laughing
Post #655568 7th Oct 2017 9:06am
4wheeler

Australia 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 SW Chawton White
In my 2013 Defender there is a rev hang feature which keeps the revs up at times. This is almost always evident between 3 - 4th shift up. 99% of the time it does not cause issues but sometimes there is a hesitation in the change. It is always related to the revs staying high so I just wait a second or blip the throttle and then select the gear. I don't know if a 2015 has a similar feature. You probably have a new box by now anyway. Like my previous 2007 Defender, the box is notchy until it warms up. There are other posts throughout the forums on the rev hang feature.

Note to manufacturers - let me drive the car. Don't need rev hang, don't need idle jack!
Post #655586 7th Oct 2017 10:33am
Wheel

United Kingdom 
Morning All,

Sorry for late reply;
No new gearbox for me, I collected my LR on the Thurs afternoon after I was told LR had rejected the dealers request to change the transmission so it ended up having a flush and fresh oil.
It was parked up at work once collected as I borrowed a van for the weekend and to go to Sodbury, I mean Newbury so wasn't really driven until Mon p.m. and TBH I haven't done more than 5 miles/day so no long journeys.
So far it seems ok and I haven't noticed the gears crunching or sticking but if they do the dealer has said they will contact LR again re; a new box.
After a strip down, clean + deglaze the rear brakes are squealing again so it'll be going back at some point but I must say I really hate dealing with Grange Barnet as it always seems like hard work.
I'm still waiting on news of my A/C grille being painted but that's no suprise as they're absolutely useless at communication + keeping me updated.
I don't know if I'm imagining things or being overly critical since getting it back but the steering wheel seems slightly to the left and it seems to drift a bit left, could they have affected this (i.e. tracking) ???

Mark
Post #655784 8th Oct 2017 9:16am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1